1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft not worried about Chrome

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2009.

1. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Moot points indeed. I won't be switching from windows until another OS proves that it is a viable entity for all my needs.

2. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

crazyceo, do you work for Microsoft? Or do you just mindlessly believe every advertisement you see?

Google can be trusted with private data no more than any other company in the world, especially Microsoft. And mr. Ballmer should finally learn to read at least something about things he talks about. Chrome OS and android HAVE the same codebase, they only differ in target devices and UI. But i don't expect him to actually read about it, I had the misfortune of meeting him in person a few years back and he sounded like a Windows-obsessed junkie, "all your base are belong to us" type.

3. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

Ballmer is a retard... android is for PHONES...

4. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Does Microsoft HAVE cause to worry ;)

5. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

No, it doesn't. It takes you here.

http://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/homepage-most-visited1.jpg

Crazyceo, you sound like an idiot.

Huh?

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Hehe, no I don't. Iron is the Chrome browser, but with all the google adware that collects your data and analizes your behavior removed.

7. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

CK?

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hehe well balmer is the guy who roid raged, threw a chair across a room, and yelled google was nothing but a house of cards when they hired one of it's beaverfaces

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

even CK isn't that.... nevermind.

10. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

i cant stand fanboys.

more competition is good for innovation, good for industry, good for the marketplace and ultimately good for the consumer.

you dont need to 'kill' microsoft to shake things up a little, thats what apple realised a few years ago and instead have tried to forget what microsoft does and focus on their core markets, which coincidentally has worked out extremely well for them.

you don't see an OS X enterprise edition though do you?

just the same as we wont see a chrome os 'pretty designer' edition or a chrome os 'canfaxalldaylonguntilitBSOD' edition.

find a niche in the market, focus on it, give consumers choice and ultimately evolve the market. how many consumers really need every feature of windows? it was an epiphany i had with my TyTN ii. It's a fantastic phone, but you know what I use my phone for? Texting, calling, and checking the time. I don't need GPS, I don't need conference calling, I don't need any of this crap. Same with the iPhone if I'm honest, I don't need applications to play snooker on. Why did I sign myself up to a credit deal for £380 for a phone (essentially what an 18 month contract is?). I have enough student debt as it is (£18k currently in case you were wondering, ty government for scrapping free uni education).

For a lot of people (most likely not us ;), anyone who likes to hack apart their computer case with dremels typically doesn't come under the 'casual pc user' thing only wants to do a few things with a computer.

1. Instant message with friends.
    2. Social networking websites.
    3. E-mail.

of course there are extra caveats with other things like uploading photos to social networking sites etc., but people are seeing the computer now not as an activity or hobby unlike us but just as a tool, like a mobile phone, for communication.

Just like the average consumer does not need a HTC TyTN ii to make calls, the average consumer does not need Windows XP / Vista / 7 to go on facebook, talk to friends, and check their e-mail.

11. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Further to my long post (sorry!), a quote from someone that was told to me by an extremely bright friend of mine:

"The sign of good engineering is not adding everything possible, but removing everything possible" (or something to that effect!

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Tell my bulletproof IBM Android is for phones. It's running Cupcake now.

I'll echo that I want gaming. Until I get it, I'm not fully able to jump ship.

The moment it gets done right I'm gone, screw you MS. I'm FAR more happy with Linux than I ever was with Windows. If it ran all my games right I'd dump it before 7.

13. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I assume your are forgetting about this little API collection known as DirectX? Unless a developer specifically writes the game for Linux, normally ID Software, or you cock about with WINE and that isnt perfect, gaming wont come to Chrome OS.

Ive used Linux and ok, it does its job, just as windows does, but I always have to game in windows, as Linux just aint up to it. Now people have been trying to get games on Linux for years and nope still got no where.

I think ChromeOS will do well in some markets but it will be a niche OS, like Linux and OSX outside of the fanboys/window haters etc

Kimbie

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Firefox is being doing that for some years now. The Search bar of Firefox is not necessary.

15. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Yes I can't stand fanboys either. However, you are all climbing over yourselves crying the superiority of Google/Chrome.

The whole point of the Google ADWARE is to make them money and going off new results you are all lining their pockets rather nicely with nothing to show of any significance for it.

So when your Windows7 goes down due to a virus or glitch caused by your third party browser, be honest and post the truth. You will be installing Windows 7 because the Google ADWARE OS will be completely incompatible as an Apple OS.

Right, that's two fanboy camps insulted now. Let's see who cries the most while I laugh in compatibility heaven! ;-p

16. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

The *nix community won't stand for anything other than standard (Fairly unobtrusive and easy to ignore) Google Adwords in an OS...

I really wonder if you have any comprehension of the blinkers that you have on. It's an incredible cheek you have calling others Fanboys, when you are so far up Microsoft's arse I think you are after a job in their PR department.:rolleyes:

As many have said, a large percentage of PC Users are only sticking with Windows because of the Gaming. *IF* that changes, then there will be a severe market decline for them. Will it change? It'll be fun watching someone try it.

And Apple OS, much as I choose not to use it, generally "just works".

For the record, I run Win7 RC, XP and several flavours of *nix... and while I appreciate the Intentions and efforts of Open Source, it's got a ways to go yet before most of my Customers would swith to it.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

you are talking out of your ass about the superiority of IE... tell me one feature that you can not find on other browsers.

Let me start IE8.... it's standard home page is msn.com (owned by Microsoft), it looks like this:

[​IMG]

msn.com

can you spot an ad? if your answer is no then go see the eye doctor.

i will not post a screencap of google.com, i think its relatively obvious that you can not see an ad anywhere:

google.com

who is making money out of who every time you open your browser?

plus the fact that (IIRC) of the 10 most visited sites in the world 9 belong to google, statistically what is the most probable site that you will use as a home page?

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", i think you will find that windows 7 has copied some moves from Apple OS's book... just saying...

been using windows 7 for some time now... the first time i had to re-install it was when thought: "IE must have evolved into something better since the last time i used it... lets try it out".

I am perfectly happy with open source software, thanks to the fact that they are open source, people can spot holes and faults faster and create variations that do not contain certain parts or contain extra parts that are useful or cool.

I love variety and love to use several variants of the same thing to see what is better and what is worse.

There was once a person that told me not to feed trolls and fanatic fanboys, consider this your last meal from my hands.

ps: compatibility heaven? compatibility over your own standards or compatibility over real standards?

18. crazyceo

This is hilarious.

How can you all spout the alledged superiority of other third party browsers when you don't even know how to use IE8.

All of the rants on this topic haven't proved a damn thing or shown me anything that is an improvement over IE8.

Steve-o is right to talk down the laughable competition of the Google/Linux OS.

Go play in the open source yawnfest topics girls whilst I enjoy the true compatibilty heaven that doesn't require me to download software and install patches to open anemail attachment.

Linux trolls you really don't have a clue just like the iCrap fanboys.

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

You have yet to show us a point where IE8 is superior to other browsers...

As for compatibility heaven... have you tried to see if IE8 is compatible with internet standards? Try making IE8 pass an acid3 test with a value similar to third party browsers.

As for downloading and installing software and patches to open email attachments in linux or iCrap? have you tried one or the other? have you used one of them for a significant period of time? please name the linux distribution that you used.

thank you.

20. crazyceo

Why would I change to 2nd or 3rd rate offerings? I'm happy with the world's most used and loved operating system and software solutions.

I don't doubt that you are more than happy with your choices and comfortable with the certain restrictions or limitations. However, you must accept that hardware and software developers just cannot justify putting the work or money into different standards when some just aren't going to be used by many potential customers.

If Apple can't get it done with all it's financial backing then what chance for free open source offerings. The community will surely help but to what standard?

It's purely a numbers game and unfortunately the competition is just too far behind to make any real challenge.

Tags: Add Tags