1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress outcaster - Updated 30/11/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by RedManc, 9 Oct 2011.

1. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments Sentinel, I had planned on creating a new cable for the 12v CPU but I think the extension cable will be the better idea for now. Custom cables cant wait until my next build ;)

As for the hunk of cable madness at the right side of the board I have a plan to hide this with a nice piece of frosted acrylic ... but SSSsssHH! don't tell anyone.

Hi Nutman, :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: tell me about it! I have cut about 40 cm of tubing down to size to fit into this connection in a nice short piece but all of them resulted in unproductive kinks! I did have two straight fittings in originally but the kink was the problem there aswell ... fittings connection maybe ?

kelvinb welcome to the log and thanks for taking the time to comment and a nice one at the same time which isn't bad at all :clap:

I'm planning two windows .. on one panel.
    One to open the 5.1/4 bay area which will hopefully be covered by a piece of frosted or backlit acrylic, and a second window in the usual place so I can look at the hardware. Also planning to light up the blocks with some leds.

genius:confused::confused: well who am I to argue :hip:
    I love the way you say 'very busy' when what you wanted to say was 'TIDY UP IN THERE MAN!!'

thank you to everyone for looking, the journey is far from over but the this is running now which had slowed me down tremendously :duh:

Last edited: 13 Dec 2011
  2. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Let there be Light!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up a couple of premade 3mm Leds today, as well as a little something for a new year mod .. sssh secret!

When I got home I realised I should have bought another 5mm LED for the pump top and I fancy a G1/4 Lighting module for the reservoirs.

Oh and for some reason I cannot 'Go Advanced' in my original post in order to change the date. If a mod happens to stumble across my log can you just take the date out ;)

3. Normano64

Normano64 What's a Dremel?

Nice shots you have there! Look likes the LEDs dosen't light up much but they light up enough to not make it to lit imo. ;)

4. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Is that amount of light what's actually being seen, or is the camera doing "tricks"?

5. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments guys, the LED's don't produce a massive amount of light but it is a little more light than the pictures show ... I was playing tricks with the camera, the camera wasn't doing it by itself this time :D led cables are now sleeved and installed.
    Naturally no photos, there is enought good looking sleeving out there ;)

6. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

:D

[​IMG]

:wallbash:

why did I start cutting on the good side .... yes the dremel jumped .... yes there are big scratches .... no its not the end of the world,
    we mod on!

[​IMG]

7. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Nice mod. ;)

8. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I've painted the edges which were cut the other day, no acrylic yet but I have a 6ft by 3ft sheet at work which I plan to steal a bit of . . .

9. Nutman

Looks kickin'.
    Did you mount the EK RAM block in the "wrong" direction on purpose, or didn't you notice?
    It's mirrored....

10. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

I did notice, the second I screwed the last stop fitting into the res and then cried a little ;)

Its wont be like that forever, im waiting for an influx of money from the lottery *crosses fingers* and i'll be buying the block which has been made for 4 RAM modules.

Also picked up a cheap inmatation of the Tape of the Gods today to mount the window pane.

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looking really clean and tidy. Red and black always works and never gets old.

12. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

hmmm... tape of the gods? *curious* :p

13. Nutman

It's a 3M product, I believe. Watch Bill Owen's "Mod Men" episodes on Youtube (or find them on mnpctech.com) and watch how he uses that tape for mounting an entire setup (monitor, desktop, mouse, keyboard, EVERYTHING) to a window - AND it stays there for the duration of all the shows. Pretty impressive stuff.

14. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Yeah check out MNPCTECH for the tape of the gods, I've bought the cheap version and as I say in my job, Buy Cheap Buy Twice, mine will not do jalf the job required of it.

Anyway on a more annoying point, I was measuring the perspex and then my brain shouted at me, I have cut the window 5mm from the back for the case to give a direct view of the motherboard when at 90deg to the side of the case. This means that when the perspex is installed I will not be able to remove the Door, but more important I will not be able to put the side panel back onto the computer.

So Side panel locking modifications are now required to close the case. :)

The lessons we learn!

15. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Think i'll call this build to a close its been up an running with a few hitches for almost a year now.

I have recently rebuilt the rig though, the eagle eyed amoungst you will notice i've changed the EK-Dominator Ram block for the x4 version which is a little smaller and its now facing the way I wanted it so that the EK logos are orinenated the same way.

Ive learnt quite a bit making this machine and ive really enjoyed it!
    Time to concentrate on another build!

16. Nutman

Nice! Congrats on finishing it.
    True modders' spirits: On to the next project. ;)