1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your next gen Console purchase going to be?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 13 Feb 2013.

?

What are you getting for next gen?

1. Xbox 720

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. PS4

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. SteamBox

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Ouya

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. A shiny new PC

43 vote(s)
    61.4%
  6. Wii U (or already own it)

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rollo

rollo Modder

I play steam games on a big tv for certain types they just play better, hdmi cable + wireless 360controller does the job. ( racing games, sports, gta style mostly)

2. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I am going for the new Xbox mostly for its media center features. Although I may play games on it occasionally, I use my PC for that most of the time.

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I'm not going to get any of them immediately, but out of those I ticked the ones I'd like to get. I like the idea of the next xbox because my 360 has been great but I'm a Valve fangirl so the SteamBox is the one I'm most interested in.

I also ticked shiny new PC because at the moment I only have an xbox as my PCs all died. Until I can afford to build a new one it's all I have for gaming. I'm not an annoying elitist, I like PCs for some games and consoles for other ones. They both have pros & cons :thumb:

PS4? LOLNO... Sony do not get my money. RIP Lik-Sang, gone but never forgotten.

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I will likely get the new Xbox along with the PS4 when they come out, I have a habit of playing on both current systems so can't see me changing my ways for the next ones.

Of course upgrades for my PC systems are always at the top of my list and will get the highest priority.

No real interest in the Ouya.
    Not a fan of Valve's creations so will avoid the SteamBox (I see no point to it for PC gamers) and I doubt I'd get the new Wii U as I'm still yet to buy more than one game for my Wii. :\

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Wont buy Ouya, Steambox, or Wii U. Unlikely to buy the new xbox after 5 RRoD on the first one that i had.

Also not intrested in Nvidias project shield seems like another impossible dream project as the last time i tried to play a game using streaming technology the speed was horendus. In the uk at least we just dont have the internet connections to play streamed games. Lack of upload speed been the big issue.

Ouya is a waste of space in truth, Similar things have been done before the whole Apple TV thing and using your ipad iphone as a controller for its games has been on sale for years and has seen very limited success. ( also costs similar money $99 £89 ) And thats with a much better HD games catalog thanks to the IOS Market place.

Steambox is only useful if you cant fit a hdmi cable from your pc to your tv i personally can so its a waste of space.

No intrest in Mario / Zelda and its clone of friends so no wii u for me. If Nintendo said Pokemon in full 3d was been released id be very tempted to buy it. Still play the DS versions using emulators. Even if its just a 3D port of pokemon black 2 they would probably get alot of peoples money.

PS4 needs to show a reason for purchase also.

So far im buying none of them.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Your network speed has nothing to do with your ISP. The idea of the console is be a portable OUYA, but with more power, and has as an added feature, the ability to stream your PC to the unit, if you want to play elsewhere (everyone copies the WiiU).

Ouya will have a collection of specially made or adapted games for it. There is a long list of confirmed titles for it.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hmm...there's a lot of tat about. The OnLive service technically had a good list of games for it too....

8. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I clicked Steambox, not that I'm defo getting one but I guess it might be my most likely option, but it wants to be small, quiet and inexpensive to get my money.

As for the consoles, I don't know. I've always had my head turned by consoles but never bought one until the Wii was about a year old (reason being cos I'd bought a second-hand Gamecube so had BC and cos girlfriend wanted us to get it). I really wanted the Wii to succeed, and obviously from a commercial perspective it did (at the time) but I fear it's forever weakened Nintendo's already faltering credibility as a console producer. There were very few games, even when they released the extra sensitivity add-on, that truly offered something new and worthwhile, and the motion sensitivity most of the time was just about how hard you could waggle (luckily I can waggle pretty hard, but that's besides the point ;) ) and that's because the tech was not as good as the marketing would have you hope it would be.

I don't know much about the console world, but it seems as though each party is depending on the sheer hype a new-gen console brings, rather than making it must-have because the experience actually IS must-have. When the xbox came out my younger bro bought it and the genuine feeling of excitement playing Halo, as if a new dawn in gaming had arrived (admittedly I didn't have a gaming pc then so the xbox filled an easy void) was something that I don't forget and I was sure I would buy a 360 when they were released. But then the HD-DVD/Blu-ray issue muddied the waters, and the early RROD horror show put me right off. PS3 was too expensive and too late to the party (and I don't like the PS controllers).

