1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project BluBawx I by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 3 Jan 2009.

1. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

OH NO.........please don't kill me...........:D....catch me if you can [​IMG]

the DG45FC was bought online here in Germany by a friend of mine ..........but I guess that won't help you much

Alan

EDIT: @aAsulc ...... a quick search shows that newegg has it in stock

Last edited: 14 Jan 2009
  2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Last edited: 14 Jan 2009
  3. theAlien

@E.E.L.,

looks like some numbers got switched around in one of the charts.

tiis is out of the manual in the link I sent to John:

[​IMG]

this one says :
    5v = 6A / 10A peak
    3.3V = 6A / 10A peak
    12V = 12A / 13.5A peak

the 5V SB with 6A in the chart you found seems to be wrong

witch chart is correct?I don't know..............:confused:

Alan

4. jhanlon303

Just plug the fool thing in and watch for the "magic smoke". Worked that way for years! [​IMG]

/end comedy
    john

5. theAlien

yeah ......but that magic smoke can end up being pretty expensive...............

Alan

6. jhanlon303

I have done a bukkitt load of mini-ITX boards from c3 on up and what still worries me is the use of full size optical drives and especially Blu-Ray. I'm digging for my new Liteon Lightscribe do everything DVD burner manual to see if it mentions turnon/speedup current draw.

All my systems used laptop style CD and DVD drives.

I search.

john

7. jhanlon303

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

LOL. Here, lemme Google that for ya.... (lol, that joke never gets old!) I was able to nab it from Geeks.com a little while back, whenever they get them in for like 5 mins. before they sell out again, lol. Honestly, if you can find it, you can grab the exact same board under the Albatron banner....

Here's a comparison...

[​IMG]

Look the same? That's because they are the same! :hehe:

Oh well. I had grabbed my Minix before that was announced, so no biggie. At least with Albratron the tech support may be easier to understand, lol. But then again, probably not. :lol:

Oh, man. You know...nothing annoys me more than inconsistent information regarding this stuff. I had grabbed that chart from a miniITX site that sells those models too. You'd think they'd proof the stuff before it's posted. Argh. :grr:

I don't know what to say. The 120 kit I nabbed still seems to supply slightly more voltage on the other rails aside the 12v, but that is good for the PW-200 kit assuming it's, in fact, correct. I hope it is, lol. I suppose it'd be easy to email them and ask, lol.

Looking at it more, I believe your new chart is actually correct. The 5VSB looks right to me now. In fact, why the hell would it be 6A, like on the other chart? That's too much, lol.

:hehe:

Oh, yeah.... :hehe:

That was a concern for me too. I actually considered going lappy drive for the optical, but Blu-Ray lappys are really high, let alone a decent one. I just didn't want to go that high on the cost. It certainly would have reduced build size considerably though, purely from a design standpoint! This is already small, but I would've made it really small.

The desktop units, assuming it's SATA-powered like mine, uses some of the 12v rail as well as some of the 5v rail. My ballpark calculations seem to be reasonably correct for power, but I guess we'll see come friday when I get the PSU kit! :)

Yes, exactly. When I'm trying to figure out how much power I'd need, I tend to inflate the numbers a bit too. It's kind of like ignoring the pink elephant in the living room, I suppose. :lol:

9. jhanlon303

Multiple project logs, mods in the modding threads, hanging out on multiple forums, working a real world job, and still you find time for dating!

I am in awe! [​IMG]

john

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

Fixed. :D

11. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Yeah sorry about the question. I have been googling it a lot, but I just have never heard of most of the sites that stock it, so I didn't know whether they were trustworthy. Thank you for the information!

12. theAlien

I already sent out an e-mail to find out what the PW200 can put out on the 3 rails..........

now it's just the usual waiting game for them to find the mail and get back to me.........

so......I'm waiting.......

Alan

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

No problem, man! Happy hunting!

I'm interested in what they say too. Please keep us posted on whatever info they give up, man!

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

Jan. 24th - Quick Update!

Alrighty. I know I said I'd be showing the case next, but....I lied. LOL. There's a reason. In order to finalize my design on the case proper, I needed to verify that the PSU I chose is going to work and stand up to the beating the system is going to give it.

Just to show I haven't been sitting idle here, I've acquired that PSU candidate and have been actively testing things. I also finally purchased a copy of Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit for use with this HTPC build. I installed that and installed all the software for it aside from updates, because I can't set everything up next to my ethernet port, unfortunately. That also presented a problem with the LG drive needing a firmware update in order to play the only BD software I have with me right now, a copy of Ghost In The Shell 2 (which was expected since it was just released, and the LG drive is a few months old so I'm sure the shovelware with it is a bit out of date).

Anyways, I hooked up the system itself to the Kill-A-Watt in order to answer some Q's I myself was asking; "just how much juice does this sucker need?"

Well, let's find out!

My impromptu 'test-bed' set-up. :lol:

[​IMG]

Here's the system on the desktop and idling for a while...

[​IMG]

...System running with Prime95 spooled up and torture-testing. Both cores saturated as well as memory...

[​IMG]

...And system running with Prime95 spooled up and torture-testing; both cores saturated as well as memory, and a DVD playing in full-screen as well...

[​IMG]

I was off a slight bit on what I was expecting, but I also rounded up on power requirements. Paranoia and padding the amps, if you will. :lol: I'd expect BD playback to be slightly more over-all, but I wasn't planning on Priming as well as HD playback simultaneously anyways. ;)

I'll chime back in when I have something of substance.

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

15. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Any update on this? I was really looking forward to seeing this finished...

16. jhanlon303

We will have to wait! Life is a busy place and interferes with all of us sometime, unless you are Bill Gates [​IMG]

Grab the popcorn and the liquid beverage of choice and chill out. Tis fun to wait. Will be worth it. Young dudes know things.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

john

17. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

haha words to the wise John! I am most definitely chillin* here!

*NOTE: me chillin at the moment means doing calculus homework...

18. jhanlon303

I have learned from watching Oldnewby, Bodaker, ArtbyTroy, E.E.L, Filimom and Cheapskate, and others that sometimes it is good to wait. Modders who do world class and front page mods are often without accurate timepieces. They tend to get involved with things and ignore the real world around them. Like a feeding frenzy in sharks! Spurts of genius then a waiting and gestating period.

Things will come in their own time. It is not for us mortals to hurry them up.

john

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, guys!

Things have been a bit hectic around here, what with personal/personnel issues with the business and uninsured motorists hitting-and-running my car right after I got it back with a new engine in it. But I won't go into too much detail about it. We're here for modding.

Ask and you shall receive...

20. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Ummm.... oh geese... what do i say...

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:

may I receive? haha