1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Project] Interior Des(k)ign - SR-2 - the Biggest Update EVER! 90% complete! 20/09/12

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wejjy, 23 Nov 2011.

?

Which do you prefer?

Poll closed 20 Mar 2012.
  1. Custom coloured/made cables

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Sleeved cables with heatshrink

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Paracord cables without heatshrink

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Not yet its just fitted in place at the moment, Ive made all of the measurements and wil make the bracket next time I go tomthe workshop.

Im trying to get it done asap as I need to use it, my netbook is just awful for anything other than the odd document, even invoicing takes ages! Im still thinking ofma few different schemes for the colours but I'll have a play around and see, thanks for your kind words though and the silver idea...Hmmm...

2. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

A dark/bordeau red with some dark would look amazing I think :)

~Bladesingerz

3. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thats the plan so far :D

4. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Tiny update as Ive had a busy week, ive specced up a few bits to send off to the laser cutters for the internals, but ive also managed to do a little more woodwork. It takes sooooo long compared to metalwork, but Im so glad I finally got myself a router!

Heres the progress...

[​IMG]

Routed out the sunk in recesses for the other fans

[​IMG]

Then I recessed the edge of the motherboard panel so it sits flush with the woodwork, got it right first time which was a relief!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it, but I have worked out a cable routing plan and these will be routed into the wood base too, theres sooooo much wiring in this thing its untrue. Im working on a current following device so that I can use a single channel on the fan controller to control a bank of 3 fans, without overloading anything, these will all be incorporated and hidden underneath too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

t4n6o likes this.
  5. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

been following this for a few weeks and so far loving it, cant wait to see it completed.

+rep on this .

the more and more i see of these desks the more and more i want to build 1 for myself, however being on the dole creates 1 problem for this.......... the money side

6. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Wow, thanks, Im working as fast as I can as I too am desperate to see it finished :thumb:

Ta for the rep too!

I think desk PC's are the future, cases for some PC's are just too restrictive!

7. weatherdown

weatherdown What's this button fo......

Sub'd. great work so far man. One of these days i'm going to build a desk. It's cool to see others taking after L3P.. gives me more and more ideas :thumb:

8. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

I suppose it depends on circumstances for case restricions....

if you dont have a lot of room then a case is fine (but i can't say much with the case i have lol) and same if your aint got a bob or 2.

But whereas a desk is a good idea as you can space things out to how you want them and your only limitations are your mind, money and space allowance

9. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

fantastic work so far! Love the desk and combination of materials, see them way to little! =)

o/t: is that a porsche or jaguar? cant believe noone have asked you about the beaty in the background! =D
    I'm such a sucker for cars....

10. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Hi Weijy,

Great to see another update. Been trying to follow but Xmas and families take up so much time. Not sure why they call it a holiday , because in some respects you're busier than at any other time. It's all good stuff though eh?

As for your build, I can't really visualise what bits will be what colour in the final build, so sorry but can't help you there.

Also - what's with all the filler? Are you not going to have a metallic finish to the build, inside and out? If not, what was the point in using metal to build the frame work?

Great to see you getting chance to work on the hardware - can't wait to see that puppy up and running. Benchies?

Looking forward to seeing how the project concludes now :)

11. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks mate, L3P deffo started something but its cool to see how many variations on a theme there can be. Ive had the idea for a while but he gave me the confidence to actually start it. Go for it build a desk PC!

Dude your case is huge! I had the 800D for a while which was nice but just very samey, at the end of the day its our different tastes that make modding so interesting, it helps keep things original. As for cost, hardware aside the desk materials have cost considerably less than my 800D so far...

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words! As for the car, its a 1962 Karmann Ghia and its a true 'sleeper' classic looks but capable of 12's! Its my dad's car, we are into V-Dubs in a BIG way! Fast ones!

Hi tattysnuc, good to hear from you again, I know what you mean about holidays, I definitely have less time than normal weeks to do stuff!

Colours wise I think Ive got it pretty much sorted now so no worries on that one, and as for the filler and covering the steel, it was always the plan to be honest, altho these things evolve so whose to say there wont be a V.2?!? I used metal to build the feame as its the material im most comfortable with, as you have seen from my uber slow progress with the woodwork!

Im looking forward to getting on with the hardware too, im waiting on a couple more surprises this week though, and then im away on hols for a week so updates will probably be a bit thin on the ground for a while, but when im back my dad should have some progress on the electronics side so we can really get moving!!

Thanks for the replies and feedback, keep it coming guys!:dremel:

12. Jamievs

Jamievs What's a Dremel?

This build is not just awesome, but much like other desks it is unique in it's own way. Very inspiring!

Keep up the good work man!

13. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Been away on hols but managed to get these sketchup renders/plans done and wondered what you guys think? Any constructive criticism would be appreciated...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks guys, I had a chat with a local firm about getting some parts laser cut so I should be working on it this weekend a little more. Updates on the way!!

14. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks pal, very kind words!!

15. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Damn this looks good!

I realy like the wood/raw steel.

Happy modding and enjoy when finished!

16. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks pal, Im going to the workshop Sunday and Monday so hopefully there'll be more to see soon. Cant wait until its finished!! I only have a netbook and an iPad for now...AAARGh!

17. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

Hi there, really nice build.

Just a question that pooped into my mind, have you left enough room on the lower section of the desk? for keyboard, mat, mouse maybe a bag of sweets :)

18. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I can't see form your drawings, but does the V shaped case sit away from the wall? You've got 2 sets of radiators with fans blowing/sucking facing a wall - I'm presuming that you'll have some sort of stand off so that you don't choke the cooling process.

Love the updates. I'm going to have a go myself with my desk this time next year, with a dual S2011 setup. All these amazing desk PC's have finally convinced my to butcher my habitat desk into something more.... custom. Unless my numbers come in tonight that is :)

Keep it up fella! It's really starting to come together now. The Sketchup images really help to see how it'll end up. :)

19. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks, yes the front lower section moves into 2 positions, in the position shown in the design it will just have a mouse and a keyboard on it, in the alternative position it will sit only by my right side (i'll try to get another sketchup piccy on to show it) and in this position it will have a Wacom tablet and mouse on... Its bigger than it looks! :D

Hi Tattysnuc, thanks for keeping me on my toes! It sits flush with the wall but the wall will have 2 radiator sized holes cut into it to allow the air in, and below the desk will be discreet grills to allow the air out. The cavity in the wall is approximately 60mm deep and the rads only protrude 20mm so there will be plenty of room for circulation.

A dual 2011 setup would be awesome, and I cant wait to see the build for it, but Im saving for tri keplar sli so im having to resist all temptations for a while! :geek:

Glad the sketchup images helped, and thanks for keepin me going with the kind words!

20. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Geat render man, I hope the build going well! Anything on the paint yet?

Just an idea on the lower part of the Desk: Won't a small hole be enough for all the cables? thats a pritty big gap at the end, and you might just get frustrated with stuff falling in there.