Because the last gen of consoles was a fail for me, I got a new PC instead and am quite happy with that, so if the pc can be consolified that could be good. I'll still play close attention to the new consoles, but the cost of new games, controllers and other peripherals is unlikely to improve and it's just too high.

TL;DR? It's a maybe.

9. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Edios presendet says 720 may block used games

Not good for Microsoft if they go for this and Sony does not. It could be they were expecting Sony to go with the same idea. Not sure if it would be possible to remove such a feature this late in the day

10. GoodBytes

The problem with the Wii, is that developers had no real idea what to do with the motion controllers. Also, publishers and developer saw it as a burden and headache to try and make good working, calibrated controls with the unit. Also, the problem that the Wii had, was that Nintendo targeting the price too low, where the CPU was really weak. It was just a faster GameCube, literately. the CPU is identical, just a faster version of it. This means that ports of game were simply not possible, well, lets say they were possible, but it required too much level of optimizations and re-write of the engine to adjust levels and such to be playable smoothly on the system.. while some devs had no problems due that were exited to have motion controls with the game, publishers didn't want to take the risk, so refuse everything. The Wii problem wasn't that it didn't do 1080p/720p, wasn't because the GPU was too weak.. but the CPU was a problem. It was literately a last gen CPU. No tweaks, no magic trick, no new features.

The WiiU CPU is not the same as the XBox 360, people just say that because it's triple cores, and it's from AMD. That's like calling your Core i5 a Phantom X4 because it has a 4 cores. It would have been nice if Nintendo decided to lose on 2 games instead of 1, or 3 games instead of 1, and get a better CPU, but now it comes down to multi-threading, which so far Sony pushes as well with it's CPU in the console, and now if Microsoft does the same with the new XBox, then WiiU won't have much trouble. Especially that also it has GPGPU support with direct link between the CPU and GPU, boosting (in theory) performance when implemented.

Nintendo did target hardcore gamers with the Wii, but Nintendo doesn't have 30 hardcore franchises. They had SSB, Metroid, DonkeyKong, and to some extend Zelda. (well there is StarFox, but we don't know if he will do a return).

The good news with the WiiU, is that if publishers wants to port the game they know that they can just stick a map on the controller, and call it a day. So the console will or should get third party support, or at least more than the Wii, except for EA, because EA is still mad that they could not have Origin system on the WiiU and have them get full profit from it and full manage by them. (Morons! Who in the right mind would accept this? And then get go all like a 5 year old kid on Nintendo, sulk and hide in their room.) Anyway Nintendo never got the sport game fan, so I doesn't really hurt Nintendo.

The problem that the WiiU has right now, is that all the really good games got delayed. So, there is Jan, Feb, and I think even March, no games, so WiiU sales will be even lower. I think Lego city undercover will be out in late March if I am not mistaken. So That will start to pick up, and the rest of the library should follow soon. For sure the WiiU will pick up big time at the year end with possibly a 50$ price drop, depending on where the PS4 and the next XBox will be priced at.
    Nintendo console always starts very slow.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Goodbytes theres been 0 confirmed info. They have 1 confirmed major developer square who are bringing final fantasy 3 with its premium price point ( £10.99 $12 is the reports on most sites). Theres 84 confirmed games all of which are available on andriod already to begin with.

The 2 big hitters are both on a wait and see aproach EA and Rockstar with GTA3 Fifa 13 or madden 13 for USA players.

Only thing confirmed is it will support the Google play store and onlive.

streaming games in the uk like i said is a no we just dont have the connections. In canada and usa where you have 30mb + and 10mb + upload speeds might be great but we dont have that. for reference 90% of the uk has below 2mb internet ( so a pitiful 150-200kb/sec thats not even enough to stream standard def tv for reference)

On live wanted a 2mb minimum and recommended a 5mb + so thats basically a tiny section of the uk market place.

Technically speaking did onlive not declare themselves bankrupt fire all employees then sell the company for a fraction of what it was worth ( £5.4million total i bielive the figure to be) Instead of trying to sell the patents which would be worth £1billion +.

