1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress HEPHÆSTUS project - Update - 13/jun - page 6

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Yemerich, 8 May 2008.

1. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

What a great creativity to talk nonsense! :hehe:
    But i liked the part of travelling naked with Kim Bassinger :D

The Tumbler PC is well done, but not my kind of mod...

But no worries perkins! You still can do the upcoming motorcycle, the Batpod!
    [​IMG]

2. Design_Master

Design_Master Presenting: LUMINA

Hey mybro Erich!

I was playing Bioshock some weeks ago and found some thing familiar with this case… Can you guess what? Any inspiration from it or it’s just a coincidence like one in a million?

Well, in my modest opinion I think the RED shapes would kick ass and fit better the theme in context, but the BLACK ones also leave a good impression! Let’s see the result.

Good job!

3. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Heh, you have no idea... I bet my flat mate is just about ready to cut his ears off and pour molten lead in em by now. <=)
    Word of caution: don't stand too close to the where it pops back in now-time!! You don't want to be caught with body parts inside the time warp sphere, or they'll disappear leaving only a smoldering spherical cut!! :eeek: ....ok, now the nice lady in the white robe tells me it's time to stop typing and take my medication. :lol:

Looking forward to your next update!

Last edited: 26 May 2008
  4. Yemerich

Hail Mr Luciano, my brother! Good to see you in here! :)

As a matter of fact i didn't like Bioshock that much... Kinda disapointed with it. But indirectly i did have some inspiration on Bioshock. Why? Because bioshock is sucked from the Fallout series, and i love FO.

Still I never get inspiration from just one source.

I've choose black instead of red because it's nowhere to be found. Red that it is...

Thanks man :)

ooo god! In just two posts i could spot "batman", "back to the future", "Terminator" and "The time machine". I can see you are a science fiction freak :)
    Just don't ask the nice lady in white to go out with you! You could be spotted in the "truman's show"...

And remember: Medication is OK, but don't believe in that cake bs :) It's a lie!

Next update will come soon-ish... I am having some big issues with the mold.:sigh:

Thanks again for visiting Hephaestus :)

5. Design_Master

Design_Master Presenting: LUMINA

In fact I mean about “Hephaestus”, the name of the power facility in the game, which is red, with a similar retro design. What a big coincidence here!! :hehe:

6. Yemerich

oooo Thats true... I saw that too :)

But theres a reason why that Hephaestus is red in the game too. And lots of other places... He is represented with that color in particular because of the color of the fire of his forge :)

7. Yemerich

Side panels

Remember in some past update that I said I had the most painfull job in my casemodding experience?

Well, that was only a "couvert".

Bending acrylics proved to be the most frustating work of all. Lots of tries and lots of failures. And I mean LOTS!
    I've being strugling with this part of the mod for almost 4 days now, but finaly its done!

On to the picture:

First i drawn on plywood the halves of the mold. Then i connected those 2 with thre planks. I dunno the name of them in english, but here they are called "cedrinho" or literally in english "little cedar". Here it is:
    [​IMG]

After that I used more wood to reinforce the stucture:
    [​IMG]

Filled the gaps with plastic filler (bondo?):
    [​IMG]

Then i sanded it down with a circular sander. I didn't took any pictures of this phase, but that was really messy!

To get a smooth curvature I used a sheet ov PVC arround the mold:
    [​IMG]

After some tests (yesterday) i just realized that the best way to make a curvature is wetting a hardboard and conforming it to the structure of the mold and leting it dry overnight. I made another mold like this and worked nice. Too bad it was just a test, and not the actual mold.

So, the painfull job begins. I had clamped th acrylic sheet this way:
    [​IMG]

[edit]I forgot to say that i used a heat gun to heat the surface to be bended. Only that part and nothing more.[/edit]
    And after 2 HOURS (TWOO, TWOOOOOO HOURRSS!!!!!) the gravity start to do its job:
    [​IMG]

Clamped the bottom:
    [​IMG]

Just the clamps on the bottom proved to be insuficiet, so i had 2 more holes made for clamping in the middle of it:
    [​IMG]
    What followed was the most frustating work i ever done. Lots and lots of tries making the thing bend in the right place. Sometimes bended too much, and others too less. The problem is that i need to heat equally the entire area of the curvature, from back to front. I had considered making that on an oven, but didn't tried. Maybe i should next time

And i thought filling was a pain...

But here is the result so far, and i am very pleased:
    [​IMG]

Remember this is NOT black acrylic. It is smoked, and it is partially transparent. This way you can only see the inside with the lights on :D

PS: I am now using NO flash with a tripod. Much better results in my opinion. Still need sopme better lighting thou...

Cheers fellow modders and feedback please :D

Last edited: 29 May 2008
  8. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

hey man this is turning out really well!

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Man so cool.

10. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

Amazing work with the acrylic and nice mod:thumb:

11. Yemerich

Thanks all :D
    Really apreciate ;)

12. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Cool! I just love this kind of how-it-was-made sfuff! Looks great!! Did you get tilted edges around the bend, or where you able to avoid this? (I've often seen this on commercial acrylic magazine holders and similar products.)

13. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

That last pic is AWESOME

14. Yemerich

Thanks. And i love doing them :D

As a matter of fact, looks like the only way to get arround them is to use an oven. Not my case... I had some problems with them, and i did the best i could, but still i had some problems with them :/

Thanks. As my workplcae is very "visually poluted" I decide to blur everything else via photoshop. Simple stuff :D

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Somehow you have come up with a case that looks just as good in dark plexi as the red one. Well done. :clap:
    John

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

how did you bend that acrylic?

17. Yemerich

Thanks John :)

I can say that the smoked plexi can be more interesting because when the lights are off, u can barelly see the inside. But when the lights are turned on, the case reveals its beauty.

BTW, is your beard done yet? :D

GOD! after all the time i spent writing the article i forgot to say how i heated it!:duh:

I used a heat gun. Thanks "portuga" for reminding me :D
    Your fellow "brazuca".

18. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Me likes :) I'm watching this one closely, but I already was for a while ;)

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like the idea of using pvc vinyl sheet to keep the inside smooth. I'm storing that one for future use.:D
    I have a bend to do in the near future.:( I want to get it right this time.

20. Yemerich

You honor me with your presence :)

While i was doing that mold i found that using a soaking wet hardboard and leting it dry overnight is the best way to make a mold. But theres a limitatio on how much can the hardboard bend even when it is wet. So u need to test it first. Even so, the hardboard need a reinforcement in the inside.

As a side note to this episode, looks like a good idea to have a slight bigger piece before bend. This way u could trim de excess after you done bending and avoid some odd results near de edges.

Cheers mate :D

Thanks again all for visiting Hephaestus Project