1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What Hardware Should I Buy? - Oct 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Oct 2008.

1. Valver

Valver I’m an AquaTuning product tester

The other thing you could consider doing would be to benchmark each system so you can realistically see what a jump form one category to the next would bring you in terms of gaming performance etc. (altho I realise you probably don't actually have the systems you proposed... but hey...)

2. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Aslong as it is updated monthly, then I see this becoming a great resource to the newbie and the seasoned pro

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

My month old build is almost exactly the same as the £1500. Cosmos S, HX1000W PSU, 4870X2 etc. But I bought cheaper RAM (useless water cooling rubbish on the ones in this article!) and only bought one 500GB HDD (for £40) and bought a nice big 22" 1680x1050 Sammy LCD screen with the money saved.

Good to see I chose some good components though!

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

nice one, thanks a lot for this.
    What fan would you recommend for the TRUE?

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Noctua or Nexus personally - something quiet with a high static pressure.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Great article guys, a friend of mine asked me about upgrading/making a computer for him and since I'd been ignoring the market a bit due to how many new products hit the shelves I was a bit behind. This was a great help

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

You could have an other category, which includes; sound cards, peripherals, monitor etc, for the low, med and high end.

8. Denis_iii

cheers, adding 120mm/80mm etc recommended fans to the next article would be a sweet IMO

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

yep, that's something we're already thinking about!

10. Denis_iii

+1

11. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I would like to leave comment on case Coolermaster Elite 330 - it's king of "value cases"! We're building PC's and we see a lot of foxconns, KMEs, noname cases here. And Coolermaster, while being slightly more expensive, is of much much better quality.

12. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Nice one guys!
    - As per other comments, I'd suggest moving away from the fixed price ranges - they don't make all that much sense if you're not including monitors and therefore a target resolution.
    Though it would entail more hard work, I think it'd be better to start from target resolutions / monitor sizes and establish the cheapest / best components for each target.
    - That should make it easier for those who have a monitor already, and those planning to upgrade as well.

The suggestion of having a final spec page for each setup would also be nice, especially if linked to pricegrabber (though it's scope of retailers is still limited).
    - Perhaps even have a shopping basket-type setup where readers could choose from the alternatives you give and come out with a final price.

Anyways - all good stuff!

13. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Whilst I see your point here (especially about the HD4850 being best bang for buck) the last comment is technically incorrect if talking about the 192 stream version of the GTX260. These can be had for <£180. The 216 stream versions however are going on twice the price of the HD4850.

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

A nice selection of tech you guys chose there. Good job once again.

15. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

I'll second an earlier comment.

Low, Medium and High budget ranges are good but not necessarily indicative of what the system is for. A gaming rig is different from a HTPC which is different from a general purpose machine which is different from a server which is different from a graphic (photoshop, etc.) station which is different from a digital video editing station which is different from a productive/business type station which is different from an internet surfing station, etc. I think you get the idea. :)

And then you could have various budget levels in each category too... but that makes for a lot of combinations. Perhaps the approach of a given configuration with a few parts of the config having different recommendations based on the purpose of the system. i.e. "We recommend a xxxxx card for gaming, however for a HTPC we recommend yyyyyy card instead, and for a..."

Or one month offer HTPC configs. Next month Gaming configs. 3rd month graphic stations, 4th month an internet surfing machine. Over the course of a year you could cover up to 12 different types of systems, although I could probably group all the different types of systems into maybe 6 categories which would allow for 2 updates each year of each type.

16. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

How about a monthly thread for each system where we can propose components that fit each budget for the next month's update? It allows more alternatives to be listed with constructive criticism of them. These threads would be distinct from this feedback thread and located in Hardware.

17. naokaji

naokaji whatever

nvm, misread something.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions - be assured we're writing them ALL down and debating what the best way to continue it is. Obviously this is our first attempt so improving with suggestions is all good for the future :thumb:

19. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Wait a minute....i just added up the cost of the so called £450 system using the suggested parts and it came to £508.87.

When you add in delivery charges for all the seperate components from different sites, its closer to £520.

Hmmmm..

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's the V1100 not 1110 ;) I'm almost certain the latter is longer.

Hustler - I make it £421.40 ex Delivery.

Tags: Add Tags