1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No PS3 price drop for Europe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Aug 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I thought that I would drop a simple comment: Sony, ARE YOU STUPID?!?!?!?!

3. img

img Minimodder

and im happy to buy a Wii and a 360 instead

4. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

the link doesn't work in the story...

And i have to agree, sony are rather silly for not trying to compete on price when thats one of the big factors affecting the purchasing choices atm.

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Are there any 20gig units knocking around cheap?

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

PS3 is only £50 mor ethan the Elite. Elite £300 Ps3 can be got for £350 with no games or extra controller. Not too expensive

7. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Yes but you dont need an elite. The premium is more than sufficient which can be had for £230. In fact just seen the premium with Forza2 with £250 - cracking price in my opinion.

Thats £120 difference. You can get some pretty good games for that, Bioshock can be had for £30 for instance.

8. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

PS3 60gig.... only the console, £330, that's the cheapest price I could find. So $655... adjusted for VAT it's $540
    Th US 80 model bundled with Motorstorm is $599
    The 60gig model on it's own is $499.
    Now.. the RRP for the 60gig PS3 is £425. Since they are able chop off almost a £100 then Sony must be giving some very healthy margins for retailers..
    So I suspect, given the above figures, the UK has had a price cut.. but it's at the retailer's discretion. Interesting.
    The issue should be "where is the 80gig model for us!!" Because that upgrade and the selling off of the US 60gig version with a short term discount is what we are missing out on.

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

60 GB hdd? 80 GB hdd? 120 GB hdd?

honestly....

both, ms and sony are trying to push digtial download purchases, hd content and so on...

atleast put a 500 GB HDD into it pls....

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

haha...i read this bit:

We're really happy with the way that things are going for the PAL business. We really are. It's on track

and read:

We're really happy about how much money we milk from PAL users. We really are. It makes a mint

11. dizzyboy

dizzyboy What's a Dremel?

they've gotta reduce the prices before christmas...otherwise they gonna fall even more behind in sales...

12. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

and you don't think M$ is milking everybody on their console, too? Let alone having you all pay for XBL and accessories galore.....honestly look what you're getting w/ the PS3 and open your minds up a little bit and know that you get more w/ the PS3 and that's why it costs more....but honestly it is too pricy for the average Joe (not directed at Mr. Martin btw) and that's what matters to everyone here on this forum (including me) because I'm not fresh out of college making $40K a year, let alone have that kind of money in my pocket....but when it comes down to it the PS3 offers more features/futureproofing for the money and for the PS3 only being £50 more than the Elite, that's pretty good....I mean just add in XBL costs and the HD-DVD add-on (include S+H) and the Elite now costs MORE than the PS3 (I know this applies to like 5% of all Elite owners, but still)...any way you look at it, it's up to the consumer to make the decision on what things matter most: is it cost, features, reliability, specific games, etc?....and almost anyone that doesn't have $500-600 saved up is going to go with the 360 Premium or Core, stick w/ their PS2 or just wait until they have the money....it just makes sense.....

Last edited: 24 Aug 2007
  13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It's such a shame, because I WANT to like the ps3. This kind of price issue is why I stay 1/2 a generation behind with consoles. I got my original xbox for £80 with a starter pack, and my games were about £5 a pop :rock:

14. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

This isn't about the cost of the PS3 vs. the cost of 360. It's the fact that it costs more in Europe and we don't have an 80GB version. At US or Japanese prices it's not a "bad" price considering the functionality. But here in the UK the RRP is £425 for a 60GB on it's own.. that's $843. Would you pay that much for it?

15. devdevil85

Holy crap!, that's expensive; even for the bundle. I feel sorry for you guys. They do need to lower the price. Geese.....how much is the 360 or the Elite? Are they just as expensive?

16. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Th Elite is £300/$595 and the premium is £250/$496... so that's still more than the US price.

17. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

They have to say that there is no price cut, otherwise they wouldn't sell any consoles until the price cut happens ....

18. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I reckon the PS3 is simply too expensive for what you get, big deal they say they won't cut the price but chuck in some more kit - still not convinced.
    I'd buy a Wii first just for the giggle factor of flailling your arms about especially after a few beers at a house party, probably buy a 360 once they sort out the hardware faults but I couldn't see myself with a PS3.

19. devdevil85

Would a price-cut & 100 new titles this Xmas sway you?

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"It's important to get a window so that someone's played a game and they're ready for the next one, because they don't have huge wallets and they can't go out and buy five games at 59 Euros all the time. So we're trying to do pillar titles every month."

what? what has this have to do with the consoles price? and devdevil85 if you think it is expensive here go see how much it costs in Brazil.

Tags: Add Tags