1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Personally I use(d) a simple can of spray grease on my bikes etc. Works a treat, and comes in nice big cans for ~£4. :D

2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the advice guys, will have a scout about when i order a new headset (didn't realise the frame uses internal ones, which isn't the type i bought! doh)

*edit* w00t - just ordered the rest of the bits i need to complete it. cheers guys! Will post pics when / if i get it built.

RwD

Last edited: 6 May 2009
  3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

WOOOOH! MY BIKE IS HERE!

I LOVE IT! going out on it for a proper ride now! Just can't work out how to make my Sora shifters go down a gear :waah:

:thumb:

4. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

prod them with a stick! and .. pics!

RwD

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

forgive me, not even close to liking road bikes so this is a bit rough, I dont know if the sora's have changed is there not a 2nd lever? some used to have a kinda stubby lever right at the top. Or i heard somewhere someone was developing a single lever shifter, is there not kinda one click (to shift up) then one further (to shift down)?

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I found out how to do it, pics in a sec! You simply push the brake levers 'outwards' to change down.. rather neat little system if I don't say so myself!

Really nice first ride, about 6k or so.. Over took an M3 going down the hill :) Im now offically a roadie convert! You can just go sooo much faster with far less effort, it amazing! And for once the bike is light and responsive which is nice!

7. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Same bike as i've got. Feel for you man, my last bike was robbed from the backgarden aswell. >:/

My Tyax, looks fairly new because I gave it a good clean up last weekend, but it's in need of a service/repair. Front brake got wrecked (well, the disc is fine, but the cable/grip is unresponsive) when I crashed out last winter and the rear wheel is a little bent after a tumble on the local trials:

[​IMG]

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Trek 1.2 Double 60cm frame :rock:

(Lock isn't there to stop stealing, its there so no-one from my house can borrow it when Im not out on it :p )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Very nice Mankz.
    -Have been thinking about getting a road bike as I want to start doing some long distance runs (10mile or so) latter in the year, and don't want to do to much running while building my fitness up as it's not to good on the jionts.

10. Krikkit

Your front brake probably needs bleeding/refilling tbh - no cables to slacken up on hydraulics. You might've ruined the hose though.

My front and rears were pretty worn too before it went.

11. Cookie Monster

The brakes on the Tyax's are poop, could partly be down to the fact the levers are on the wrong way. All the ones i've had through the shop i've swapped over.

12. Krikkit

The brakes are pretty poop. Good power, but not the longest-living set. What do you mean the wrong way round? I've always had Left-Rear, Right-Front on mine... :confused:

13. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Very shiny!

Still, even shiny roady bikes make me glad mines all bouncy. I got told to get off my motor bike again last weekend. That's a proper bike :p

(I jest! Of course... Mostly... Lycra onesies though, do you people have no shame!)

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I love my new job. I'm the head builder at one of the largest bike shops in calgary (uniquely enough, the shop is named The Bike Shop). Some of the bikes I'm getting my hands on are simply crazy! Got thrown an $8000 bike to build up just because it was there (for all you roadies, it's this one).

Plus, there are very nice perks to the job. Got a brand new one of these for free today because it was scratched slightly, and the customer who owned it previously didn't want it. Definitely will be going on my acid.

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm really looking forwards to my first proper ride this afternoon, I've worked out a nice 20Km course, so should be fun :thumb:

16. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i built a wheel today. pretty proud of myself, never done it before. it was a lot easier than it thought it would be, i basically just had to lace it and tighten all the spokes and it was good to go, not nearly as much truing and centering needed as i had been led to believe. i'm gonna have to thrash it a bit tomorrow though and see how well it holds up.

mankz, nice bike. glad to see it finally arrived. but seeing those pedals on it makes me a sad panda.

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

They'll be replaced with clip-ons when my shoes arrive.. Finding size 14's aren't easy it seems.

18. Krikkit

I'm jealous. That sounds like an awesome job.

19. Cookie Monster

When built i'm guessing they were built for Europe ect (wrong side of the road :D right is rear, left is front), to get round this the levers have been swapped making it the right way for the UK. But when doing this the lever is turned upside down meaning the bleed hole is on the bottom which I have seen to leak.

Its easy to fix by swapping the levers over again then swapping the hose's (usually this doesn't require a bleed but sometimes does).

20. Krikkit

The brake levers on mine were definitely the right way round - the bleed hole still had a bit of leakage though. Maybe they fixed it for the UK market after you got yours? Only had mine since the end of November... :confused: