Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

View Poll Results: Which Colour
UV Lime Yellow 10 31.25%
Pastel Blue 22 68.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd Mar 2013, 15:46   #1
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
MINI MOTO MAYHEM: Photo Dump

DELIGHTED TO BE SPONSORED BY

Time to start a new project, This one is something I had in mind when I finished my first build but because of time/money it didn't start. This is going to be a long termer but hopefully it should be finished by the end of the year as there is a lot of work to do and hopefully it should help spread the cost of the hardware.

The name should give away the concept of the build, basically I have a couple of old minimotos that I can't run on track anymore (noise restrictions) and so I thought it'd be a cracking idea to utilise one for a build.

Ok some pics of where it's at

The bikes have been stored under a table in one of my sheds, it will give you an idea of how small these little motorbikes are.

A bit of a zoom shot, you can make out some old bodywork there too, this body work might still be used but I figure that i'll have to make some new bodywork or at least add acrylic windows and modify these ones.

Here it is next to my road bike.

So now the bike has been rescued from a life in a garden shed, this is what it looks like in isolation. The reason I have chosen this one is that it has a very nice trellis frame with plenty of points to mount the hardware.

Ok so now it's time to remove the engine, don't worry it won't go to waste, I have another frame that it can go into.

The bike without the engine, there's plenty of space for what I have in mind. I will keep the throttle and brakes, It will need brakes to help it stop....err yes you did read that right, I plan to put an electric motor in the bike so that it will still run and i'll still be able to ride it. (it'll raise a few eyebrows at Lan parties)

A view from the front, the PSU to run the PC and battery for the electric motor will fit under the seat. It'd be good to figure out a way of running the PC and the electric motor off the battery but failing that it will run off two different circuits.

I have made out a board that is the same size as a mini ITX board to give me an idea of how the mobo will be mounted

The system will be water cooled, I test fitted a rad, which is just a little too big so I will have to use smaller items. The reservoir will be in the obvious place, the petrol tank (gasoline for our American friends ) There will be two rads mounted inside the frame on both sides of the bike.

So hang on tight and watch where this project goes, you should be able to guess what direction I'm going in with the coolant

Current Project : BITZA

Last edited by Asouter; 14th Dec 2013 at 20:58. Reason: Add Sponsor
Asouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 15:54   #2
Phame
Hukkel's sex slave

Phame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
As a keen motorcyclist myself, this is AWESOME!!
Can't wait dude!
Phame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 15:58   #3
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.
This looks like it is going to be an interesting build. I like it when people repurpose things and use them for something they were not intended. Subbed and looking for more updates now!

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 16:07   #4
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phame View Post
As a keen motorcyclist myself, this is AWESOME!!
Can't wait dude!
Cheers man, good to see a fellow biker on here. I have big plans for this bike and it also helps with two of my hobbies. (Still waiting on the Wet Pi though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechh69 View Post
This looks like it is going to be an interesting build. I like it when people repurpose things and use them for something they were not intended. Subbed and looking for more updates now!
Thanks Mech, I wanted to start this project last year. So I have had a bit of time to let my head think more about what I want to do with this build and of course stuff that will be added as it progresses. The bikes would not have had anymore use, So I get a PC and I'll keep the other just for nostalgia.
Thanks for tuning in

Old 23rd Mar 2013, 17:15   #5
EvilMerc
Dew Addict

EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
A PC-bike!?

Glad you mentioned this over in the motorcycle thread, will watch this with interest!
Phenom II X4 940 w/ CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB G.Skill DDR2 RAM @ 1066MHz | Asus GTX 460 1GB (900/1800/2100) | 1.8TB of HDDs | Antec 900 | Corsair TX750W | Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Steam
I motovlog
EvilMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 17:20   #6
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I really like this idea. Using petrol tank as a reservoir will be great.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 17:34   #7
postmangav
Multimodder

postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I can't wait to see how this pans out. Had a mini moto years ago but just wrecked it.
postmangav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 17:53   #8
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.

Go on
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 19:10   #9
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
This is going to be incredible!

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 20:40   #10
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMerc View Post
A PC-bike!?

