1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pirate Bay Trial

Discussion in 'Serious' started by C-Sniper, 16 Feb 2009.

1. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Lawsuits, DRM and whatever are not going to stop the piracy issue. The people who make these preventatives come from the same pool of people that break them.

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

that is not what the majority of people are saying...:worried:

3. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Haha, i love it. They used a "king Kong" defense.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I was not expecting that... :lol::lol::hehe:

I strangely feel that TPB will loose this trial...

5. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

I have to agree...While I'm no expert at law by any means, it looks to me to be a weak defense. Although yes, TPB may not be the ones uploading the content, but they are providing a place for others to do it. To me that is just as bad because they're making it accessible to everyone. *EDIT* Whether or not they can prosecute the TPB for that I have no idea though.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the HUGE problem here is that if TPB are guilty for that, then every search engine in the world has to stop working.

7. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

That's so true. If you google torrents you can find them.

8. Major

Major Guest

Can you prosecute a Landlord for letting out a flat to a known drug dealer? No.

Same thing tbh,

9. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

QFT.

Yeah, it's thieves like you who make my life more complicated.

It is a royal PITA. I don't pirate games, I don't pirate music and I don't pirate DVDs - but I'm treated just the same as people like you.

Now I have to jump through all sorts of hoops because IP holders are in a perpetual war with people like you.

10. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Thats the same as saying your gunna get banned for www.google.co.uk as that as stated in their speech has millions of direct links as does pirate bay to illegal material.

More so on google

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

:D
    Seriously, I wouldn't bet against it, knowing those hoopy froods at TPB.

12. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Praise the king sitting high up on his throne! :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, you need to relax. Just because someone "steals" music does not make them a bad person.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2009
  13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Actually, I'm a terrible person, but you're right insofaras it's not stealing digital property that makes me so. That is to say, he's right about me, but only accidentally: supposing that people who pirate are a different "kind" of person, or that they're morally tarnished, is hilarious and absurd. Pirating has no moral weight at all. It doesn't factor: it's like speeding at night. There are reasons why you shouldn't, but it's not OMGWrong.

Besides, cjmUK, I just told you I went and bought the game after pirating it, so I don't appreciate being demonised. I'm certainly not the reason your life as a consumer is so hard.

14. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Because risking killing people in the dark is ok. Its only when you can see them clearly that its a problem... Love it

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

oooo i can see this thread moving towards a 'closed'

Pirating music, films and software is no different than walking into and shop picking up a CD or DVD, and walking straight out again whilst holding it above your head waving at the security guard.

It is stealing, but from your favourite chair, in the warm and you dont have to run from the guards.

Now there are some torrents which technically isn't stealing like recorded TV, where some has recorded a programme via there HTPC, and then seeded it. I think people doing this great, much better than the streaming and quality issues of BBC iplayer and others like them.

Its hard to understand as a single person what an impact is created by downloading one CD, its not just one person stealing.

On average if you look at how many people are seeding or leeching a lastest piece of media its not uncommon to see numbers hit or 10,000 on many days, usually dropping to steady 6000 a day, and thats constantly updated, because a fast download takes just a few minutes, so you can imagin the rate and numbers of downloads to keep those numbers in the 6K+ bracket.

Anyway its the internet for ya. I like FLAC music format to i buy and convert CD's, Tecos's are selling classic DVD's for less than £5, which costs a little bit more than if i was to run my computer over night to download said DVD, but at least i get the subtitles and bonus features with the purchased DVD.

Now i know i sound as if i just preeched at you alot, but i am not perfect either i download the odd album if its a new band and give it a listen if i like i go buy, if i hate i delete.

I gave up many years ago with downloading games, as it was to much hassle with more recent titles at the time to crack and run easily. I think it was HL:2 which caused me to give it up.

I mainly use to copy my games so the original disc never got over used, plus it allowed for home network gaming (AOE 1 & 2), then came CD keys which helped.

Broadband has helped the pirate! Can you imagin downloading a 15GB 720p movie or something on a 56k connection! :jawdrop:

16. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Oh I am. Davenport Lyons won't be contacting me anytime soon.

So what does make them a bad person? Which rules & laws is it acceptable to break, IYO?

When people take something that they haven't paid for, not only are they depriving the IP owner of their income, but they are making those of us who do pay, pay more - and under ever more onerous restrictions.

Oh?

:duh:

lol

17. quack

quack Minimodder

Except you're not denying that particular copy from anyone else. ;)

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

The only reason I find to pirate is when something is unreasonably priced. I amy for instance pirate Hancock now but thats only because I know in 4 weeks or so it will be half the price and into the reasonably priced category - thats when I will buy it (though see later on for my movie industry get out for highly priced things).

I own all the Harry Potter series, but I pirated it the other day just so I can stream it around my flat without moving dvds about.

I certainly dont buy music albums or singles because I dont want all the **** on them. Occasionally I get an awesome album or a greatest hits cd but thats it. If CDs I wanted were £5 rather than £12 and had more than 1 song on them I like then of course I would buy it.

See, the difference between walking into a store and stealing and downloading off the web and stealing is big. Walking into a store and stealing you are taking money from decent people - the people who work at FOPP (note, NOT the bad bad people who work at HMV or (haha) Zavvi - buy from there and you are the one being robbed), The people who create the lovely cover arts, the people who create the CDs, the people who make the packaging. These people get next to **** all from a CD sale anyway, these people deserve the money they put in, it isnt disproportionate. The artists as well to an extent, though they lose ground on making albums with **** songs on them. The people who rape you are the record industry, and these are the people who make me not buy music because they take such a ****ing massive cut from the proceeds then **** artists over that by supporting them by buying albums you are undermining the cause of the artist. If people stop buying music then record industrys will be forced to lower prices, to the point where the artist asks "well what the **** ? wheres my money". A few good artists have risen up and gone on alone already, it doesn't always work but sometimes it does, and when some kind of free body recording industry starts up then this whole thing will go away. But until that time, im going to pirate music I like, or iTunes it - because iTunes has the right idea :)

The games industry I have alot more time for, and the movie industry to be honest. The amount of work that goes into making a movie or a game is so, SO much more than that of a music album. My hancock example above is flawed in that I know the effort that went into making that film is well worth £20.

SOme of this is probably ********, but in my eyes the fact of the matter is that some stuff is just not good enough to spent my hard earnt cash on. And I am no hipocrit. I program, I write code and websites - but I never ask for money because although some of it is a professional standard there is always going to be better stuff made out there, it doesn't deserve to be paid for. I get experience from the creation process and people get a free piece of software to do that 1 task they need.

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

20. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

See this is what I don't get, If the product isn't good enough for your hard earned cash then why is it worth reading/watching/playing/listening to? And if you are going to buy the movie in 4 weeks when it's cheaper, why download it now, why not just wait the 4 weeks? What’s with the sudden I'm entitled to it NOW, but only at a price i deem acceptable, If we all bought the items we thought were good and ignored the crap then the markets would learn and start to produce decent material more often, currently they'll just say "ah we would have sold more but everyone pirated it, therefore we'll produce crap II the rematch but this time add more restrictions to it".

Tags: