1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 pricing unveiled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Jun 2009.

1. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

Reckon its a BT typo.
    I am also annoyed with the EC, this is just a ridiculous solution. Is there any word on OEM pricing though?

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

So Home Premium, full version, for £50 in the UK?

Sold.

3. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Do you rekon tesco's will sell em two for 20 quid :rolleyes:

4. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I'm liking the home premium for £50 offer, that's the sort of price I'd expect to pay for an OS!

I too would like some news on the OEM pricing, as I'd have thought that's what most of us buy on this site.

5. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I want to buy a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro OEM licence if they don't cost more than €150 (I don't give more than that for an OS).

Until then, XP Cheesecake.

IMAO the difference between Retail Professional and Ultimate is ridiculous.

6. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I'll be pre ordering a copy of the 64 bit Pro edition at that price. Even if the original info was wrong at £79.99 and the price is in fact £99 it's still significantly less than the full whack of £220.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I was thinking of mailing a flask of astroglide to microsoft and a letter asking them to shove this OS up their ass.... then i remembered that MS is like a really drunk and dumb chicken with some sort of brain disorder on cocaine!

IF THE BLOODY BROWSER WAS THERE THEN THE PERSON WANTS THE BLOODY BROWSER!!!!

/rant

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I personally believe not selling upgrade versions is just Microsoft sticking the knife in European's I mean come on, how hard is it to just program the upgrade not to include Internet Explorer? If upgrade is designed to keep all your settings but move to a new OS why would it NEED to take Internet Explorer over? Bare in mine I'm an upgrade noob, I'm much more a format to upgrade kinda person ^_^

9. mHod

mHod What's a Dremel?

I'd like to point out, to people that blame the European Union for the browser-less versions of windows that was not the EU's preferred solution.

They wished to see a choice given to consumers the first time the system is booted so the user could choose between the major browsers e.g. IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

You should be laying the blame at the feet of MS as it was entirely their idea to do it this way, and you can see why... Majority of windows installs are sold via OEM's, and there is nothing stopping the OEM from putting a browser on it... probably IE!

Hey presto, MS get's PC's with IE on them anyway and makes the EU look bad...

10. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

but but but....!!! what about OSX?! that has safari on it and i want the choice to install Firefox on it. Apple should be taken to court for not opening up their OS to third party makers of Internet browsers and should sell a version without a web browser on it....

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    /rant

Back on Topic, im tempted to get windows 7 on pre-order to save monies but ive never bought an OS untill after the first SP.

11. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

You seem to forget that had the EU not stepped in at all, we wouldn't have the situation. Web browsers and OSs go hand in hand I think, and Microsoft is responding - and why shouldn't it respond like this?! If I were in MS's position I'd probably do the same thing. My point is that it IS the EU's fault we European consumers are getting it tough, and there's no way around this.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

QFT!

rep++ [or not because I can't give you some rep right now]

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Quite frankly, having looked at the pricing - and seen what Windows 7 has to offer - I'll be sticking with the far more cost-effective Linux.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well, you get what you pay for. What's a high-end computer worth without the ability to play games on it?

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's what my consoles are for. My PC is for work - and Linux does that admirably.

16. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

Me likes the £50 price.

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'll definitely grab either the £50 Home Premium or if it's really £79 I'll get Professional.

18. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Good for you. The rest of us still get shafted.

I don't mind paying £100 for pro, the Win XP mode and automatic backups are worth it for me. The extra languages and bitlocker are not worth a £120 premium for Ultimate IMO.

19. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

I think something quite important has been missed, are these prices RETAIL or OEM?

20. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Isn't the (E) version without Ie kinda like having a house with no doors? I mean with no Ie, you have to use sneaker net to get a web browser on there don't you?

Tags: Add Tags