1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware 600 - 700W PSU Review Round-Up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

don't buy generic ebuyer/cheap psus if you like your hardware.

After 6 months of rendering my 650w psu exploded, upon inspection the factory used cheapo electrolytic capacitors and had a piece of plastic blocking half the 120mm fan, which caused them to over heat, dry out and then explode.

Lucky for me it didn't take anything out, dont take the risk as when it explodes, if the circuit is still intact back emf caused by the magnetic flux in the coils collapsing will generate a large amount of voltage and could surge manically inside your computer like a rampant peado in a boarding school.

Its a false economy if you buy cheap, as it will cost you more in the long run, and generates far more wastage due to failed products.

3. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

and I buy the magazine because????

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You got to read it two months ago! ;)

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

haha im beginning to think the same thing tho there are some articles the don't seem to make it online. Also its easier to find reviews and benchies I want in a mag since I have them all to hand rather than typing in a search, waiting for results, clicking results, selecting page in the article I want, waiting for said page to load, scrolling down, reading, going to another page for conclusion.

Best example is processor roundup group test, or best upgrades for £100 article. Bindi any chance of another SLI/Crossfire group test? Been a while since the last one.

6. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

I dont see a seasonic x-650 there, ive had my x-750 for 6 weeks now.... surely thats enough time for a review?

7. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

That was a few years ago. You do want a efficient PSU with all the latest tech right? On a side note: I was checking out the wattage on the socket my old trusty WC cooled PC generates with normal/idle use. Its around 210watts 24/7. When playing a game it goes up to 290/300 watts. It also uses a OCZ modstream 600w PSU for about 6 years. (5 sata hd's, eheim pump. X2 4800+ on s939 sock. GT-8800, 3 fans)

Man i really need to upgrade my pc and get the wattage to around 80 in idle use. 200watt is to much!
    I can probably ditch the watercooling, ditch 5 HD's and buy two 1.5TB drives. Buy a smaller case the the Lian LI pc70 it now uses. I haven't over clocked this rig for years I see no use in it anymore. The excitement is gone to make cheap power out of cheap processors. It all is as fast as it can be nowadays.

But yet it still looks amazing the water-cooling inside the pc. Especialy people asking what the hell that is inside my pc. And see the look on their faces when I say it is watercooled. "water what???"

Last edited: 22 Feb 2010
  9. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

+ve's of mag - the batteries don't run out, it works in the bathroom, and my 2 year old likes the pictures...

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

More proof, if it was needed, that the more instances of the letter X you put in a product title, the better it is!

Definitely time for an XRX 4X XTi XKXX XX X to hit the market. What is it? Who knows, but it'd probably sell to Ford Fiesta owners with greasy fringes.

11. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

While the reviewed model was the 650w version, I have a Thermaltake 750w evo blue ...noisy it isn't and the cables seem just fine in terms of length, no problem tidying away at all.

12. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Didn't read the round-up, but just wanted to say that is a very nice article photograph. Compliments to the photographer.

13. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Makes me happy with my current PSU, a Seasonic X-650 - it's always good to have your own opinion backed up by Bit-tech's. Sure it may not have scored as highly as the Antec, but I love it as it's practically silent and very well constructed.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Two things:

One:
    No Noise comparison chart?

Two:
    Power consumption in general.

Lookin at you test setup for graphic cards.
    sapphire-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-vapor-x-review/2

You tested with these components:
    • Intel Core i7-965 processor
    • Asus P6T V2 motherboard
    • 3x 2GB Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 memory modules
    • Corsair X128 120GB SSD
    Not bad, just DVD drive and spinning harddisk missing...then I look at the power consumption page.

415W max... :D and only for dual core graphics. (ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB )
    Single core graphics max out at 300W (Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB)
    Weellll, unless you're going for TWO -two core graphics cards (2x GTX295 for instance) I'm inclined to disagree. :thumb:

Should we be happy running PCU's that never get loaded above 50%? Or go for a smaller (450-500W) PSU with a higher maximum load? :confused:

15. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Will you people stop complaining about this? Not everyone is in the uk, not everyone reads the magazine, yet we like to read the articles! If you've already read it, then just don't read it again, or post that it's from a magazine...

16. RttlnSnK

RttlnSnK What's a Dremel?

Well, i have a XFX 650W XXX and it does not sound like an insect. It is barely audible in my Centurion 590 with an intel LGA 1156 stock heatsink and a Radeon HD 5850. I think it looks quite nice.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

No Corsair HX650? :eyebrow:

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

No OCZ GameXtreme 700? lol.. thats my PSU and it has been a good boy....

10/10 on the Antec? oh wow.... cant say i remember seeing a perfect 10 in BT...

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've had a few :) Samsung NC10, Asus Maximus II Formula, etc

Tags: Add Tags