1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: No Spore demo, expansions planned

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Hate to say it given they've been improving of late but... This is just typical EA, and why I dislike them.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

What you think they should include the editors in the game and ship it another 6 months from now? I guess they could pull a valve and release epic content for free, but I certainly don't expect that of many companies. Also the DRM stated caused me zero problems in Mass Effect and I like the 3 installs no disc required thing, again it is more than most companies give. I don't think there is anything wrong with what EA have done here.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Not having a demo is fine if you trust in the company.

I don't know how they would do a demo, maybe a set creature, but i've never played it and i don't know if i'd actually like it which is exactly why games like this need a demo. FPS you know what to expect so its all about whether the style gels with you, but this is new territory its not just the style of the title this is virtually a new genre.

Don't be surprised to see massive zero day piracy and the (almost) valid excuse is going to be the one i just out lined.

As for the DRM, i'm glad its all worked out for you, and i hope it continues to work out.

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Paid expansions or free?

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

3 installs might not be enough if it's such a replayable game

7. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

If by three installs they mean "after three installs, the CD becomes a drinks coaster" then I'll certainly be avoiding it untill the price has dropped significantly before buying. (Much as I'm doing with mass effect, even though it would be right up my alley I gather)

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

thing is this, do you really have 3 gaming systems tht you play and rotate that frequently?

9. CardJoe

It's not. It's three CONCURRENT installs. Connect online when you uninstall and you can get back one install credit. It means you can have the game installed on three machines AT ANY ONE TIME.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

If it's an online game, anyway, the "authenticate once at the first install" is no problem.....
    If it's a stand-alone game, it is.

Why?
    I just waited 6 months to simply GET an internet connection...

11. Romirez

Romirez What's a Dremel?

Won't be buying anything with limited installs. Annoying feature if, like me, you tend to format every few months and can't be bothered uninstalling everything. And no demo for a game which is so innovative and different isn't exactly a bright idea...

12. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

So how am I supposed to install this when I am deployed on my warship out in the Gulf with no internet connection?

EA Screws the Forces... I'll remove this from my pre-order at play.com

13. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Have they actually said *which* DRM solution they're going with? If it's SecuROM then I'll have to avoid it, sadly, and go for a different 'release' of Spore.. :(

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The internet connection requirement for DRM is hardly a problem given without a net connection the game is totally broken. 99% of the vanilla content is usermade and downloaded, so it's absolutely vital you have one. As for three installs at the same time: meh, it's fine. Microsoft does the same with Windows and few people complain nowadays.

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Have MAXIS ever actually released a demo and NOT released a shed load of expansion packs?

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

are they going to make this into another "SIMS"? with those 100000 paid expansions......

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that's why i think 3 installs may not be enough.

anyways, Bioshock DRM got disabled fast enough, so hopefuly this will be fine if they disable it within 6 month

18. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

After having played with the editor, I could see future expansion packs including a water creatures editor and a flying createures editor. Those are obviously missing in the current editor. Sure you can make a land shark and dragons with wings that can't fly but it just isn't the same.

19. CardJoe

Wings ARE in the full game. Proper wings I mean.

20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags