1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Prime - Update: May 21st - Yes, really

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sleepstreamer, 1 Nov 2009.

1. Bouly

Bouly What's a Dremel?

Congratulations , very nice job :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Wow you guys never cease to amaze me it makes my mods look like childs play

Great work!

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Very cool mod

I was just wondering what grade aluminum you are using and how easy is it to bend? What equipment are you using to bend it with? Are you using 3mm aluminum for all the parts? I was thinking of starting a mod and I was just wondering what I'm getting myself into :hehe:

Thanks for your help

4. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Thanks!

Thanks man!

Well the grade is kinda difficult to compare since countries have different designations all the time. However, the alu I'm using is called 1050A in Sweden , which is basically just Aluminium, without any special characteristics.
    I'm using a simple bending brake to bend everything, I'd suggest though that you spend a few bucks if you want something that works well, mine is barely worth the metal it was built from. (http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4999/dsc03792t.jpg)

I've used everything from 1mm to 6mm in this build, most of the interior parts are 2mm, frame is 80x50x6mm L-profile (I think), and some of the exterior is 1mm.

Aluminium really is super-easy to work with, which is why it's the most popular metal in casemodding. Btw, the Jigsaw blades I'm using are Bosch T227D, I'd gladly recommend them to anyone seeing this and can't get the cuts quite right, slices though 5mm alu like it's butter.

Thanks!

The_Beast likes this.
  5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Thanks for your help.

+ rep

6. shakka65

shakka65 What's a Dremel?

This mod is truly epic. You make it look so simple (working with the aluminum). What I really like is the way you layered the skin. This gives it depth a 3D look. Seeing this make me want to mod. Simply awesome.

7. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Woah, kick ass.

8. Sleepstreamer

Thanks!

:)

I've began to play around a bit with the interior stealth that'll hide the mobo (and everything else on it), still a work in progress, but I'm thinking I'll stick with this design, more or less at least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imagine that in black with some mesh behind it, plus a piece in front of all the cutouts for that 3D-look. I think it'll look great at least :)

Expecting a package with some goodies any day now. Patience... :wallbash:

9. shakka65

shakka65 What's a Dremel?

This build is truly over the top:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

10. NysoO

NysoO Handcrafted

Well built as always! I would imagine that those "half-circles" could be a bit weak though. Of course you don't have to grip and bend but I would be very carefull with them. But with some mesh under it it shouldn't be a problem.

Keep it up man!

11. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

This is some really impressive work, Sleepstreamer. :)

Can't wait to see the finished case.

12. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Tis but a plethoric medley of aluminium!

13. Sleepstreamer

Yep, I've got no problems with that though, the case I've got now actually weighs even more than the one I'm building. Much rather have a heavy sturdy case than a flimsy lightweight.

Thanks for the confidence guys!

Some great news, Nexustek is supporting me and this project with two power supplies! Huge thanks :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

Looking good.

Sorry no link for the hinges lol, thought with your diverse skills you could whip them up yourself :), how does the motherboard stealthy thing work with the external case sides? will tey blend into eachother or be completely masked from one another?

15. Sleepstreamer

Ahh, yeah I guess I could if I can find the parts for it :) Nope they will be completely separate, my thinking is that I want a very clean exterior and an interior filled with details.

16. DragonONE

DragonONE What's a Dremel?

You leave this site for about two weeks time - and then you log in again to something like this.. must say it's a nice surprice :D

Congratulations on the sponsor :)

17. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Excellent work! Good luck on Mod of the Month! :thumb:

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:jawdrop: Straight from the 1st page onwards, this is outstanding, really awesome case mate, impressive, definately inspiring me to save up for some decent toys, they look like they are worth every penny, you have tools modders dream about, just glad you are putting them to really good use hehe :), this has opened my eyes and maybe my dremels days are numbered lol.

I have a cheap manual bending brake which is a little damaged and couldn't bend 1.5mm medium strength grade aluminium accurately and found that it can only manage up to 1.2mm maximum so it's pretty weak, your brake looks very good and with fingers, not an el-cheapo like mine lol so I'm going to have to get an ok brake with fingers as I even want to be making my own pci back plates so every bit of my mods are made by me and so I don't have to source them from other cases.

Must be freaking awesome having a cnc mill at home :) the video you posted of it in action was so awesome, did the job so fast, accurate & with ease, before I seen the video I thought it would be slow.
    I'm very tempted to not buy anything except for bare essentials until I can afford 1 :). What would be an average price for 1 like this you use? and any tips for a particular 1 to look out for that will be as good as this?

I bet the main frame is absolutely rock solid, 1 heck of a kick a$$ scratch build, I can picture this being amongst others in mod of the year 2010 :rock:.

Wow all that aluminium must have cost a heck of a lot. I just looked up for a 1000mm x 500mm x 4mm sheet from the place I get mine from and was £42 same grade aluminium too and you mention 6mm omg :).

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Congrats on MOTM nominee! Excellent build !

20. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

Sleepstreamer what are the dimensions of the case and whats the estimate weight before you fill it full of hardware?