1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project BluBawx I by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 3 Jan 2009.

1. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Are you sure the cable is long enough? I reckon it should go atleast three full turns around the frame before heading to the connector ;) Just kiddin', looks good so far!

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

LOL. Yeah, I was thinking of shortening it, but decided I'd leave it alone. You really won't see it once the build's done.

3. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

I have some NB fans, they move enought air for me, but , IMHO, the Coolink and the Noctua are the top for the silence.
    Yes, Coolink isn't sexy-looking like NB, and Noctua have some strange colour :)

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

Yeah. I understand. I actually have a Coolink fan laying around somewhere in my fan stashbox....I need to get rid of some of this junk, lol. That Coolink fan had an annoying ticking sound to it when on full-bore, so never cared much for it. These NB fans really are quiet. I don't think I have anything to complain about them, really. :hehe:

5. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

that mobo is soo cool looking. not too sure on the render but im sure it will look good when finished.

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks!

It's not actually a render in that sense; I don't use Sketchup or anything like that. I just drew it freehand in vector and colored it. It served its purpose as far as showing somewhat what I'm doing, but that's about it, lol. I'm not big on mockups anyways.

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

yeah couldnt think of another word. lol

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

E.E.L.
    If you are still concerned about the Pico-PSU we discussed, TheAlien sent me a link to a more powerful one here:

http://www.minipc.de/catalog/il/431

200W with a peak of 250. Way more than I've ever needed.

Mod on,

john

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

I actually had come across the same unit while on my search! I skipped over it mostly because it doesn't supply enough power overall across the rails! Let me explain....

Here's the power chart for the 200V/M (both same unit electrically, but different shape):

[​IMG]

And here's the unit I selected instead:

[​IMG]

If you notice on the chart, the 120w unit I selected actually supplies only 2A less on the 12v rail opposed to the PW-200, but the 120w unit provides 10A on the +5 and 8A on the +3.3, opposed to the rather small 2A on the +5 and 6A on the +3.3. Overall, the 120w unit I found looks to be a better unit simply because it has the power where it's needed. I doubt I'd need 10A on the 12v rail anyways, lol, but it looks to be enough. The +5 and +3.3 is obviously needed as well for USB stuff, etc. and partly powering the optical drive and powering the HDD. Hopefully, I've chosen wisely, but I guess we'll find out soon enough! :hehe:

Thanks for the link, John and Alien!

theAlien likes this.
  10. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

thanks for the above chart and explanation:thumb:....I didn't notice the 5V / 2A situation when I found the 200M yesterday night.

I've been searching the net for hours today trying to find something suitable to power my Intel DG45FC , E6300 and 2GB DDR2.Not sure what kind of HDD and optical I'll be using.Wanted to use a 3,5" HDD and a 5,25" optical as this is going into my Lian Li PC A70B as a media pc in a big box together with my gaming setup.

Alan

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

No problem, man! I'm simply going by what my little pile of hardware is going to require in a power-type sense. I'm running a single 2.5" lappy HDD, a desktop optical drive, and a mobo with a 45W CPU and 2 120mm fans to run off the board's headers.

I'm wondering if you increased the brick used with that PW200 unit, if it will increase each rails' levels. Admittedly, I'm not a electrician of any sort other than simple stuff like wiring a molex connector or fan, etc. Rails are all foreign to me, lol.

12. jhanlon303

This link I sent Alan in a PM:
    http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=10#univ

specifically does NOT recommend the 2 small wall warts with full size optical drives.
    I have only used 1/2 height cd and DVD with mini-ITX.
    These people say to email them and describe what you have and they will offer suggestions.

john

13. theAlien

just about the same with me ............ and then there is the other power situation that I've got with the build I'm planning ......... The CPU and Chipset will be under H²O and that means powering up the smallest Laing,the 10/11 Amp one.................
    I'll probably have to get some small sized 250/300 ATX PSU and mod it smaller ...............

and before I forget ......+rep for the charts and explanation:thumb::thumb:

Alan

14. jhanlon303

Another quick thought too is that there are "wide" power Pico style power supplies that look like the ones I sent Cheapskate and he showed in the waterblock making thread. Some of them will accept up to 30V inputs and a lot of the printer/scanner/fax machines use a 30V input or 24V input.
    A thought !

john

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, theAlien! Appreciated.

John, I was looking at those wide pico units too. I think I'm just in that small crevice between low enough for something tiny like that and just needing enough that I have to go with a small ATX PSU. Yuck to the latter. :hehe: I'm going to try out the unit I selected and see how things go with it and keep the log updated with the info as well. Who knows; maybe someone else will be searching blindly through B-T's hallowed halls of info and will come across it someday. ;)

16. theAlien

I'll be watching your progress with the 120W unit .

Guees I'll have to get one of the "yuck" type units just because of the H²O setup I'll be using....

Alan

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

:hehe: I wouldn't really call them 'yuck'; I personally just wanted to keep things small, and having to install an actual PSU would be an issue. I'd say with your A70, I doubt you'd have a problems finding a spot. ;) I should know; I've cut on one too! :)

18. jhanlon303

I've seen a mini-ITX in an A71 clone and it still has room for 6 5.25 opticals, 9 3.5" HDDs and even a pump/reservoir!

[​IMG]

john

19. theAlien

True the A70 is very big but I too wanted to keep it small.I want to put the coplete system up in the top PSU/HDD cage with a triple rad mounted to the top panel.All together I would like to have three triple rads mounted.....all inside.........the small PSU would help the cause a lot......

Alan

20. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Please don't make me kill you...

All you have to do is tell me where you bought the motherboard at. You have no idea how much I have been looking for that exact board. Please, please, please tell me!

........or you will die........haha jk jk