1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

Scooby - help!! (or anyone else for that matter!) - I'm stuck... trying to turn a proper endtank for PA160 SU via same method as for bowl in the DDC base... cept it's lopping out the corners... previous rads were just done by regular rectangles and softening edges - fancied doing this one "right"...

[​IMG]
    Sketchup file: http://www.thermochill.com/sketchup/PA160EndTank.skp - Camera > View > Bottom - it's upside down in the file :D

I've tried drawing the wireframe mesh in by hand, cept it doesn't fill in the surface as you go for some reason... Have then tried drawing rectangles onto the mesh to force the surface - still a no-go. The four associated radii / arcs have the same segment count (as I've now drawn the ENTIRE mesh in and there were none left over - all align perfectly).

[​IMG]
    I then moved onto an Isometric grid... which had SOME success, but not much - Sketchup puts in surfaces where it feels like almost at random as you draw it...
    [​IMG]

I don't know any other way other than making / positioning a donut inside each corner, flush to each surface, but that seems a VERY arse-about-face way of doing it...

Last edited: 16 Oct 2007
  2. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Hang on, I'll take a look.

OK, Marci do this... I'll try to make it easy...

Use the Scale tool and increase the whole thing by 10mm. Just type 10 in the VCB (Value Control Box) then enter. This will increase the size of your work.

Do your thing.

Then reduce be using your Scale tool again and this time type .1 in the VCB. this will reduce it back to your original size.

I hope this make sence to you if not I'll do a step-by-step for you. I actually did it and it looks good to go.

3. Marci

The midway stage - just so you can see the profile and path I used...

[​IMG]

Also tried using an inner profile instead of an outer profile - does the same thing...

[​IMG]

Then I figured it could be because I'm working at such a relatively small scale as far as SU is concerned, so used the offset tool to scale it up and try it (ie: in case it's simply because the radius is too small)... still the same, altho not half as bad as the smaller version...

[​IMG]

4. scooby

scooby Minimodder

SU is size sensetive. If you find yourself making something and it is not turning out your piece mayby to small. Increase your art work's size and do what you need to do. You will now notice that what didn't work at the original size will now be completed. If satisfied with the final work just reduce it back to it's original size.

5. Marci

Cheers d00d - Done it - as you say, have to do it large scale, then scale it back down to the correct size... which sucks slightly, but heyho!

[​IMG]

6. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Why are you working in sections? You don't need to for this piece.

Sending file to you..check your email in a minute.

7. Marci

Cheers d00d - all makes perfect sense - wasn't sure how SU would handle the overlap at each corner as it rotates thru so was avoiding, then filling in the missing panels... yer a star!! Home time now... :D

8. scooby

scooby Minimodder

I hope it made sence to you. You have to learn the "Follow Me" tool. It will do wonders. I'll make a step-by-step for you later.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I solved this problem ages ago, when I worked out the template for a stainless steel sink/worktop.

[​IMG]

As scooby says, just use the "Follow Me" tool.

10. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Nice one Nexxo...we were all beginers once. A while back I was working in a mech robot (Gundam) and posted it HERE. Well I finish it, here is the end product...you like?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More detailed pics.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/djs61/Mecha/OMGJetpack2aa.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/djs61/Mecha/OMGJetpack2ca.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/djs61/Mecha/OMGJetpack2ea.jpg

And yes...all done in SU. BTW this model stands 130' tall or was it 160' and is a whopping 23mb file. I did this project for practise and learned a lot from doing it and I'm still learning.:D

11. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

would love to see that as a clay render.

12. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Holy smokes a gundam sketchup!!! Was just looking at Burke's what gundam was it based off of?

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Marci = the sh*t, thanks for the block

I hate doing tubing, I just build a water cooling system(in SU), everything is done except all the tubing, I hate doing tubing

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Now that's just showing off. :p

Do a render in Vue d'Esprit. Unlike Bryce, it will accept .skp files.

SketchUp is very intuitive, but its simplicity means that it has to sacrifice on complex operations which we then have to find tricks around (usually involving some laborious method). I guess architects usually don't have much call for complex rounded corners...

When I get some time I'll do a little "how to" on the sinks that I did.

15. scooby

scooby Minimodder

I'm still learning the rendering parts of this, I have never used Vue before but I'll look in to it. I have used Kerkythea and Podium and I'm still learning how to really use it well. Is Vue easier to use than Kerkythea or Podium?

Well Jezz here are some clay rendering using Kerkythea 2007, very simple and as a matter of fact this is the first time I tried rendering in clay. Rendering really makes the piece look so solid unlike the line drawing in 3D. I'm very happy with the outcome. Thank for asking me to do it Jezz, now I'll do this more offen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To answer your question Supra55 the main mech is model after the GAT X-105 Strike Gundam, the back array I got from a nother mech...I forgot which one it was but I choose it cuz it makes the whole mech look dang mean.

I agree with you 100%. We kind of take SU 3D design out of the box you might say.

Scoob:naughty:

16. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

Strewth Marci, you model faster than I can download.
    Loving the tips coming through the thread lately, guys. Thanks all.

17. Marci

Latest result of boredom... ThermoChill PA160 - possibly my most accurate SU yet... (even the tubes are proper 3d surfaces to the correct thickness and if you drop a sectionplane on the endtank, you can look down them)

[​IMG]

Sketchup: http://www.thermochill.com/sketchup/ThermoChillPA160.skp

18. Marci

Just downloaded Kerkythea (never knew it existed)... cor s'nice!! Rendering the PA160 in rainbow titanium at the mo... can see I'm gonna get even LESS work done now :D

19. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Great that you are now getting how accuracy plays a big role in SU. I even have a digital caliper by my side to make sure all my reproductions are accurate. Make all the differance in the world. If you don't have one yet you should get one.

I find it funny sometimes when I download a model from some one else and it doesn't match up to my pieces. Keep it up Marci your skills are improving rapidly...You will soon be the Master!!!!!:thumb:

20. Marci

No digital calipers, but plenty of other random measuring devices have been scattering my desk for the past week or so... altho having the master drawings for all ThermoChill products is rather handy and does away with the need for a great deal of it ;)

Ben @ MountainMods has sent me over master drawings for the new Hyper-Modular style chassis' so I can get those updated without having to wait for the actual real thing to arrive here...