Glad you mentioned this over in the motorcycle thread, will watch this with interest!
Cheers EvilMerc,
I didn't want to hijack the motorcycle thread but knew some would be interested, good to see you following this build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
I really like this idea. Using petrol tank as a reservoir will be great.
Thanks Pranja,
I'm going to use an acrylic tank so the coolant will be very visible, it will be good to see it sloshing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmangav View Post
I can't wait to see how this pans out. Had a mini moto years ago but just wrecked it.
Cheers Gav,

I don't think I've ever seen a minimoto that hasn't been wrecked at some point in its life, this one has been through the mill. So there is a fair bit of restoration to do, i.e. stripping and re-coating the frame, wheels ect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post

Go on
is that a hint of a smile I detect there Wayne ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
This is going to be incredible!
Well I did say that there was something I was trying to get my head around, Good to see you Andy

Old 23rd Mar 2013, 21:17   #11
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Just the idea itself is...

Follow me on: http://www.facebook.com/enannanvision
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 22:42   #12
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizz_kid View Post
Just the idea itself is...
It's "out there" that's for sure

Old 24th Mar 2013, 21:03   #13
faxiij
Multimodder

faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faxiij is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
this could get interesting...moar, naow!
faxiij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2013, 21:17   #14
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by faxiij View Post
this could get interesting...moar, naow!
Yeah I know I want to have it all finished like 5 minutes ago. I've been checking out the body work today to see what I have to work with. The seat unit is totally shot!!! and that has the tank cover attached but looking on e-bay there's one going for 99p so watching that or I can get a complete body kit (brand new) for around 30. Had to rethink the tank design so should have moar to share soon

Old 26th Mar 2013, 16:34   #15
Asouter
--------

UPDATE 26TH MARCH

Time for an update, I've been searching for smaller radiators 160's would fit perfectly along the frame but by the time I've added fans they would only just fit across the frame and I wouldn't get any air flow through them. So a different solution is needed, what I have settled on is mounting a 240 underneath the spars. It fits perfectly

It also gives me more room above the radiator for fans (I won't be using this one) and mounting points for other hardware .... more of that later

Notice the bracket that's in the way of where the second fan will fit ? this is for the original fuel line and it just has to go

Out with the Dremel, It's amazing how handy this tool is

then the remaining weld and spatter (poor finish) is filed off

the finished result, it's all gone while I'm sorting out the finer details of the build the frame will look quite tatty. I won't get this painted until all the added brackets have been weld on and I'm 100% happy with how everything fits (so bear with me) I don't want to have to add stuff after it's been painted.

To make the tank out of acrylic and for it to be water tight would be near impossible without a proper mould and the use of vacuum forming kit. I'm not going to commission a company to do it for me as it would cost far too much, although it would look very nice I can't justify the expense.

So again a different solution is needed, I am going to sink a reservoir into the new seat unit but for now I am going to use the old one, so I can get a feel for the material and make sure I get it right. I shouldn't bugger up the new one. So here is the Old unit.... I did say it was completely shot but I'll tidy it up and it's good to practice on.

I taped it up and marked up where I want to cut

Again cutting with the Dremel

and filing (yawn)

I haven't ordered the reservoir yet so I will use a coke glass in its place and it will give me a rough idea of how it will look

and finally a few pic of where it's at

Sinking the reservoir into the tank, will allow me to fit the pump and route tubing out of sight, If I had done the tank in acrylic the build would have got very untidy

A handy pic, helps me to visualise the orientation of the motherboard/graphics card and what space is available in the tail unit.

That's all for now

Old 26th Mar 2013, 16:50   #16
Phame
Hukkel's sex slave

Phame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
How comes you didn't use the gas tank as the res dude?
Coming along nicely!
Old 26th Mar 2013, 16:53   #17
Asouter
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phame View Post
How comes you didn't use the gas tank as the res dude?
Coming along nicely!
Thanks man, the tank doesn't have a bottom, it's just a cover for a cheap and nasty container, the one in the first post

Old 26th Mar 2013, 16:56   #18
Phame
Hukkel's sex slave

What an idiot, I just skipped to see what was new! xD
Old 26th Mar 2013, 17:00   #19
Asouter
--------

Ha, that's the kinda thing I do but I just don't want to use that container, it would make things easier but I'd lose space under the tank cover and the coolant wouldn't be visible.

Old 30th Mar 2013, 22:38   #20
wiby645
Multimodder

wiby645 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwiby645 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwiby645 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwiby645 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwiby645 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwiby645 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwiby645 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwiby645 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is freaking awesome
wiby645 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode