1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC Games pricing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by NikoBellic, 7 Mar 2010.

?

Do you think current prices are ridiculous?

1. Yes

41.2%
  2. No

58.8%
  1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

****ing hell warrior24_7 do you ever stop to think why you're getting wet when pissing in the wind?

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

he's just baiting us. Just let him get bored, that's what usually happens with kids. He should go cry in a corner soon if we ignore him

3. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Since I reckon the above to be broadly representative, let's just spell out the between-the-lines thing;

Console game: Purchase price £40, sale price £17.50 - Total cost of ownership = £22.50
    PC game: Purchase price* £20, sale price £5 - Total cost of ownership = £15

*Retail, not including the hugely popular Steam sales; if we were to include those, it's often cheaper to buy the PC game and keep it than it is to buy a console game and sell it when you're finished.

4. October

October Mariachi Style

Fixed :thumb:

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Plus all this stuff about trading in for consoles will end soon if the publishers get their way and stop it! I worked out how much i've saved on games and it was more than the cost of my PC!!! So consolers have it much worse than us. Plus there are games like Warzone 2100( '99) that is still being devloped and revised today, i think this will be unlikely for ANY console game...

Steam is the best thing to ever happen for PC gaming in my opinion, i don't even bother looking in retail stores anymore.

6. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

Anybody can buy anything on sale or in a bargin bin! Also,who can't buy and play old ass games...so what!! The true prices are the "retail prices" for new games, thats what count. With that being said, PC games and console games cost roughly the same at Walmart. Also why are PC gamers hailing Steam as some godsend? Assassin's Creed 2 is $60 on Steam right now, with that same supposedly horrible DRM, but it's $55 for the console version at Walmart! Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is $50 Steam and $49 Walmart (PS3/360), Dragon Age Origins Awakenings is $39.99 Steam vs $39.96 Walmart (PS3). New PC games cost the same if not more than console games. Of course there are console games more expensive than PC games as well. But what I see from Steam and Walmart leads me to ask where is the saving? Ther is none!

Add in the fact that there is no resale or trade-in value for PC games. You also have DRM, limited installs issues,a nd if you buy your games from Steam,possibly connectivity and availablity issues as well. This is why you hear PC gamers "waiting" to buy games or just flat out stealing them, because the value just isn't there...and they know it! So no, there is no way that PC games can match the value of console games, not even close. You can call it "trollin" if you want (because you don't agree with it) but those prices are real...it is what it is!

7. Warrior24_7

You're living in lala land if you believe that. If anything PC game prices will rise here shortly to $60 across the board for any game. Steam is a joke and gets told what to charge. You actually pay MORE on Steam in many cases than in retail stores! Plus you can't do anything with the game when you're done with it!! I love my physical media as it adds value to my purchase with rents, trade-ins, discounts, bundles, ect. I can also do whatever I want with it! Something that you just can't get buying off of Steam! That is no value at all.

8. luciana07

luciana07 Banned

Do you want to play games online for free?

9. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

THE BAIT

:confused:

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That made no sense if you had actually read my comment which you were replying to. Clearly you didn't, or if you did you obviously didn't comprehend it. So let me spell it out one more time before I lose my patience altogether: FOR ME, PC games are cheaper than console games. This is not some little paranoid delusion I'm holding in my head because I have an inferiority complex - these are the cold, hard facts.

As for Steam, I guess you need to have used it to see why so many people like it so much. Like I said before, I buy the vast majority of my Steam games in the sales, so they're much cheaper than retail. Even taking into consideration resale values of console games, they still work out cheaper. In fact, the last game I bought full price on Steam was SupCom 2, because it was only £2 cheaper at retail and I would have to activate it on Steam anyway (as it uses Steamworks). It would have cost me more than £2 to go into town and get a copy on release day, yet I was able to save the 45-minute round trip and the hassle of that, and had access to the game at quarter past midnight on the day of release by buying it through Steam. I wouldn't say £27 for it was overpriced given the amount of hours I'll probably put into it.

Which brings me back to the original topic of this thread. The question was whether PC games are overpriced, not whether they are cheaper than console games (which, by now, I should hope we have established that they are). If you don't have anything of value to add to the conversation without bringing up some console-related bollocks, then would you kindly sod off?

11. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Brand new console game releases in the UK normally cost significantly more than the same newly released title on PC.

example: Just Cause 2 Limited Edition
    www.amazon.co.uk current price

£24.99 PC (RRP: £29.99)

£34.73 XBOX 360 (RRP: £49.99)

£34.73 PS3 (RRP: £49.99)

Whenever I buy a console game, it always costs more than the PC games I buy.

Prices for PC versions may well rise in the future. However, traditionally, PC games are well known to be cheaper than console games. Which brings me back on topic to factor in this point as one of the reasons I believe PC games are not overpriced. This as well as all the other PC specific gaming benefits.

12. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

this is the wonderous next gen console solution

with the massive usage of xbox live they will be bringing in a steam style DRM with the next gen console, where you have to have a live account, everygame has to be activated online, and then is fully linked to your xbox live account,

it will allow you to play the game on any xbox however you have to be signed into your live account! and it will kill second hand sales in one go as you will not be able to sell it on

and the same excuse which has been used on PC gamers will be used on the console - done to stop pirates

13. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

tbh we need a new 'Is console gaming dying?' thread. Warrior cant keep bumping that without looking even sadder than he already does.

14. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

You guys are touting steam as a bad service.

for example, i bought bad company 2 on pre-order for £29.98 just before release. 1 Hour later i was playing it without waiting or needing to go to a shop and deal with a neckbeard.

Its a service I like to pay for, and the PC gaming master race is slowly killing console gaming, prove me wrong.

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Then you're getting ripped off son. Dragon Age Origins Awakening (PC) is £14.99 here..thats $22.52.

PC games in Europe are ALWAYS cheaper than the console version. Maybe you are just getting butt-raped on PC games over the pond..or maybe you should stop shopping at Walmart? lol

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I woudlnt be suprised if those prices were completly ficticious, well you know what w247 is like.

17. Warrior24_7

18. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

Not sure if that will happen as quite often you'll find multiple Live accounts on one XBox. Each account will have to buy the XBox Live Gold but can all play using one game disc. Only way I can see them bringing that in is if you can register up to 4 Live Accounts to one game disc or something but that really opens up a can of worms such as changing GamerTag or people who have no internet connection.

19. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

you say that but think about it, it is exactly what is and has been happening with PC's

if they make it a basic requirement of the next gen console people will just have to accept it or stick with the older consoles

mark my words it is what will happen with the next gen console ok i dont know the ins and outs of how it will work but it will be along the same lines as steam

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It's not so much a case of if, but when. Maybe not with this generation of consoles, but certainly the next. If you think about it, it's already happening to a certain extent with games from the PSN store and (I assume) the Xbox equivalent. Those are all linked to a single account but can be installed on any console with an Internet connection (i.e. pretty much the same as Steam). At the moment it's mainly limited to arcade games, but already full games are available and will probably be a major distribution method in the future.

Publishers are always looking for ways to increase their profit margins, and since all console manufacturers make their money on the software rather than the hardware they're likely to be in favour of setting up a platform which prevents second-hand sales of games (which many companies cite as one of the main reasons for loss of revenue for console games).