1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Safety Razors?

Discussion in 'General' started by glaeken, 20 Dec 2011.

1. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Last edited: 18 Feb 2012
  2. TheBlackSwordsMan

What brush and soap are you using ?

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

At the moment I am using Pecksniffs fern soap and a no name pure badger brush.

Taylors of Old Bond Street do some nice ones, their lavender one is great and the Trufitt and Hill sandlewood works wonders with the wife ;-)

Got my eye on a Kent BLK12 though for a future purchase: http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=373&catid=52

4. TheBlackSwordsMan

Maybe a little bit too expensive for my humble budjet but still look like one hell of a brush.

5. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Sandalwood soap and Simpson special pure badger brush.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap and an Edwin Jagger silvertip badger brush.

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

This morning.

Taylors on Bond Street Lemon & Lime cream with my big Silvertip brush.

I have 3 creams, 3 soaps & 8 brushes I rotate depending on what razor I'm using.

8. Privatedan13

Privatedan13 What's a Dremel?

Picked me up a £9.98 starter kit off tinterweb..
    Will give it a few runs over and then may request upgrades from my better half.

Haven't used one of these for over 10 years.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Can't imagine it'll be as good as the expensive ones some of the folk above have... but... How is it?

I'm half considering getting one of these, but I've got about 2 years supply of cartridges in the house (I don't shave very often) and a big spend seems a little daft if I can't get the hang of it. I've got fairly poor dexterity so that's probably more of concern than any thing else.

10. TheBlackSwordsMan

This morning I used my Proraso soap and the Proraso pre-shaving cream. First time I use the cream and I most say its wonderfull, its like having icecream over my face.

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Well, my second go on a DE razor today, only did 2 passes WTG again. Incredibly smooth. A little bit of sting but no way near what I had on the first time. I imagine next time will be painless.

@steveo - it's pretty easy to be fair, I wouldn't consider lack of dexterity to be much of an issue, unless you have difficulty holding a pen without stabbing yourself, then there might be cause for concern...

12. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

After four shaves I changed the blade and used some Lush shaving cream... My face hasn't been this smooth since 1987.

The lush cream is very good but it doesn't foam up with a brush, you can only really directly apply it, no matter how much swirling I did with the brush, just no foaming up at all and it would not apply in any kind of decent manner from the brush. Still, felt pretty nice though!

13. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Was it the Lush Prince Cream?

That stuff is brushless.

Doesn't say anywhere on the packet, you only find out when your brush gunks up and needs a good shampoo'ing

14. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah it was, I found out after I gunked up the brush and gave it a good clean!

Is the dirty stuff for brushes?

And yeah, it's annoying it doesn't say it on the tub but it tells me who fecking made it... Useful information there!

15. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Make sure you pre soak your brush in warm water and it should help with a good lather.

16. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Aye I do, this stuff definitely isn't for brushes!

17. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

SAFETY RAZOR are so much cheaper to use, it works out about 9p per blade compared to £2.43p per blade on the mach 3s, and the double edge blades for the merkur lasts twice as long a rip off mach 3 blade which costs a mear 5p to produce.

18. TheBlackSwordsMan

Around 11 years ago, when I started to shave I had a Gillette Sensor and the blades were 8$ for a pack of 5 at the local drugstore. Few years later my Mom gave me a Fusion for Christmas, it was shiny, the vibration system was amasing but moreover the blades were 18$ for a pack of 4. All this cartridge thing is a genuine scam orchestrated by the one monopoly supplier.

19. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

It was the Gillette company hat came up with the business model of selling the non disposable base unit ie the handle in this case for a reasonably cheap price and the patented disposable consumables that you need to use the base unit for a HUGE profit. Plenty of otheer companies use te same sales model now

20. TheBlackSwordsMan

Anyone have heard about the persona 74? The legenday tungsten/titanium blades from the 70's, it is said that it were so sharp and rugged that it could last for 4-5 months. Their succes was the cause of their fall.