1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Saturday Night Special.. OMG I'm in the MOTY woooohoooo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bulldogjeff, 15 Apr 2011.

?

Half hight panel or full hight panel?

Poll closed 8 Jun 2011.
  1. Half height

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Full height

20 vote(s)
    87.0%
  1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Power to the considerate folk :D:thumb:.

Nice panels Jeff good progress :)

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thanks Wayne, got to do more today....wooohoo

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Thought you would be finished by now. Can't wait for the paint job

Sent from my GT-I9000

4. bulldogjeff

lol I'm quick but not that quick and the paintings still a long way off.

5. bulldogjeff

Up date time...

I've got the front panel finished up today, absolutely loads of filling and sanding.

Last night I got the first load of filler in before running out of day light, then started to shape it and for the curve to match the existing one on the case......

[​IMG]

Then it was just a case or filling and rubbing to get it right. It took 4 coats to get the shape spot on....

Once that was done I gave it a quick coat of primer to high light the high spots and divots..

As you can see here the primer high lights it all nicely. then it's just a case of more filling and sanding until it's right

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is the end result. A nice smooth and blended panel...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top panel also got the treatment, the old "TT" embossed logo is now history...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hers a few pictures of the whole lot reassembled just so you can see what it looks like and it gives half an idea of what it'll look like when it's finished....

[​IMG]

And here a few of it reaching up into the sky...Yes it's a Bloody tall case indeed...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now..thanks for looking

Last edited: 24 Apr 2011
    RonanH likes this.
  6. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

That yellow is awesome Jeff, nice job, I'm subscribing :D

7. bulldogjeff

Cheers dude, Thats only the filler primer that I used, it still not a bad colour . Some thing like that would work well in a matt or pastel.

Waynio likes this.
  8. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Badass!!!

You finally make use of those intake fans if you were incharge of thermaltakes design team on this case it would be a godly watercoolers wet dream (see what i did there...)

What filler did you use always wanted to do something like this never new you could intergrate it so epicly into the exisiting case!

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Awesome, excellent body work & the yellow even though it's the primer really looks excellent & very much of the season fresh :D:thumb:. Awesome modding Jeff, not sure if I've repped or given stars yet so will do now :D.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

bulldogjeff likes this.
  11. bulldogjeff

Thanks DP, I'd love to have a go at designing my own case and seeing it massed produced. wait till you see whats going in to this and it'll all become clear:D
    The fillers bog standard isopon P38 car body filler.

Thanks a lot Kid good spot with the fans..+rep for that mate:thumb:

Cheers Wayne. That yellows more like a mustard colour when it's inside, but when the sun hits it, it does pop.

Every one seems to like that yellow and that given me a dilemma. Yellow was not amongst my choices for paint , but it does seem to suit the case quite well and with the orange fans that Kid has spotted, I'm not sure if I should change my plans slightly or stick with what I had before. My Gigabyte mobos blue and so are a lot of the bits I've bought. But I do have a nice Bio star AMD mobo in red that would work quite well.

Yellows not really my thing when it comes to paint, bit I love my metallics and metal flakes, so maybe a yellow with a gold flake in it....mmmmm I don't know....

What do you guys think?

12. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

that front panel looks great. I too must admit that I liked the yellow right when I saw it. It really brightens up the case and doesn't make is seem as large looking as it really is somehow.

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Personally i've always found that things with a flake in work better with a dark colour to allow the flake to accentuate it better, but as i say, thats my personal view.

Looking at the size and shape of that thing though you could easily take design cues from Smeg fridges its so massive. A top quality gloss finish and chrome accents around the grilles/drives/buttons. Just a thought.

Whichever way you go though i think it's imperative to not choose an overpowering colour. With the area you have available i think something like yellow could take away from other elements if you're not careful.

14. bulldogjeff

Thanks for the comments guys. It does seem like every one likes the yellow, but I've got a long was to go before I start the painting and I'm not to sure about it myself. This is the first build I've ever started with out knowing what colours I'm going to use. The one thing I was sure about was how I wanted it to look and so far it's just about how I imagined it.

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I remember a yellow paint with pearl type flake mixed in the clear lacquer mnpctech did a while ago & it really looked gorgeous :).

16. bulldogjeff

Ok then chaps,it seems you've all got a hard on about the yellow, well all except Throbbi (who's name suggests otherwise). I'll have to do a test panel,I'll use the top, but I'm going to have to but a flake in it, probably gold, to take the sting out of the yellow. If I go this route, it throws the colour scheme out for the inside

So what do you guys think, blue fans or go with the orange that Kidmod found. Personally I think that could be to much of the same thing

Over to you chaps.....

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: About the Throbbi comment :D.

Maybe it would for the actual hardware inside but maybe if you did all black internals or even a mix of a blue & black it could look really amazing :).

18. bulldogjeff

The original game plan was for blue fans to go with the mobo and either black or white for the chassis, both of which always work well with pretty much anything. I was never 100% sure what I was going to do paint wise so maybe there's a plan forming here.

19. Azh_fx

Azh_fx sup dawg?

nice log, where did you get that yellow from, I want to spray my Mountain Mods, I'm bored of black

had this thermaltake case myself 3 times now, loved the uniqueness of them, and everyone come by and say WTF is that lol

but resale value of these cases are very poor, sold mine for like £30-£40 a few years back

20. m1986h

m1986h What's a Dremel?

Great

Love this case.