1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1,536MB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 27 Mar 2010.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The main problem is that nVidia had 6 months more than ATI and what they released doesn't blow the 5870 away. In the life cycle of a high-end graphics card 6 months is almost the maximum amount of time you can pray to be king of the hill today.
    So nVidia basically skipped a whole generation/iteration yet didn't deliver mind-blowing performance PLUS they suck when we start talking about power draw and temperature.

2. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

I would like to think that although the 400s are not perfect they are showing potential. The project has looked to be too ambitious and the release have not lived up to their promise.

IMO this is definately not the finished product, I like to think of them as prototypes of what is to come. The engineers must be kicking themselves for not creating something they are happy with; the marketing men/managers will be patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

Wondering whether this will force ATI to do the 4870 to 4890 facelift on the 5870.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah problem is that's never going to happen dark.. the cards a mess with one chip already.. needs water cooling.. and even then it's still gimped until they can get all 512 shaders running.. not even going to mention the power draw

funny firing squad gave it a good review.. guess they are in nvidias back pocket cause anyone who looks at this card unbiased can see what's up

the 5970 is in stock and woops the pants off the 480 if your looking for the best.. just found one stocked for $640 online.. the 5870 is superior to this mess in so many ways and the key word here is in stock XD paper launch comparing to 6 month old tech.. karma came back on the rebranders- they should be so far ahead of the game by now

if I was a fanboy I wouldn't even buy this seriously.. wait for the die shrink.. basically they're screwed

they should have a new slogan 'our milky milky turned into suki suki'

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'm not sure a Die shrink could even save this.

It was pure bad planning as they hadn't dealt with 40nm at all yet. Rather a re-spin like the HD3xxx series and it might save itself some face.

This does give ATi some breathing room though.

5. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

6. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

At worst it is still a very powerful card and it will only get faster as time goes by. Can't really say that for the 5870. And its 140 dollars less (although NOT in stock) at the egg than the 5970...

Side note: 512 shaders will only be 6.7% more powerful than 480 shaders, with bandwidth and rop count staying the same. Looking for 512 shaders to make a difference is a red herring. There's resource management optimisations galore to be made for Fermi judging by the poor 2560x1600 performance, and lets not forget this is a #COMPLETELY# new architecture. This isn't G92 warmed over ala GT200 or R300 to R400, its the real deal.

Parsnip out

Disclaimer: I intend on getting a 2gb 5870 later this year. I currently own a 4870 512mb bought on launch week, and I own a 2900xt now in a box in the wardrobe. I am an Array Technologies Incoporated fanboi

7. Action_Parsnip

The 3 series was just a weak card overall. I've softend on Fermi and will say its looking a bit like a flop, but you cant call it a flop and refer back to the FX5XXX or 2900XT. It actually #has# grunt and not just in certain games. No, this requires a category all by itself.

8. Action_Parsnip

Above post in reply to Elton. Forgot to quote him.....

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'm in full realization that the HD3xxx were weak(quite tbh).

But Fermi is in dire need of a re-spin, it has grunt, but at the same time, it's too massive, reducing it's size would have the same effect of the HD2900XT -> HD3870, similar performance, but much better in terms of power output and such.

10. perplekks45

You DO realize there's an edit button, right? :wallbash:

Aaaaaaanyway, as said thousands of times already all over the 'net: It's a good card and 6 months ago it would've been really cool to have it next to 5870 so everybody could've gotten exactly what he/she wanted. But not it's too little too late unless nVidia pulls themselves together and release some serious driver optimization.

11. MJudg

MJudg ProModder

Here are some realible benches of Dirt2, maybe the true numbers in a DX11 vs DX11 round.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Lolololol. That's harsh.

13. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

from what i can see, nvidia gets urinated on from quite a large height there :D

also, check this out:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/7

the noise the nvidia cards make it horrendous - the ATi ones are almost as loud but arent unpleasant to hear unlike the high pitched whine of the nvidia cards. its like they recorded some nvidia fanbois and tried to replicate that in the sound the fan makes...

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Just read the GTX480/470 review over at Guru3D.com. They actually claim these cards aren't really that noisy (several times at that). They even go so far as to "debunk" the noise findings of other sites. Also, the prose of the review is glowing in such a way that any diehard nVidia fanboy will wet himself. Wow! Talk about being delusional and/or paid off. I, for one, have lost all respect for Guru3D.

15. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

just to be objective here, you cant exactly say [H] is sitting on the fence - they do enjoy their eyefinity somewhat. however, i think they are right.

cant wait to see what charlie says tomorrow! he just rickrolled us on friday.

16. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

"The end result is A PC creating roughly as much noise as say a GeForce GTX 295. And again, we are not disputing that this isn't noisy, contrary .. it is noisy alright."

Taken from Guru3D.

This to me doesnt doesnt reflect what you have stated. In all honesty if there's anyone out there who know's sound, it's Hilbert. His methods are far more scientific and reproducible than anyone else out there and give, in my opinion, a better idea of what the cards sound like.

17. Action_Parsnip

You DO realize there's an edit button, right? :wallbash:

Aaaaaaanyway, as said thousands of times already all over the 'net: It's a good card and 6 months ago it would've been really cool to have it next to 5870 so everybody could've gotten exactly what he/she wanted. But not it's too little too late unless nVidia pulls themselves together and release some serious driver optimization.[/QUOTE]

Erm, ....there is one? :S

Fair comment, its late and in a rough state. But we could be more than 6 months from the next die shrink, so it might make up some ground. I mean noone knows if the next node will be 28 or 32nm (Glo.Fo), ....and 28nm from tsmc this year?....... ugh no thanks, pardon me while i laugh for an hour.

18. Action_Parsnip

Azreal consider yourself busted. Theres Daily Mail type slanderous accusations you've been flinging around there :-D

19. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

There is if you post from the forums but not if you post via the article, they forum and article posts are linked.

20. perplekks45

I agree it doesn't seem too likely for 28nm this year but still nVidia didn't get much right with this one. Sure, it's a monster but it's not far above the 5870, if at all. It's also warmer and louder apparently. Drivers aren't anywhere near optimized after a year of late development stage? Poor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an ATI fanboy. I'm just disappointed with nVidia this time round.

Tags: Add Tags