1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD releases OpenCL SDK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 7 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Woot awesome, cant wait to see what people come up with ^^

3. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

Hopefully CoreAVC can use this to implement hardware acceleration for video files. fingers cross.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Why don't some smart programmers use the SDK to make it cuda compatible. Instead of rewriting the cuda apps to run an a ATI GPU?

5. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

why don't some smart coders make an opensource version so things aren't split up between cuda and stream? isn't M$ doing something like that with Directx11

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Would be neat if Stanford used this to make ATi GPUs more competitive in folding again.

Also want a PC capable of upscaling as well as my PS3.

7. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Be carefull, this release still only supports OpenCL on the CPU. If you look at the "what's new" on the product page, it only mentions OpenCL for CPU, which is how other sites are reporting it.

8. HourBeforeDawn

well on the physics side of things, I know thats what MS is doing with DirectX 11 and same goes with OpenCL which will be nice as it will work with both manufactures.

9. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

Or maybe nVidia should just throw CUDA out of the window and start supporting OpenCL or DX11 Compute Shader as a standard. That would make everyone's lifes easier (I think :p). On topic, I think this is a good move by AMD. They haven't get the market trust back again but at least they're on the right track now. Hopefully more and more peoples will consider to buy AMD's products again (including me :)

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

There's only one thing I'm still perplexed about....WHY ISN'T AMD improving steam?

This is a good step though.

11. HourBeforeDawn

+1 on throwing out Cuda and PhysX for that matter

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

Nvidia does support OpenCL - drivers are here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_opencl.html

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

I happened to be away on compassionate leave on Friday and, as a result, a factual error crept into this article - I keep right up to speed on the latest developments in GPU technology and GPU computing, so I would have proofread or edited this article had I been at work. ATI Stream SDK 2.0 beta 2 does not support GPU acceleration in OpenCL, as was suggested in this article. I have written a supplementary article to this one, detailing AMD's plans for GPU-accelerated OpenCL support in Stream SDK: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/08/10/ati-stream-sdk-v2b2-gpu-support/1

Tags: Add Tags