1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Safety Razors?

Discussion in 'General' started by glaeken, 20 Dec 2011.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Oh those are so much fun, I have 3 of them and have mixed and matched to get as good a single one as possible.

This is one of them:
    [​IMG]

I have some completely unused blades for them as well, still with the original grease coating on them as well as an almost unused stone in one set. The little round tub still has some stropping compound left in it.

If you try and use it then make sure it is well sharpened and stropped and as for technique, I find that placing the blade flat against my skin then angling it just enough works pretty well. It is yet another shaving style to master.

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Any suggestion for a first safety razor ?

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Merkur 34c

Nice weight, not too expensive, easy to learn with.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I prefer the Edwin Jagger DE86 to the 34C, but it comes down to personal preference really.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The EJ is a fine choice but the 3 piece design makes blade changing trickier for a newbie so I generally recommend the 34C. I also find the 34C slightly less aggressive which helps avoid people getting major razor burn on their first shave.

But as you said it's personal choice

6. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

i'm tempted by oen of these, but being a 17year odl i have spots, and i find gillete 4 blades give me more spots and dry shaves/ecectric shavers irritate my skin, so would this be better for me?

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Yes. My boss at work had terrible trouble with spots & ingrown hairs on his next using a cart razor.
    He moved to DE as I recommended it and he no longer has any trouble,

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

i wouldn't mind giving one a go... but i doubt it'd cure my sheer laziness [i only shave when i have to] and i wouldn't want to shell out on something i'd never use...

9. Almightyrastus

That's pretty much my story too. That as one of the reasons I gave it a try (the other was to be able to shave like a sir) and now I get the odd pimple here and there and that's it.

I have had occasion when travelling to use a cartridge razor again and every time I have some problem or other with an ingrowing hair afterwards. The reason for this is that the multi blade razors pull the hair out of the skin a little then cut it and let the end fall back below the surface, great for getting a close feeling shave but also great for pulling nasties back down into the follicle and allowing the cut tip to catch and turn as it grows again.

10. TheBlackSwordsMan

What are the UK Prices ? I want to compare with CAD ones.

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yes, definitely. I have sensitive skin (it cried when it saw Ol' Yeller) and I find a DE razor more comfortable than an electric razor or Gillette cartridge. You just make sure that you use a good smooth lather, don't exert any pressure and shave with the grain. No problem whatsoever.

Nice link. Thanks! :thumb:

Last edited: 17 Feb 2012
  13. TheBlackSwordsMan

CAD the prices are exactly the same. A 34C + 50 Dorco Blade for 30 Quid, also the 37C for the same combo price.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2012
  14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I wouldn't recommend starting with a 37c.

Slant razors require a bit of DE experience first.

15. TheBlackSwordsMan

Well, I did it ! I Purchased the thing, like I said earlier 1 X Merkur 34C + 50 Dorco Blade for 47.50CAD shipping included. Quite a bargain

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Welcome to manliness, my son. :)

17. TheBlackSwordsMan

which brand of blade are you using ? Where I purchased the Razor, they have Dorco, Derby, Merkur ($$), Feather, 7AM, Sharp and Astra. The Merkur ones are more expensive but it is said that they can do a 6 shave journey.

18. Almightyrastus

When starting out it is a good idea to get a sample pack of lots of different types of blades. Different razors 'prefer' different blades. Some will feel smooth and glide through the shave whereas others will be rough and cause irritation, the problem is that what may work for me will not necessarily work for you (even if we both had the same model of razor).

I have had great results with the gillette super platinum in most of my razors but, as I said earlier in the thread, Feather blades are awesome in my Gillette #66 but a nightmare in my Merkur Futur and Wilkinson Sword ones are the best in my Gillette Tech.

19. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I got a grab bag of various brands when I bought my Merkur 38c. I've tried Derby, 7am, Merkur, Derby, Sharp, Shark, and Astra so far, and my favorites have been Astra and Merkur. With either of those I can barely tell that I'm shaving - very smooth.

But each person and razor are different, and as Almighty said, the only way to find the one that fits you is to try a lot of them.

20. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Ran the Futur over my face last night and damn that is a really nice razor to use.