1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress outcaster - Updated 30/11/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by RedManc, 9 Oct 2011.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Try writing directly to Laing about that error - they usually have good customer support.

2. Nutman

And also check the pump's power cables for shorts and bad solder points, etc.

3. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

LOL I had the exact same problem on my LianLi/Lamptron FC6.

As mine is silver (bare alu) I just re-lined it with increasingly fine wet n dry until I got it right.
    As an alternative, you could always re-face it with a spare drive bezel or scrap alu from a case window cut out?

4. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm planning on picking up a new pump on of the EK ones this as they are about half the price and pennies are hard to come by right now :)

As for the fan controller you might be right jeckulz, im going through two ideas about that at the moment just choosing which one will look the best for the work involved.

Thank or looking.

5. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

All is good in the hood!

Last night I made a quick dash to the hardward shop to replace my pump and then rushed home only to have more sense and leave the reconnecting of the loop until this morning!

~Here is my new pump with the same haircut as it's predecessor had!
    [​IMG]

And thanks to some nice sun shine outside I thought It would be better to get some pictures of the loop in day light so please enjoy :)

[​IMG]

HDD's and SSD mounted ... When looking at the hard drive on their old mounts I was unimpressed an though to myself, why invest in a thing of such beauty and compromise for the sake of money! It grows on trees you know!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally thanks to those who reinforced my idea for the fan controller mod ideas have been and gone and now modding is occuring!

[​IMG]

Thank you for watching and commenting all those who have ... say hello if you haven't :)

Congratulations to all of the MOTM nominees best of luck to you all!

See you soon with another update!

6. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Teaser..

[​IMG]

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

All starting to come together quite nicely now.

8. peteski

peteski long live the pc

loooking good mate :rock: :rock: :rock:

9. NoobNeb

NoobNeb Enthusiastic Lurker

Sweet subtle mods :) the case looks sweet stock and the white paint helps it look less bare :clap: my only problem with this build is that its not mine :hehe: wish I had the money to do something like this someday I will hopefully anywho Good Luck And Mod On :rock::rock:

10. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thankyou, more has happened with mdpc housing and such but that is for another day :D

Thank you very much.

Bah who needs money ... oh wait yeah. I'm sure if you put your mind to it you could make something nice out of the box you typed this message on ;) My old rig already has big plans for its future.

So the first fan controller panel hasn't been added to the build.

As I have using a hand drill seen in the picture to drill the holes for the leds and knobs they are slightly out of line and therefore do not give that No Compromise appearance.

Be that as it may I though I may as well continue to use to and see how to make it flush. Borrowed a dremel.. from my girlfriend :facepalm: ..and I cut the bottom and side fins from the faceplate and it fits great although I won't be adding it to the build due to the hole being out of alignment. This just mean I need to find the second 5 2.5 bay cover which is currently missing. :D

No photos of all that work by the way because I got lazy however I did take photos of somthing else.
    I've found a great way to cut Heat Shrink down to 15mm (ish) without the use of cutting rigs and all this nonsense.

Firstly cut yourself a 15mm (ish) piece of (3/8" - 1/2") 13/10mm Hose.
    [​IMG]

Place it onto a flat surface like so and hold a length of MDPC heatshrink into the tubing..
    [​IMG]

Then with a pair of FLAT nail scissors cut the Heat shrink at the top of the tubing.
    [​IMG]

TA DAH!! 1 Piece of 15mm Small Heatshrink ready to be shrunk :)
    [​IMG]

11. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

nice idea !

12. FiXeL

FiXeL What's a Dremel?

Yup, i usually go for the pre-cut shrinks, but this is a awesome idea! Oh and btw, i have the same keyboard. :)

13. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thanks very much, it working great so far ive already seen a difference in sleeving I have been doing.

I saw the pre-cut stuff and though wow life saver, but as its my first build I though get more bang for the buck as lots of shrink will be thrown away :D

Update Time!

For the life of me I cannot find the second faceplate I had spare so the fan controller mod is on hold now :)

I've taken a few new shots of the build as it is.
    Ive got it running now and its quiet, cool and fast which is what I wanted.

[​IMG]

A few shots of the top of the case, I really like how the finish has turned out, and I thought I'd try some different things with my camera.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I've used exsisting hole in the 230mm fan to guide some fan wires.
    [​IMG]
    welcome to organised chaos! to the top is the fan housing which I have soldered to the wires as I cut it without thinking.. :solder:
    [​IMG]
    I've used a few of the cable management clips with mdpc screws and they work great.
    [​IMG]
    Ive added a full 24 pin housing. although I cannot see it knowing that it is there makes me feel better.
    [​IMG]
    There is still work to be done, but i'm very pleased with myself up to now.
    Thank you for looking!

14. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Nice work there !

15. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

12 Days since the last update! shame on me, and even more shame on me for these horrid pictures im about to post.

Just some of the inside of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

It's looking great so far mate, even more so as its your first build/mod. Cable routing is one of the hardest things to get neat but it really makes the difference between a good build and a gorgeous one if you get it neat and hidden away as much as possible.

I've noticed that your 12v CPU power lead runs around the board to its socket. Pick yourself up an extension, trim it to size and sleeve it and run it behind the motherboard tray to get another cable out of sight and show off that lovely hardware more.

You could also get some rubber grommets for the chassis cable guides. These will prevent you seeing the gaps behind the tray and help tidy the cables too. If you look at my profile pics, you'll see a really bad quality phone photo of a minimal amount of cabling on show. In my case, it helps with the airflow too, but in yours, it's just so you can see the hardware and it won't detract from your water cooling pipe work.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2011
  17. Nutman

Looks good!

I have a small suggestion/question: the tube between the RAM cooler and the CPU cooler seems very long. Wouldn't it be possible to just connect those 2 with a very short piece of tubing, say 3-4 centimeters, if you turned the fittings towards each other?

18. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

In order to do that I think the fitting would need to be changed to a 90 degree fitting but I think it would give a much cleaner work. Although great job on your first mod ....

19. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Are you planning on a window?

20. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

haha ur a heat shrink measuring genius!! very good little idea
    looks good colors are spot on!, very busy in there tho, brading is always fun first time around