1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zune "Y2K9" bug confirmed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. goafreak

goafreak What's a Dremel?

just glad my xbox didn' crash ;)

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

And my Ipod crashes approx once per week where I have to drain the battery completly to be able to use it again, if the zune only crashes every 4 years, damn thats almost a reason to get one.

4. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

Its a shame the Zune isn't more popular because, despite this, it's a better music player than any of the iPods (the touch excepted.) The slight bashing here, and ridiculous post by Gordon Kelly at trustedreviews are quite funny because it's a fairly good bet that few, more likely none of you have ever actually used a Zune.

I've got a touch which I love, but having used my mates Zune it blows all of apple's other player out of the water. Even the Zune Software, despite being Windows only, is actually quite a bit nicer than iTunes. Yeah apple have the whole ecosystem, but how far behind do you think Microsoft really are, especially if they go global?

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Slight bashing? For a bug-report, I'd say that was pretty kind. There aren't actually any bad words against the player in there, just a kind of "tut tut, should've checked that firmware" kind of tone.

And I'd bet that a few people at the BiT offices have used a Zune.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

even if this is only 4 in 4 years... it is kind of unforgivable...

me? i want one of those great mp3 players from sandisk...

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Nah, not really. The player has not been out long enough to have experienced a leap year yet, and if the thing the OS on it is based upon doesn't have issues with leap years, there isn't much reason to expect the Zune to exhibit it.

Still, it's a lesson learned, and one more thing to get the QA testers to check. ;)

I dunno about the newer Sandisk MP3 players... but the Sansa e260 I have is... well, let's just say I hate it just as much as I love it. Goes completely bonkers and crashes at the oddest times... and I don't do anything other than listen to 256kbps MP3s on it.

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Luckily my creative zen isn;t a Zune then :p

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i want to correct myself... i want a pandora as my standard music player :D

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Someone at work last night saw my zune 80 and asked me what kind of ipod it was...
    After I was done explaining to her what it was she wanted one over her ipod. Its a good device, its just that no one knows of its existance.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Something wrong with your iPod there --mine has never crashed.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

iPod Touch with Pandora app? ;)

13. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Mine RROD'd on the 31st :'(

But since I haven't heard of a mass 360-RROD-a-thon, I won't call X2K9 on this. Mind you, it's working again now.

14. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

8GB Creative Zen arrived this morning, Had a Zune, but a family pet sat on, and broke, it. :(
    Good despite what people say :p

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

iPod don't have such issue, as they die before such issue could arise.
    After passing on my fourth iPod... I decided to check out the Zune. I have the Zune 120, and I say it's worth every penny. Comparing a Zune and a iPod Classic 120GB, you feel the quality on the Zune. Comparing the Zune internal pictures and my opened iPod, I can say that the Zune doesn't have circuit made on a sheet of plastic where if it bends, it brakes.

16. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I love my 80. Its funny, aall of my friends have Zunes, about 6 roughly, and they all get used everyday. But the family all has Ipods and I have never seen them leave their desks :D
    And the " Z2K9 BUG "? That is the clunkiest name I have ever heard of.

17. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

My 30GB Zune was retired when I got my Cowon D2.
    So if anyone wants one...!

18. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

What kind of pet does your family have :eeek:

19. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I love my 30. I bought it because it didn't have touch sensitive controls, and even though the new ones do have it (kind of), I'd get another to replace it with when it dies.

20. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

lmao, Zunes are infinitely more appealing to me than an ipod. It's apples marketing that really bothers me, they make the device out to be the end-all be-all, and tbh the only impressive thing i've seen out of that company is the iphone, but they chose the worst network to put it on >.< *facepalm*

I hate dealing with apple support.
    I hate having to send **** in.
    I hate white-walled glass-floored houses.
    I hate pretentious apple users who refer to buying a piece of hardware as "joining the movement." or are so glad to "be a part of the apple community." You didn't move into a new neighborhoood, you bought a ****ing music player. When did you ever hear people so glad to be a part of the Walkman community? Good god!
    I hate silhouetted advertisements with emofags dancing like epileptics.
    I hate trendy apple stickers (especially on a Prius).
    and most of all, i hate itunes. I hate it almost as much as I hate Quicktime. SCREW ITUNES.

SO i think that list is a fairly concise description of why I would rather own a zune. The only reason I don't own one is I have a Zen. And the zen is the only thing i've seen that I like more than a zune. Now if I didn't care whether or not it could fit in my change pocket, then I would own an archos... mmmm portable media center.... om nom nom nom...

So i'd gladly take one small annoyance in 4 years over constant annoyance every time i have to launch itunes, or having that spamware **** attempt to take over my entire media experience.

Tags: Add Tags