1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

Mankz, how much did that cost you?

And please change the pedals ASAP.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That was £550

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm not a big roadie fan, but that's a great looking bike Mankz. How much does it weigh?

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

No idea really, but its very light compared to my aluminum Trek offroader, you can easily lift it over your head with one hand.

5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Got any carbon in it? Does look good man, I did lol at the pedals though, that thing should fly when you get the shoes on!!

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its got carbon fibre forks and handle bars.

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Was the bleed hole on the top or bottom?

I run a shop mate and they have all been like that through the door from the supplier (as were every bike from the 08 tyax range).

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

No it doesn't - carbon fibre handlebars cost £100's - you're probably thinking of the seat post.

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I've got carbon fiber forks, seat post and I think the handle bars may be carbon as well, not sure on that one though, but my bike was only £250 more than Mankz's, it could be carbon fiber.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Just been out for first proper ride on the roads around Windsor... Did about 28K in 50mins, really gun fun! There are some really nice roads around The Great Park with long hills which are nice.

I'm really really pleased with the bike in all, a good investment I thing :thumb:

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Nope - carbon fibre handlebars are staple on £4000 race bikes not entry level ones - you can tell from the pictures that they're aluminium.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The bleed hole seemed to be on the top - at least there was a hole on the "top" of the lever which brake fluid had a bit of seepage from. And it had some form of logo/stencil too. That could, of course, be a different hole, so I'm quite prepared to be wrong. :)

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Rambles right, I meant seat-post. :thumb: Still, its light enough anyway :p

14. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Evening all!

Back for some help again - I've pretty much been given some mavic mtb rims (well and the rest of the wheels as well) which i was going to stick straight on, however;

The rear hub has a shimano 7 speed cassette on it which i can't get off. I've got a cassette lockring tool but having dismantled it as much as possible, it doesn't seem to employ a lockring to hold the cassette in place. I've got a 9-speed to go on it, am i correct in thinking that I probably can't throw a 9-speed cassette on a 7-speed hub? I'll grab a picture of the origional in minute. Any suggestions?

RwD

15. Cookie Monster

I'd say they are the correct way round then and the shop you got it from already sorted it out.

Have you got a chain whip to hold the cassette still while you remove the lock ring with the tool?

How are you holding the wheel when trying to remove it? Best way is to stand with the wheel leaning against your shins, whip in your left hand with the chain going over the top of the cassette (left to right) then the tool in the lock ring with it attached to a 1/2" socket bar / adjustable spanner ect.

Once off i'd test the 9 speed cassette on the freehub body, my guess would be though as there are differend length freehubs for 7, 8 and 9 speed (though I think 8 and 9 are the same). Sure someone can put me right on this though.

16. RinSewand

That's the problem - it doesn't have a lockring. I've put a pic below, it's not amazing but it illustrates the point. In that photo, the cassette won't come off, and I haven't removed the lockring

[​IMG]

RwD

17. Cookie Monster

I'd say that the cassette is stuck on the freehub then, this is really common on decent hubs when a cheaper cassette is used because the freehub body is soft and cheaper cassettes are just a mix of individual cogs. When pedaling each cog cuts into the freehub body which makes removal difficult. look at this pic of the grooves cut into the freehub by the cassette.

You need to try and hold the freehub still while turning the cassette (the opposite way to drive) this should release the cassette, other than that just pull like hell. Once off its possible to file the freehub down to help fitting an removal of the new cassette easier in the future.

Have a read of the page the pic is off, recommends agains using quite a few sram cassettes.

Hope this cracks it. If it does, i'll pm you my bank details for payment :D if not erm :duh:

Last edited: 12 May 2009
  18. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

It's not a cassette by the looks of it, it's a block (MFW - Multiple freewheel), you need a block specific tool to remove it. You need to turn the tool counter clockwise to undo, you don't need to use a chain whip.

If it is a block then a cassette wont fit at all, if it is a 7 speed cassette wheel you can't use an 8 or 9 speed cassette anyway as the 7 speed bodies are narrower.

Any more pics?

Last edited: 12 May 2009
  19. RinSewand

ahh I had wondered if that was the case FIBRE+ as otherwise i can't see how the cogs would stay on. Thinking I might just sell this set and leanr how to make them or have some made...

What pics would help? Any specific angles?

RwD

20. Cookie Monster

There is no where for a tool to slot into the block unless your looking at the 2 grooves (9 and 3 oclock) and they are not the typical grooves found inside a block.

How old are the wheels from new?

Also compared to the cost of the tools and how often your likly to use them (unless you like stripping your bike to clean it) i'd take it to a real bike shop (not halfords) because they should only charge you a couple of quid.