1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Links Broke. Modells Removes. Hopefully post will get deleted.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2004
  2. El Nosba

El Nosba What's a Dremel?

tubing and stuff is fairly easy to do... its just really annoying to connect all the lines and stuff, and there would be no standard, it would be a case by case ( lol no pun intended ) basis

i could ( or ouija could, im sure he knows how to as well ) put up a thing explaining how to do tubing in sketchup if need be :thumb:

3. Tulatin

Please do dude! I'd like to start work on rads. Also, i just finished a ccfl. (up with a rad later)

4. ishiii

ishiii What's a Dremel?

5. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

how dou guys do all this!!! do u take a pic of the pices and import it or what i would love to make a case or somthing!

6. El Nosba

well, when i design a mobo, my first main objective is to find a top view of the mobo that i wanna make in sketchup, that comes first and fore-most then i tryand find any and every available view i can of it, once i do that im pretty much set, i just photochop the top view of the mobo and get rid of any and every bit of white space surrounding it, then i get the basic outter dimensions of it, make a rectangle corrisponding to the size of the mobo in sketchup and insert the top view of the pic and scale the picture to the rectangle i just made and line it up with the mobo on the picture ( taking in careful consideration that there is perspective in the mobo pic, and lining it up as best i can, then its just as easy as inserting components i have onto the rectangle surface ( meaning every non-proprietary piece IE: the pci slots, agp slot, dimm slots, the ports, ect ect...... then i hide them, cause there done and its a real pain to work and model efficiently with them being there ) then i call out any and every IC, and capacitor i can see in the pics i have, once thats done, i push/pull the ICs to proper hieght, then i design any custom pieces that may be on the mobo, that i dont have componented in my library, then i push/pull the capacitors, finally i color everything i can see, the i set it to show hidden geometry and i color everything else and as i color somethin ill unhide it so i know wat pieces ive done and what else needs too be colored.

lol sorry for the one big sentence, but thats how i do it :p

of course taking breaks before any part of designing something thats custom on the board becuase it usually takes awhile before getting it the way i want it and im pretty anal so ill make sure it gets done before i do anything else~

*edit* i know im kinda late on the tubing thing :blah: BUT its kinda hard to articulate it into works and ive never been good at teaching people how to do somethin, but im thinkin on how to best represent on how i do it in pictures, so it is comin

Last edited: 20 Dec 2003
  7. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

To make a tube, simply draw a circle and offset the face to your desired wall thickness. Use push/pull to extend the outer ring and the inner section can be deleted. Curved sections are more difficult and my chamfer tutorial should help. For simple 45 or 90 degree turns, just overlap two tubes and trace the join line, removing the excess tubing.

[edit] I was considering making a tubing section collection for joining together for any application. We'll just have to wait and see ;)

8. ouija

[​IMG]
    3D Bit-Tech logo

:clap:

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Sweet man:p

10. Tulatin

For modding/making., have an idea of what you want in your head, pick a view, then begin to replicate it. For accuraccy, use photos, dimensions - whatever is handy.

11. ouija

Robbie, the majority of my models have been measured and accurately modelled to scale. Other items like the swiftech northbridge block, I took the dimensions from the swiftech website and used images of the block for fine detail.

12. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

once i get my server up I wouldnt mind hosting this. Was gonna use something like php nuke or some other content management system for news and whatnot, and they always come with a download section with admin and upload and preview pics and whatnot.

13. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

that'd be great! let us know when you can help us out.
    :thumb:

14. ouija

I might take the time to learn php properly so if I do make a website for my models, at least it will be half decent :lol:

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

me too, i really ought, i am in my final year of computer science!

16. El Nosba

that was so a shot at me :waah: :waah: :waah:

17. ouija

It was actually a shot at my earlier attempts at php

18. El Nosba

meh, either way it was just a joke :thumb:

19. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I was bored so I thought I'd do a quick little model of the Thermalright SLK-600 I had lying around. I would've done the larger SLK-800 but that's busy cooling my CPU at the moment :rolleyes:

Thermalright SLK-600
    [​IMG]

It's pretty accurate but not perfect since I was using a 99p plastic Helix ruler to do the measuring :worried: The number of fins etc is right and most of the dimensions are correct to within about 0.25mm as best I can judge it.

I might do the clip another time but it won't be easy since I'm a total beginner at this.

20. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

@ very cooll i like it,

so i take it i need to get meruments of what ever i make if so were do i put them in?