1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Grand Theft Auto IV PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Dec 2008.

1. bobbobagan

bobbobagan What's a Dremel?

Surely it should be able to determine wether you have a Xbox controller installed or not? Then if you don't, it should default to the keyboard one.

I do have an Xbox 360 sitting around, although its the extremely standard one that comes with no HDD to save games. I was hoping that GTA IV would be decent for PC, thats why I waited out on buying it for the xbox... looks like i'd be better off spending money on my xbox and buying the game (again).

Also, thanks for that Joe. I was unaware that you could even use an xbox controller on a pc, I will have to give it a go.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I built my first proper games pc for gta3 and looked like I was going to have to upgrade my current one for this game. Don't think i'll bother with all the crap bloatware installed and required along with it. Shame it would have been nice symmetry.

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The Steam Version contains just as much bloatware as the retail version

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Sorry, but I have to disagree, go count the patches rockstar released for lets say vice city for example, we all know they wont ever fix anything.

I dont think comparing it to crysis is fair, sure, crysis had crazy high hw requirements, but it had the crazy good graphics to go with and judging by the screenies from the bit-tech review gta4 gets nowhere close to the graphics of crysis, yet runs worse than crysis.

5. llah66

llah66 What's a Dremel?

loadaed the game last night all the problems that have been said i have had rebooted today and followed the notes that i got of the forum now runs ok,i get a steady 40fps without a glitch every thing on high except draw distance which ie restricted to 64?
    SPEC qx9650-bfg gtx280oc-4gb ram-500gb hd- vitsa prem 64bit:idea:

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The game still requires Social Club and Games For Windows even on Steam as far as we know, yes. You just have to add Steam ON TOP of all that.

7. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Wow. I didn't think they'd mess it up THIS bad.

Is this an attempt to make us buy consoles? Are they intentionally taking a leak on the open mouth of PC gamers worldwide?

I, for one, will be torrenting this. I hope it's worth the €0,71 it costs to leave my PC running overnight for that, or i'm going to send Rockstar the bill for it.

8. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I still haven't played it, but looks (by reading what everybody is saying) to me an effort to say later "we didn't sell it well because of piracy".

9. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

The most annoying thing was the actual install and trying to start the damn game.
    First was a nice 8 hour download from steam. I kicked off the download and went to bed, thinking that when I got up in the morning, it would be installed and ready to play like all other steam games, how wrong was I.
    I saw it had downloaded and my games said "installed". so i clicked on it and then all these registration things poped up, as well as the "real" GTA4 install that took another 10 minutes. Dialogue box after dialogue box, I dont want to sign up to all these things, its just a pain in the ass. I am going to download a cracked copy at some point and see if that gives me less hassle than one I paid for.

10. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Haha this is pretty poor work by Rockstar, definite no-buy now. Provided for specs which 'are not even available'? what a pile of BS! That is some lazy lazy work... maybe as well as secuROM they though they could reduce piracy by making it rubbish as well

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

From what we've seen, even the cracking process is ridiculously laborious and drawn out, and saving is still a major issue thanks to the reliance on GFWL. It's certainly not as easy as just swapping out the games .exe, as there are online checks at install, game start and everytime you want to save!

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

You seriously telling me that the GTX280 cant run this game at 1920x1200 smoothly?

Could this require a driver update to suit the game?

Or could this be a fail by the developer?

If todays top end GFX's cards cant run this game, i am selling the GTX280 and buying a Xbox or PS3.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It'd certainly be a unique method of reducing piracy :D

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i don't think any developer is stupid enough to purposely ruin a game just to prove a point.

"never attribute to malice what can be expained by incompetence" - some guy

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Would you put money down to back up your statement? This is just the kind of dirty trick i would expect to see on the run up to christmas. Force console sales.

I could be wrong, but what with them releasing an unstable version of the game, with errors occuring within the first 48 hours of its PC release is bad!

16. Xtrafresh

Has Rockstar really given any replies to all the complaining? I mean, the reception on the game seems to be more or less unanimous. I havent seen a single poster say that it works great and all the signups are a value-add. Are they really closing their eyes to all that?

Call me paranoid, but it really does look like they are doing this intentionally to promote consoles.

17. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

definitely not.

i've had another thought though, completely in the opposite direction to my previous post. what if they purposely released a buggy game so that as soon as the DRM is cracked they could release a vital patch to fix performance and at the same time break any cracks. then when that patch is broken, boom - another performance enhancing patch.

18. Xtrafresh

I don't think it'll work. Crackers are more then willing to play that game, in fact, they positively thrive on this sort of thing.

On the other hand, corporate stupidity seems perfectly able to think they could have something to win from such a scheme.

A real question: is this game playable over LAN? And i do mean the proper, licenced, registered, validated, branded, monitored and legal version.

Aside from the hassle, the game does seem like a good platform for some serious LAN fun. :naughty:

19. Azmat

Azmat What's a Dremel?

Plenty of other reviewsites are handing out the nines once more, praising this version all up into the sky again simply because it's GTA IV.
    The PC version and console versions offer the same story and settings, nothing else which is a real extra. The settings are rudimentary, and to be honest, the specs needed are way too high for what it offers now and in the future. And then there are the stupid required log-ins: need to login to save - that's some serious WTF.
    Yet other reviewers seem to be up in clouds because of the awesome vidjeo recording skillz we can all employ now, or wow - hey, play your own music. Sure, fun addition, but is this the fruit of 4 months of work ?
    All the reviewers who gave this 9 and 9.5, i can't consider them real PC players when they not even mention the sign-ins. For all i know, they only used a 360 controller to play and used aiming assistance.

Thanks bit-tech, for providing me with an honest, clear and proper review

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So me, who's stuck on mobile broad(ROFL)band, has to stay online and waste my traffic just to save the goddamn game?
    And SecuROM? And GfW? And that RockStar whatevertheheckitsnameis? All in the background? Thanks.

YAAAAAYYYYY! Very nice RockStar! -1 to total sales figures!

The game seems to be fun so I'll just wait 2 or 3 years until I have upgraded twice and I'll be able to play a 2-3 years old game then? Sounds like a plan. :eyebrow: