1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Project] Interior Des(k)ign - SR-2 - the Biggest Update EVER! 90% complete! 20/09/12

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wejjy, 23 Nov 2011.

?

Which do you prefer?

Poll closed 20 Mar 2012.
  1. Custom coloured/made cables

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Sleeved cables with heatshrink

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Paracord cables without heatshrink

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Yeah still living in the dark ages here in sunny d'wich, dont think they've ever heard of cable here, the average age is about 79!

Back on topic... Ergonomics wise, you are right the desk is too deep now to put anything on top of, plus with the top being the focal point it would be a shame to litter keyboards and mice all over it. Im a developer so I use a fair old space when I get stuck into stuff, with keyboard, mouse, graphics tablet and ipad all to hand I need a fair area so I have a seperate surface in the same birch ply that swings accross in front of the desk. As for monitors, Im looking for a third dell, and have designed a wall mounted triple head bracket, that sits high enough above the desk to obstruct the view, but at the right height too. Also had to think about making it so the monitors could still swivel into portrait mode. Well observed though dude! Hope my answers shed a little more light, without giving it all away too early! Oooh the suspense...not!

On a final note, buy yourself a plasma cutter, it will help the creative juices no end, and thanks for the kind words again!

2. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

I need to say a huge thank you to Gregor over at EK, he has offered to sponsor this project, so now ALL of the cooling hardware in this monster will be from EK, who already were in my opinion the best! I am awaiting a delivery now from them, and to say Im excited is a huge understatement! As soon as it arrives I will be sure to post some pictures on here!

Thanks to my new sponsor:
    [​IMG]

3. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Congrats m8!
    Gregor one of the greatest guys out there! :)

4. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks, Im really honored, and yes Gregor is just soooooo helpful!

5. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Well done on the sponsorship mate!
    Cant believe i missed another desk mod!

how are you looking to finish the front? :)

6. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks mate, beleive it or not, I had a discussion with another company today, so it looks like I may have another interested party! I'll keep you posted...

The front will simply hold 2 reservoirs, and an Aquaero 5, Im trying to keep it clean looking. The HDd will have a door over them, and the DVD/Bluray drives will have a cover too. You'll see in the not too distant future!

Thanks for your support again!

7. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

8. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Very effective. You make it look so easy.

Nice hair dryer action.... :)

9. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

I always use Sassoon :D :rock:

10. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Awesome build so far! Can't wait to see the result!:thumb:

~Bladesingerz

11. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks, I hope its as good as you all expect it to be!

Awesomeness warning!

My delivery from EK (my sponsor) arrived today, to say Im chuffed is an understatement, I'll let the pictures do the talking...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the fun part started, unwrapping goodies!

[​IMG]

I even got an EK hat, and a cup warmer! How cool! Thanks Gregor!

I also received an ARMY...

[​IMG]

ARMY of fittings, these are amazingly good quality, the 90 and 45 degree fittings are really nice, and they have been designed to flow well too, I cant wait to get connecting them all up!

[​IMG]

One more gratuitous shot...

[​IMG]

And also my delivery for some other bits arrived, these were just for the cooling, and of course the compulsory 2nd SSD!

[​IMG]

Now Ive just got some serious amounts of work to do... I am planning to do a bit tomorrow as Ive planned to spend the afternoon at my workshop so hopefully the case will moe along a bit tomorrow, I'll update when I get 5mins free.

Had a couple of hours spare today whilst I was waiting for deliveries so carried on modding peripherals for the final PC, here's what I ended up with after a couple of hours work with my trusty Vidal Sassoon Hairdryer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the mouse I modded in the above video...

[​IMG]

Thats all for now folks!!

Huge huge thanks again to my sponsor...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Dec 2011
  12. peteski

peteski long live the pc

nice derlivery you got there be nice to see all set up. keep up the good work :rock: :rock: :rock:

13. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Very nice package wejjy! Can't wait to see you play with it :)

14. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Im chuffed to bits, thanks!

Ta dude, I cant wait either, just need some thermal pads and Im all go!!:dremel:

15. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

cheezy pacage :), the stuff is good as always :)

16. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Any chance you could show how you tighten the compression fittings without stripping the paintwork. I've tried by hand, and I can't get them tight enough to seal, yet when I use a set up pliers/grips with a tea-towel around the nut, it always seems to strip the surface paint, or worse still, the grip.

Also, any tips on how to not get the tubing twisted when you tighten the hand-nut on the compression fitting, would be great. I found it had to be trial and error. Tighten, then it was twisted, loosen, rotate the fitting by the amount it was over twisted, repeat etc until each fitting was at the angle that I desired compared tot he last. A real pig when your rig has 5 fittings per "leg" and they each are a few degrees out and you have to keep tightening and loosening, untwisting, and then tightening again the fittings. I'm dreading breaking down the look to clean it out. DREADING!

17. bugbear974

bugbear974 What's a Dremel?

good luck for this project.

18. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Oh yes, I love EK stuff, but im especially pleased with the fittings! ;)

Hi mate, I'll do my best to help, first up make sure the cut is square as its sits snugly up against the back of the fitting, ive never used grips of any sort, but my fingers have quite thick callous' so I may not realise how tight Im doing stuff up? If they are new fittings then make sure the threads are ok first as some Ive had in the past (not EK I hasten to add;) ) have had rough fittings so they created a lot of friction. You could use a tiny bit of lube on the threads to reduce friction, this may also help with the second issue youve had too. As for that it does involve a measure of trial and error, but if you try to pre-empt the fact that tightening it will move it round and adjust accordingly you can often save the hassle, it kinda comes with experience but its still not a guaranteed resolution. Try the lube first it will help, and if not you can buy soft jaw grips, theyre lined with grippy polyurethane in the jaws, that could be an idea, but ive not tried it as never had a problem before sorry...

Hope to be of some help mate!

Thanks bugbear!

19. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Update 3/12/2011

Ok, made it up to my workshop this afternoon for a while, the 8mm steel bar section I ordered didnt arrive, so I was limited to what I could do, but I carried on with a few things, heres the progress.

First up I needed to finish off the modification of my fan holes to reservoir holes as explained previously in the thread I changed the plan, so had to weld up the old hole and make the EK bayspin Res fit, well, one side is done, just the other to do, not the best job, but I will tidy the welds etc at a later date so no worries! First ipup I made the side plates, I want these to be invisible when its done, so I made a template first and then cut them out with the plasma... Here they are fitted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needed to fill the gap at the bottom, so cut out a piece for that and welded it in too...

[​IMG]

All in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trial fitting of the reservoir with a couple of old fittings attached...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like a glove :)

Then moved on to the ally panels that line the inside of the case to hide cables etc, these were tidied up, and the holes drilled for the standoffs to be fitted, these are also 8mm high so they will coincide with the 8mm steel bar that will be welded to perimiter steelwork of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to crack out the plasma again and cut a hole in my hard work, seems to be the thing with this hobby, create it, then cut it up a bit! Fun times!

[​IMG]

Didnt have a former for this so had to use an old hammerite can instead, then rely on the trusty file!

[​IMG]

This gives you an idea of how it will fit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those fans will be sunk into the wood so that they dont stick up too high, the gaps are important for my other plans in the build...

[​IMG]

The rad is sitting 8mm too high at that, but it gives you an idea.

Thanks again to my sponsors

[​IMG]

Thats all for now folks, maybe more early next week... Thanks!

20. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Keep it up :D