1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Project] Interior Des(k)ign - SR-2 - the Biggest Update EVER! 90% complete! 20/09/12

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wejjy, 23 Nov 2011.

?

Which do you prefer?

Poll closed 20 Mar 2012.
  1. Custom coloured/made cables

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Sleeved cables with heatshrink

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Paracord cables without heatshrink

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Update 5/12/2011

Ok so made some more progress today on the case itself as my 8mm steel arrived. So did my Aquaero but I'll save that for another day... So the 8mm steel is to line the perimeter of the case, to strengthen it considerably.

[​IMG]

I had to be careful not to distort the panels of sheet steel, so I clamped it well and worked slowly to save the heat building too much in any one area.

[​IMG]

Started on the rear panel as it was the easiest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then moved onto the front of the case. I removed the aluminium angle as it looked a little messy and I had always planned to use this but had to wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its so much stronger now and holds its shape when I move it around the workshop.

Next job was to install the rad and fans on the rear panel so I worked to my plans again, slowly drawing things out and then out with the plasma to cut a bit more of my hard work up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then cut it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Result!

So on with the fans and rad for a trial fit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All fits exactly like it should, I'll do the other side next and then I can focus on the 2nd Reservoir and the Aquaero mounting. Then its onto the motherboard mounting tray and cooling etc etc. im happy so far as I can see it all coming together, and things that look scary at them moment (ie the colour of the steel) I know I can fix easily so I can see past it.

Thanks again to

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Dec 2011
  2. peteski

peteski long live the pc

looking good mate keep up the good work :rock: :rock: :rock:

3. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Glad you think so, thanks mate, I want this done asap!

4. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Updated 7/12/2011

Got a fair bit done today, wont say too much as I dont think people read it anyway, so here are the photos from the days progress...

[​IMG]

Cut down the motherboard tray and put the 20mm standoffs on it so its now sitting in the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut the Ally plate for the right hand side and fitted it around the Drive bays, dont worry I tidied the edges a lot befor fitting I just forgot to take a photo...

75% there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered a router today, it should arrive tomorrow so I can carry on with the fan placement as it is holding me up a little now.

[​IMG]

Rear right hand panel in progress

[​IMG]

In place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again to my sponsor

[​IMG]

5. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Just out of interest, how heavy is that bad boy?

It's looking like it's really starting to come together now. I love it!

6. SunkiiSh

SunkiiSh What's a Dremel?

I've thought of building something like this for a while, inspired by l3pd3sk, and you beat me to it! :D

Really nice work, think this is going to be dope! :D Count me in as a follower!

+Subscribed
    +5!

7. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Its getting there slowly, plus my router arrived today so hopefully it'll be big progress by the end of the week. Im hoping to start prepping for paint next week!

Not really beating you to it, L3p has inspired many people so you can do one too!

Thanks for the kind words and for following!

8. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks to my new sponsor I will be receiving some great Di-Noc products in the near future to use on the outside and some of the internals of this project! A huge thank you has to go to Chris for his help and for supporting this project. They stock all sorts of products like the 3M range but also can do custom vinyls for projects etc. prices are great, and discounts are offered for bulk buys and also for the odd project too. Just contact Chris!

Have a look...

[​IMG]

Thanks must also go to my current sponsor...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Dec 2011
  9. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Minor update 10/12/2011

Received my router yesterday so had a little time tolay with it, Ive never used a router before so it was a little scary, but after a bit of headscratching (obligatory I believe!) I got stuck in. First job was to make something to enable me to route a circle of 120mm. So found a scrap piece of laminate floor and knocked something up. Simples!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a little measuring, heres the results...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It helps me appreciate the skills of modders who work with wood, its a really nice material, but its the polar opposite of metal work! Reeee-spect!

[​IMG]

Next step was to sink the fans into the desk... I was scared at this point, did it in a few passes so as not to burn anything!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chuffed with how it turned out, but this took me aaaages!

[​IMG]

Underneath... Needs sanding etc but looks ok.

