1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Safety Razors?

Discussion in 'General' started by glaeken, 20 Dec 2011.

1. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I put up 4 extra shelves.

3 of them are full of my shaving stuff

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Like a BOSS.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I'v been using them for over a month now. At first I wasn't impressed and got rashes and cut myself on numerous occasions.

Now I can shave much better and it does feel like a closer shave than before, but it does take a little longer as I do 3 different shaves so have to reapply the cream each time like this guy (I have the razor he is using also).

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Just bought a beginners kit of an Edward Jagger DE86, basic badger brush and some of the taylor of old bond shaving cream, and some astra blades. Stupid question perhaps, but are 3 passes really that required or does it depend on hairiness and density?

5. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I'v found that 3 passes (with the grain, across the grain and against the grain) gives the best results. 2 passes, at least for me with the Merkur 34C, doesn't take enough off.

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

At first I'd start with a single pass WTG.
    Then 2 passes WTG.

Then you can start thinking about ATG, XTG & multiple passes.

It'll take a short while for your skin to get used to it.

I like multiple passes, I usually do 2 (WTG then ATG) if I'm just going to work and that gives me a damn fine shave (closer than with carts).

If I'm going out for the whole day and want to be BBS for the whole day then I will do 3 passes + a cleanup pass.

Once you get used to how smooth your face can be you end up striving for perfection and doing lots of passes. Although you need to make sure you don't go too far or you'll get irritation.

7. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Well my (cheap) trusty DE razor has vanished :(
    Grabbing a Merkur Futur and some Astra blades while I'm at it.

Upgrades are awesome :D

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Anyone tried using the Feather DE blades? I tried them a while back in my Futur (set to about 2.5) and it was messy to say the least, those things are SHARP.

Tried them again last night in my old (late '40s) Gillette #66 and it was so smooth, didn't feel like it was cutting anything but did such a nice job, no irritation or nicks. Just ordered a bunch more.

9. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Have heard great things about Feathers, but I don't think I've been shaving with a DE long enough to try them.

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

They're my preferred blades.

In a Slant they're like a hot knife through butter.
    In the Futur at 6.6 they're sharp and perfectly manageable.

They dull after a couple of shaves in the Futur but it's still a very close shave.

11. julianmartin

Well just tried my first DE razor shave with the aforementioned kit....my face......IS ON FIRE!

Did two passes WTG using the delta blades that the razor came with, i bought some astra blades as well but I probably wont try them until next week. Only nicked myself once but that was a raised spot anyway that I don't think I noticed.

So out of curiosity, as I'm sure this inferno on the cheek think will go away as I use the razor more - what are you guy's preferred after shave treatments? I've never been one for really stinky stuff as I'm a bit of an oenophile and it generally ruins the experience when there's a nice bottle about....

12. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Cold flannel to shut the pores back down, then some Nivea for Men sensitive skin stuff.
    Simple :)

I actually managed to find my DE razor yesterday.....
    On the other hand....my Futur should arrive today!

13. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I got an alum block this week. Wet it and run over any nicks or sore bits. Stops the bleeding quick and soothes the skin.

julianmartin likes this.
  14. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

This will come rather naturally the more you use the DE, but remember to not press down with the razor as you would with a cartridge razor. The weight of the razor will provide all the force you need.

julianmartin likes this.
  15. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I'd say you're using too much pressure & your angle is off.

Stick to a single pass for the next shave (and leave it a day to heal first). Focus on no pressure & a constant angle.

It's a learning curve getting in to DE shaving.

Cold water spashed on to the skin after a shave will stop small weapers & sooth the skin.
    I then go GFT Skin Food, alum block (stings at first) then GFT moisturiser or nivea stuff if I've run out of GTF

julianmartin likes this.
  16. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

For first two weeks my face also felt 'on fire'. It just takes time for your skin to get used I think, as I haven't had any problems recently.

julianmartin likes this.
  17. Nexxo

Shouldn't be.

A DE razor is not like a Gillette Mach3 that relies on pulling on your skin to get to the stubble. You should not apply any pressure at all. Just the weight of the head resting on your skin should be enough.

A DE razor is way sharper and more exposed, so it all comes down to the angle. The angle of the handle should be about 30% down from horizontal --just enough so you do not feel it just glide over your skin but there is some very subtle cutting resistance. If in doubt start horizontally, and as you stroke down gradually pivot the handle downwards until you feel a very subtle resistance as it cuts the stubble.

Neither should you aim to cut all the stubble in one stroke like it shows in the Gillette commercials. That **** ain't real. Rather make three or so strokes WTG over the same area, applying no pressure at all, and it will get all the stubble. I never go ATG; it should be unnecessary.

My favorite after shave lotion at the moment is Edwin Jagger's moisturising Aloe Vera aftershave lotion.

julianmartin likes this.
  18. julianmartin

My skin recovered in about an hour to be honest. I was being very careful not to apply pressure but perhaps it was inevitable when trying it for the first time. I'm hoping it's more a matter of skin getting used to it rather than poor technique - I have no appreciable rash, for example.

Thanks for the advice all....

On another note, my father gifted me a "Rolls Razor" today. Quite an intriguing bit of kit. It's a self contained semi-guarded straight razor/stone/strop in one box....pretty cool! Looks lethal though....

19. Nexxo

Well, as long as your face doesn't look like this:

[​IMG]

Means you may need to use a bit more soap...

20. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I'm using this cream for almost years now, and for almost 2 years I didnt had to purchase another one because it never ends. Now that you are talking about it, I most say I'm really interested in these fency safety razor. I'm using a Gillette Fusion for 4 years now, they blade are ridiculously expensive (22$ for 5, 36$ for 8) and don't last a month.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Feb 2012