1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your next gen Console purchase going to be?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 13 Feb 2013.

?

What are you getting for next gen?

1. Xbox 720

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. PS4

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. SteamBox

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Ouya

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. A shiny new PC

43 vote(s)
    61.4%
  6. Wii U (or already own it)

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't get why people voted on "Steam box"... it's a marketing gimmick (probably money making too, where the manufacture gets to pay a nice royalty fee to say 'Steam box certified" or wtv) of certification. Any computer with an HDMI port, can be a "Steam box".

Maybe I should do the same: "GoodBytes certified system". 10$ fee per computer.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I voted a shiny new PC.

The reason I bought a Xbox 360 back in the day was because the PC games market was pretty dead. That is FAR from the truth now, and the games I really love to play (FPS, Space Combat and RTS) are getting SO much love on PC.

By all means, I'd love to be proved wrong, but I doubt Sony or Microsoft will be able to show me anything remotely as exciting as Star Citizen or Planetary Annihilation.

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

My PC is in my office (I work from home) and my consoles are in another room plugged into a 7.1 surround system and a projector. This is one of the reasons why I still like to play on them. Some games are truly epic when played on a projection screen! Although I do have a 30" Dell monitor, it's not quite the same on the PC.

It's also the reason why I am interested in the 'Steam Box' - whatever it turns out to be. If it turns out to be a high powered PC in a small box for a reasonable price (hah!) then it would be good to plug it into my media system with my consoles. I would dearly love to play Arma 3, Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous on a decent PC on my projector. I would need to come up with a way of comfortably using a keyboard and mouse while sitting on a sofa though - something that has always proven to be difficult in the past!

Also, if the consoles are powerful enough and developers have the balls to do it, I see no reason why we can't have PC games on a console. At the end of the day, a PC and a Console are just a plastic case full of tech - there's nothing particularly different about them other than the level of said tech.

4. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Err, PC, not used teh consoles in so long, only to be so disappointed by Dust514.

I think the SteamBox will be anything that runs Steam on a Linux dist.

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have voted for Shiny New PC. As as I am technically building a HTPC based around Sandy bridge Pentium and can easily fit a GPU. I will also be owning a Steam Box of sorts, though steam will most likely not be installed on it at all.

6. October

October Mariachi Style

I voted shiny new PC (although as I've just built a new system I probably won't upgrade for a while) and Steambox. Not because I will necessarily buy a specific Steambox (so I maybe should have voted Ouya too...) but because i like the idea of a properly done really small form pc that I could lan with and possibly convince my primarily 360 based friends to get into PC gaming with. Not saying I couldn't build one myself but I can see the appeal of just being able to buy one. I'll leave my dremel here :worried:

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I said ps4 but that was from a default position of building a new pc. I consider that a seperate entity to what i'd term'console' though.

8. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Onwaaards my elite PC brothers! They can take our PC exclusives and replace them with crappy console ports.... but they will never take...... OUR KEYBOARDS!

[​IMG]

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

For PC games, Kickstarter is the Knight in shining armour! While there are multiple platforms, it doesn't actually really matter what their specs are, big publishers are always going to develop multi platform games that fit the lowest common denominator.

Sadly it probably won't make too much difference as to how different each of the next gen consoles are.

10. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Xbox for me. Mainly because of the community & people I already have and know on there.

Also a shiny new PC buy thats not exactly a next gen console, more a next, next, gen :thumbup: & I would be doing that anyway.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Kickstarter still needs to prove itself viable with the 3 biggest projects that everyone hopes to be huge sucesses. PA and Star Cit and Ouya.

Think if niether PA or Star are a success then kickstarter may struggle to continue to get the support it would need to develop games.

Ouya is a totally different subject and personally dont really see the point to it all similar to nvidias project shield. There is not alot of iphone/andriod games id really want to see blown up on a big screen.

Nvidia have shown borderlands 2 streaming but personally id rather just turn the pc screen on and game with a mouse and keyboard than some fiddly little controls.

Very few Andriod/ios games have any form off AA or high resolution textures. Mostly its all upscaled to the resolution of the device. Grand theft auto vice city shows this up quiet clearly.

12. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I really hope the PS4 and Xbox7whatever really get some nice specs though, so we can have some bigger games in the coming years. Graphics are nice, but stuff like the size of worlds and levels are an issue to me.

13. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Xbox 720 - I have always been an xboxer (not a fan boy i respect PS etc), but i wont be getting it on launch, ill wait for a few month. This smartglass sound interesting and the app already on the 360 is awesome (some issues but mostly good, especially the youtube one :) ).

I admit i sometimes wonder why i have it, but there is some games I prefer on console, like Call of duty, Racing Games, GTA, but its the kinect and the social aspect why i still like to have a console. Plus when my son gets a little older he will be able to enjoy it also.

With the 720 being a "media box" (apparently) this appeals, as being able to get movies/music on the big TV is always a plus.

PC - Well i recently upgraded the CPU so prob wont get a decent upgrade for a good few years now. But it will happen :)

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It would probably be a PS4 for me as the social group I play with all use PS3's mainly. How ever I hardly touch my PS3 these days and my life priorities and available time have changed significantly so I might not get one at all. Like Knuck the Xbox is probably one of my worst tech purchases as I doubt I have more than 20 hours on the thing.

I agree with Dolphie. The graphics aren't going to be a huge step up this gen so please let us have larger, more complex worlds and proper physics and complex AI.

15. GoodBytes

Pfff who cares about physics, AI and fancy collision detection...
    (Actual released game with full price tag)

16. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Xbox 720 for halo and of course a shiny new pc.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Why? Because if I want my Steam games in the living room I either lug my giant PC over from the bedroom (not practical), or build a new PC (£500 min.) which will still be pretty big, or have this tiny diddy thing for about £300 (my guess as it's competing with consoles) that does it for me. I'm sold.

It's not just about the hardware, it's the practicality.

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

IDSPISPOPD?

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

From the makers of WarZ - nuff said!

20. GoodBytes

No cheat code, that's the game. Check reviews :D