It also got slaughtered by most review companies stating major inconsistancies in games and high cost. Standard sub was £8.99 a month on launch and £100 for the console that you required for onlive to work. Its since been reduced to £6.99 a month + £89 for the console so still very high priced.

Was also mensioned that the 200 games it has available were older games that are available elsewhere and alot of them are sega genesis games.

12. GoodBytes

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/informal-ouya-game-count-481-and-growing/

You should get a book on networking, even if you pick your phone right now, and call your IPS and cancel your internet, you'll still be able to have your PC stream your games to the Nvidia Project Shield console, as long as you have Wireless-N at home. Like the WiiU console, you won't be able to play your PC games outside your apartment/condo/house.

They closed due to bad management. They should have started uniquely in U.S or even some areas in the U.S, or in countries with good internet service in Europe, than slowly grow. What OnLive did is made offices around the world, with the equipment and all that, and hope that magically, just like that million of games will get the service.

Sadly it doesn't work like that. You need to build hype, excitement, need, reputation, lost and lots of demos, get the word out, and slowly grow. What OnLive did was pretty much: "Ok I have this great idea of a restaurant, it's so great I'll open more stores than they are McDonalds! Yea, now people will just jump inside and eat my delicious food". Doesn't work.

The console is optional. The idea was that SmartTV would have onLive app for it, and PC (media PC that you build and install the software, or your desktop or laptop if you don't have a gaming system, or want gaming on the go).

Sony is going to take the proper approach where they'll make the service gradually available, and the rest will be based on demand from the console users. If there is a enough demand in a region, they'll make is available. That's for sure they'll do that. Or/And perhaps you'll have ads, or perhaps it will PlaySation Network Plus members only. Then again it's Sony, they can just trow money at it.. but unlike Microsoft, Sony is bleeding more money the 5 main water pipe that burst. Ok maybe not that much, but they are still in a bad situation and such service, doing it free, wont' help their cause.

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

PS4 for me. Everything about it is compelling and looks very cool.

Sent from Bittech Android app

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I will get a console when they will officially support keyboard and mouse input, which is probably never; and no, XIM is not a solution. I had an XBOX360 for few months and the controller is unsuitable for anything else than racing, sport or maybe logic games. How about FPS or RTS ? Don't make me laugh, using a controller for those kind of games is a joke.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Sony will bleed another 20bil if rumours are true about the Panasonic buy out. Panasonic themselves are loosing crazy money.

Sony needs the tv and computer market to pick up which seems unlikely, there a company that has huge cash stock pile and assets behind them. ( basically the Apple of Japan)

A ps4 is not going to make a blind bit of difference to there money situation. They lost 5.7billion last financial year. Estimated for this year is an insane 6.4billion.

There loses worked out in yen for the last 4 years are close to 1 trillion yen. They have around 13trillion in assets.

16. bagman

bagman Minimodder

WiiU's game library lacking massively PSVITA has the same problem. I don't like Halo so PS4 is the only one I would consider buying due to GT6, Fifa with friends, god of war and Uncharted. Problem is with the likes of project cars, the witcher and fifa already on pc there is no real reason for me to buy a PS4.

17. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

Newer pc components at some point and new Xbox for me. I have a need for both pc and console to suit my gaming needs. PC for me is by far the best for FPS and RTS mainly because i hate using a pad for them. Sports, racing and platform games are console. There are always exceptions but generally thats how i play.

Id get the new xbox for Halo and Forza mainly. I've played GT 5 on the ps3 and i found it not very good at all, even with the extra time and money spent on it. Forza 4 is miles better imo. My brothers had every GT game but thinks GT5 is not as good as F4

18. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I love getting new PC Components, when they come in that giant box and all that..Its like Christmas come early! :D

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

ps2 emu is getting there, works great for some games. Gamecube/Wii emulation is very good right now.

As far as what I'm getting. Maybe new pc parts. Not getting duped into buying another feature limited DRM box just to play a few games.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2013
  20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

None really... Depends on who I live with and where next year.. Might well end up with a PS3 for Fifa and to use as a Blu-Ray drive / streaming box.

However, if it was just me I'd probably put that £400 towards another pair of 24"s