1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'd not even heard of Kerkythea either, shall definitely be trying it out.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Wow. I'll have to give Kerkythea a go!

OK, I've got a brief "how to" here for how to make the compound corners (is that the right name?) that Marci is trying to achieve. I'll draw a losenge roughly like what Marci is trying to achieve.

Step 1. Draw a rectangle roughly corresponding to the dimensions of the object. Then use the Arch tool and Eraser to create the rounded corners as usual. Make sure that the arch tool snaps to vertex, else set the bulge for 0.8 or thereabouts.

[​IMG]

Step 2: Now extrude the shape to the right height with the Push/Pull tool.

[​IMG]

Step 3: now draw a vertical rectangle and use the Arch tool and Eraser to snip out rounded corners as before.

[​IMG]

Now use the Follow Me tool to draw this shape around the oblong. Be careful to trace along the line you want it to follow (indicated in red) exactly, else you get some odd results (if you do, press CTRL+Z and try again...)!

[​IMG]

And here is the end result:

[​IMG]

Now if you want to get rid of the remaining lines and get a really smooth appearance, select the lines with the mouse cursor and in the Entity Info Window (call up under "Windows" in toolbar) tick the box that says "Soft".

[​IMG]

Et voila.

You can select multiple lines for this treatment by holding down CTRL while you select lines. If you accidentally select anything other than lines, the box will disappear from the Entity Info window, as the content of this window changes depending on the item you select. To unselect something (while retaining the rest of your selection), hold down SHIFT while clicking it. You do not even have to let go of CTRL while doing this.

There are other ways in which you can create compound corners. Here's method B:

Step 3b: After etruding your oblong, use the Offset tool to draw an inner contour to where the compound curve/corner should end:

[​IMG]

Step 4b: Now use the Push/Pull tool to lower the outer surface down to where the compound curve/corner should start:

[​IMG]

Step 5b: now draw the curve using the Arch tool, and complete it to a surface (by drawing the accompanying lines on both the vertical and horizontal surface):

[​IMG]

Step 6b: Use the Follow Me tool as before, tracing the upper contour carefully all around:

[​IMG]

Et voila: the resulting shape. In X-ray view you can delete all the lines that are now hidden from view by the curve, which will also get rid of the hidden stepped surfaces. All that is left is the compound curves and corners that you desired.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. :thumb:

3. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

OMG scooby :jawdrop: !!! that's realy amazing !
    how much time have you spend to make that model and how many edges is there ?

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

nexxo, that's brilliant! perhaps I should add a tutorials section to the SCC...

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

that Gundam model looks really real

I'd do a tubing tutorial for SCC

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

nice nexxo!

just discovered the follow me tool earlier today: really wanna do some more work!

7. scooby

scooby Minimodder

This is fantastic, all of a sudden this thread seems to have come alive again with interest for this great 3D program. 1,504 replies, 239,715 views to date and still growing. What did you start here Jezz? You should be very proud and I for one would like to say thank you sir for doing this and creating a sort of undergroud forum that combines two of our favorite passions computer modding and SketchUp 3D modeling. Well done sir.:thumb:

Now speaking of rendering programs I found a Getting Started - KT2007 pdf that you can download HERE. You can download the latest Kerkythea SU2KT 3.0 HERE make sure you download the Exporter too...hell download everything their, you'll need it. And this is the LINK to the Kerkythea/SketchUp forum for more info on the progam.

SU Podium is another rendering plug-in for SketchUp. You can download a free trial version from HERE. Here is some info about the free version...

We invite you to download a free evaluation version of SU Podium. Evaluation version will expire at the end of each calendar month. You can download the evaluation version again, after it expires. The evaluation version is exactly the same as the commercial version EXCEPT it only outputs to 230 X 120 and 640 X 480 image resolution sizes.
    Note: If you already have an older evaluation on your computer, use Podium's uninstall to uninstall it before reinstalling a current eval.

FYI the commercial version SU Podium 1.4.1 is going for $179.00 and they do have a student/teacher version for $79.00. Commercial version of Podium supports rendered image sizes (JPG and PNG) of 230X150, 640X480, 1024X768, 2048X1536, 3076X2304. You can find some great video tutorial for SU Podium HERE and galleries, news tricks and tips HERE at thier forum.

Hope this helps you all:thumb:

Because this project was my first really attempt to understand more about SU and the fact that it was a on and off project I guess I spent 2-3 months total time. Edges? You really want to know? This monster has 407,865 Edges, 173,193 Faces, 198 Components, 546 Groups and comes in at 23.5MB file size. All in all it was a great exercise for me and I learned a lot from doing it and the research that was done made me appreciate this program even more.

Farout!!! Nexxo, great tutorial. One thing to say, creating a component can be achieved in several different ways. For example, a sphere can be created 2 or 3 ways (that I know of) and is still a sphere. Bottomline is efficiency, doing a job faster and easier. Find a style your comfortable with and most of all have fun.

The Scoobster:rock:

Last edited: 18 Oct 2007
  8. Nexxo

That would be great. I'd be happy to add some material.

9. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Playing with Kerkythea I added .500 reflextion on the black floor and it came out pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can be done in SU as well but thiers a trick to it. Shiny floors:naughty:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Nexxo

What is the trick to shiny floors in SketchUp? You can't just say this and leave us hanging like that!

11. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

Duplicate the model inverted underneath the ground layer... Not an actual reflection but two models??

First render in Kerkythea - PA160 with Chrome fittings and Gloss Black Car Paint...

[​IMG]

12. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Haha!!! You got me Nexxo.

TRICK: Adding reflection to your work. The trick is copying the object for reflection and flipping it till you have a mirrored rendering and move it under the original drawing. If you are placing the piece on the green and red axes line which is reffered to as ground the original will be on the top and your revise copy will be underground you might say. In "Styles" go to Edit check the ground box and modify the color as needed and adjust the transparency and your done. Give it a try with something simple and you got it.

Or what Marci said...

Scoob;)

Dang Marci that look great, how do you like Kerkythea? Looks like the real thing now.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2007
  13. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Hey Marci, where can I find the Chrome that you used for the barbs?

14. Marci

Superb piece o' kit - and certainly highlights the need for getting faces in the correct orientation...

Now to suss out adding the reflective ground layer... times like this I wish I had more than a single-core A64-4000+ & X600Pro in this rig... RayTracing takes forever...

Last edited: 18 Oct 2007
  15. Marci

Download the metals pack for Kerkythea off the main Kerkythea site... File > Install Library > Browse to the zip file you downloaded - it'll drop it in and it should show up in the menu when you rightclick on a model and apply material...

16. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Great!!! I'll try it. Thanks

17. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Welcome to the world of 3D modeling.:thumb: A little tip on rendering, at the "Resolution" box use a small resolution setting, I use 640x480 and in "Settings" choose "03. PhotonMap - Quick" I do this just to check if everything is where I want then to be and its fast. When you got it where you want it then go for the full render and yup it takes awhile.

I found the materials and now I can play. This is starting to be fun!!!!

18. Marci

Shame it says HW GPU rendering isn't available... have corrected mounting hole alignment issue on the NV8800GTX waterblock... had been looking at it from the wrong side when I drew them, hence they were reversed and wouldn't align to the card models that exist.

19. Nexxo

That's a bit processing intensive...

20. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

oooooohhhh how do u make the tubing for water cooling systems?