[​IMG]

With ally plate in place to give the idea of how it all works...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now folks!

------

Thanks to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Good work! Coming along nicely. :)

11. peteski

peteski long live the pc

coming along well mate keep up the good work :rock: :rock: :rock:

12. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Updated 11/12/2011

Ok so had some time free today, but not enough to trek all the way to my workshop, so thought I'd start on the mobo and the multitude of blocks that I have to fit. I must say, EK are awesome, and their new fitting mech for the CPU blocks is great, so much easier than the old type. As for the fittings, theyre awesome, I will never use any others again as these just work... Heres the photos folks, hope you enjoy!

[​IMG]

Dinner time! Not!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the blocks with two stage arcti-clean, smells strange but does the job well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Air cooling is gone! Cleaned chips up and applied pads where required... Took a while as a couple of screws had gone awry! Doh!

[​IMG]

Onto the Dominator RAM blocks, one of my favourite EK products, they look amazing lit up...

[​IMG]

Getting there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shiny shinies! Now for the difficult part, think Ive got it right as I want the tubing to be as low profile as possible because its in the desk, Im happy with how it looks.

[​IMG]

Dual loops are so much more difficult to keep tidy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this GPU.

Ready....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting there, just need to get the desk finished. Metalwork should be done this week although I have a busy week, hoping to get it in paint asap, then onto the wiring which to put it nicely should be a NIGHTMARE!

Oh well, be worth it in the end, thanks for all the kind words so far folks, keep them coming!

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Looks very swag and expensive! I like it!

And I am wondering whether or not I should watercool my little itx case, I feel castrated :D

14. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

Love the SR-2 looks really good!! i also love the fans, loving the redish theme!!

15. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Update 19/12/2011

Havent been able to get a lot done as work has been crazy recently and I currently have family staying with me so its a little busy! But here are some progress shots from the last two visits to the workshop...

I started off modifying the front panel to take the second reservoir as it was still cut for the fans so I welded it up and cut the right size hole out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I reinforced the edges with 8mm square steel and then set about cutting the slot for the aquaero, it was easy enough and fits really nicely...

[​IMG]

Marked up and fixing holes drilled...

Out with the plasma cutter...

[​IMG]

Sorted...

[​IMG]

Looks good at the back too but I need to make a cover for the aquaero as it will have a LOT of wiring to and from!

[​IMG]

Then I moved onto the front again, sanded it all down and started filling it as I want it as straight as possible, so I put a couple of thinnish layers of polyester filler on and sanded it down, the problem is that the temperature is so low thatbit takes forever to dry ready for sanding, so I put a layer on then leave it until next time! Its almost there though, soon I will be painting it! Yippee!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and I routed out a hole for the access to the rear of the motherboard and cut the aluminium cover panel too! Exciting stuff...

[​IMG]

Until next time, thanks for following!

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Its taken me a long time to save for the SR-2 but im so happy that I did. You should definitely watercool your itx, it is well worth the effort!

Thanks! I hope it all looks good when its finished too!

17. r1sKas

r1sKas Orange or White? Lets mod!

Fantastic build you have there!

I hope to see it finished soon :D

18. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Updated 21/12/2011

Limited progress today but steady is the name of this game, especially considering the cold wet weather, its not ideal for filling or spraying in. I will need to use a little more filler but its 80% there I think.

[​IMG]

I did a little more on the back panels before spraying them, first up cleaned off the rust, then cut the original idea out so that I can sink the rads through the rear panel slightly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next week this will definitely be painted!

Any ideas on colours you think would look nice?

Its been quiet in here, is it because theres too much information, or are people bored of seeing pics of rusty metal...

19. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks mate, Im hoping it will be finished in January some time, Ive already planned my next build and Im desperate to get on with it! This one is my ultimate but theres always room for more!

20. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

I might have missed it but did you make a bracket for the rad?

I've been watching all your progress. You've been going at a good pace. Personally I would paint it metallic silver if you want something with flair.