1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Why I don’t like consoles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Apr 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. badgerz

badgerz What's a Dremel?

The main reason for me would be the controller. For a FPS which is what I mostly play nothing can match a mouse and keyboard combo. I have a £10 usb controller for football/driving games. That is the correct way round.

Also £50 for a the 360's wifi add-on?! thats some sort of sick joke.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

yeah xbox360 wireless controller for trackmania,proevo and emulation here else keyboard!!!

but getting back to the point if i want to have a little fun my wii is great shaun white snowboarding is ace

but for more 'serious' sessions PC cant be beat

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I think more importantly is the cost of the games:

New PC release: ~£35
    New console release: ~£50

I'm with yakyb, got myself a wirless receiver for Windows and an X360 controller for games like Tomb Raider (and N64 emulators) but otherwise it's keyboard and mouse all the way for FPS

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

right on!

the controller is hopeless in FPS/RTS and not dumbed down RPG games.

i had a few consoles when i was a kid, and then my dad bought me a Win95 PC hoping i'd learn some programming and gain interest in engineering. instead, i gained huge interest in PC gaming, unlike the console games i've had, all games on the PC even then were much better, got hooked on CnC.

now, the only none-PC gaming i'll ever do is when on-the-go, on the iPhone with actual innovative games. i have tryed the console gaming such as the super expensive PS3, the controls suck, the graphics is god awful (just look at GTA4) to top it all of, it's loud and loads like a turtle.

6. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

This post very similar to my experiences - almost exactly a year ago I managed to save enough to buy a computer that I could play games properly on and I've not looked back since.

I personally feel that the point about PC gaming being more expensive is fatally flawed - people always forget that you need a PC even just for internet and work, so the cost of PC gaming is often just the graphics card (in an computer enthusiasts case at least).

Given that consoles typically launch for around £300 and you may need to upgrade your graphics card 2 or 3 times this gives you between £150 and £100 pounds to buy a graphics card - a perfectly reasonable amount to buy a good bang for buck card.

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I have a Wii, XBox 360 and a PS3 and I can safely say that none of them see as much use for gaming as my PC.
    Some combination of control, graphics and just fun :p

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If anyone played Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii, you will see that the Wii has the best control for FPS game, and now even better with the WiiMotion Plus. Perfect aiming, and controls.

It's a shame that this is the ONLY FREAKING game that has is not only a good FPS but got the controls right. If game developers finally end there Jerk-off (it's like they are aiming for a world record), they would wake up and release a good FPS game on the console. The conduit is coming up, look cool and interesting... however, I'll wait and see.

Anyway, Wii control for FPS game is way better than keyboard and mouse, by far! If anyone has the opportunity of trying it out... Check out Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii (if you have a problem with the control sensitivity the game allows you to adjust it). If you want a great action seen, load up someone else game at the around end of the game. Best game play action ever burned onto a disk.

9. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Same here and ditto on all your reasons. Except that I stopped at the Super Nintendo. When I saw the sorry excuse for 3d that the PS1 and N64 were pushing I just couldn't take it. I prefer 2d games that look beautiful and have novel gameplay compared to some freaky looking 3d game with an inaccurate awkward controller played on a low resolution television. The PS3 in combination with a HDTV could be my next console but not with super expensive games also I hear that you are not allowed to use a mouse... that's jank. I will stick to PC.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah I agree.. I sold by xbox 360 while back.. kept the controllers for my gaming rig- even the harddrive went for around 100 bucks back then- sold it all to a friend for 275 and haven't looked back.. some of the stuff on console is good like the fighting and sports games.. pc just has the best online fps/mmo gaming.. single player is better on the pc too if you have a decent rig

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

perhaps the Motion plus is the important part, i have played many Wii shooting games (RE4, RE arcade shooting game, Metroid Prime 3, and a few others) and all of them have shaky crosshair even when the controller is put on a table. also, the turning is too slow on the Wii, perfect for the arcade shooters (no need to worry about viewing angle), but not so good for actual FPS.

also, my arm hurts after playing Wii FPS due to the extreme tension needed to maintain a steady aim. and you know with good engaging FPS games: you should try to complete it in one go :rock:

12. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I agree mostly.

I have a PC + 360 (attached to same monitor)
    games go on the PC preferably if available, 360 if not.

Depends a lot on the genre as well:
    i wouldn't want to play any FPS or RTS on the 360 at all(i've tried the demos, ugh)

RPG's are fine on the consoles (and maddeningly near exclusively only on consoles of late) though the older 2D types are still better suited to the PC

Racing games are great on both (360 gamepad on PC Cheesecake) though the 'pick up and go' nature of the consoles is handy for quick 5-10min blasts of a racing game, rather than waiting for a PC to boot up :lol:

long story short: i'd have everything on the PC if games weren't platform exclusive.
    So annoying having to buy a separate, lower specced, platform for certain games due to developers ignoring the PC :sigh:

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I have a very similar story of playing (and loving) many consoles before I got a PC and then never went back

14. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

QFT!

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I do pretty much all my gaming on the PC.

But I went out and bought an Xbox 360 - Why? you say! - The answer is simple, Fifa & Proevo with friends at the drop of a hat. That's it!

a console is a social qucik fix machine, for ANY singleplayer expereince and anything truely emersive, you need a pc.

16. jaggedarray

jaggedarray What's a Dremel?

I have always liked PC gaming better, I just wish it was more comfortable! My chair hurts my back, my desk hurts my wrists. UGH! that is why I sometimes fantasize about kicking back on the couch and playing a console...Maybe I'll get a new chair instead?

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

For casual gaming I find consoles far funner, more social (split screen) and it's much easier to just sit down and play a console game for 30 mins than it is for a PC game.

I still have both.

18. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

It's swings and round-a-bouts. Some of stuff you guys have said is just incorrect. E.g I've not paid more than £35 for a console game in like 6 or 7 years, plus I can sell them on easily after. Also I can rent 360 games through lovefilm just like the DVDs/blu-rays... and skip the "buying" altogether.
    For me, console games are just more convenient. I don't have to dick around with drivers, upgrading graphics cards once a year (for the same cost as a console) to keep that AA turned up ;), I can play left4dead and COD4 with my "non PC gaming" friends, I don't have to wait and install anything.. which also litters my PC with various DRM schemes on top of one another.

Don't get me wrong, I use a PC as well and systems like Steam are great (I play a game on that every now and again) and sure, console games are a bit more rough around the edges, but you can get used to a controller for FPS's. Everyone is on the same playing field, so it's just a different skill at the end of the day.

Bullploppy. I've had just as emersive experiences with a console as with a PC. The quality of a game isn't dictated by it's platform.

Bottom line. "Different" isn't "bad". Flatly refusing to game unless it's on a PC is just narrow minded.

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes, that is true. Name me 5 games that are multiplier on to the same system , out recently, that is not a Worms game, or a Racing game. Console have that... PC not so much.

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Also Guitar Hero, Burnout, Halo etc.. All fun games, not deeply immersive, innovative, competetive and spectacular but certainly huge grat dollops of entertainment.

Tags: Add Tags