1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What would you do with 30 million USD worth of whatever currency?

Discussion in 'General' started by chimmy09, 6 May 2010.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

You would think so, but you'd be wrong :lol:

2. omicron

omicron Baud.

"Now let's look at what you could've won"

3. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Hmm... the equivalent to $30 million would be about 180 million NOK.
    The interests alone on that amount of money would make work unnecessary for the rest of my life, but I'd still want something to do though, so I wouldn't quit. Might take an extended leave of absence, but I wouldn't quit.

1. Clear mine and the missus' student loans
    2. Pay off the house
    3. Instant vacation for about a year
    4. Buy luxury apartment in Thailand - our winter home
    5. I'd get a crapload of gadgets and new hardware obviously
    6. A bunch would get invested to accumulate further
    7. A good portion would go into locked bank accounts for the twins
    8. Books! Many, many books!
    9 Oh, and a 14-16" Meade telescope with computer tracking system.

4. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

+1 for Thailand. Took a vacation their for 2 weeks to see my biological dad one summer. It was so amazingly different from what I am used to in Walla Walla. The air was a bit... thick, I suppose, but that was just in Bangkok. Actually...you just reminded me of a place where I would like to buy a house with all the money... There is this island called Samed in Thailand that is just awesome. The water is amazingly clean, and the sand on the beaches is pure white.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Vietnam isn't too bad either, although Thailand seems great.

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Stage the entirety of 300. With cats.

Mr Mario and stonedsurd like this.
  7. Elton

You would buy +4000 cats and make them fight tigers?

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Finish my degree, *cough 3 weeks left*

enrol in the masters program, with enough personal funding to live comfortable but not crazy, i.e buy a house not far from uni, and fully kit it out for studies, transport paid for and such.

Leave my self something like 10K spending money and lock the rest away for a year, unless i need access, where by two signatures would be needed to access it.

Maybe enrole in a manufacturing course in the states

Fund that, and then eventually start up my own engineering firm making all sorts.

Why buy a sports car when i could already design 40% of the components for my own car.

Oh and insane waterblocks and custom cases to make mountain mods look like children.

Once the company is established start a apprentice training program which would offer a secure job after successful completion of the scheme. I would rather help build peoples skills and work abilities than bail out junky chavs.

Would like a good portion of land too, for a good family home.

9. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I'd expect change from buying Greece for £30m

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I had the exact same idea about locking money with signatures and all.

Which branch of Engineering did you study ?

11. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

Spend about £2,000,000 on houses for my siblings and parents(that's 4 sisters+2boyfriends and my brother) the ones with boyfriends will get houses(one has three kids) and my parents will get a bungalow while my brother and other two sisters will get flats. I would probably invest around £5m in Apple shares(the iPad is a massive money spinner), another £5m on houses(1 in California, 1 in Barcelona, 1 in London and one near Chichester). £8m would be put in the bank and another £1m on cars. I would also give £1m to my group of 6 friends, with another £2m on a charity of my choice(undecided). The rest i would spend frivolously over a period of about 10 years.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yep invest it and live off the interest XD

I would probably do a lot of charity work too

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

there is a concept in zen, its called straight forward, or the forward path and it is illustrated by this story.

a man was in a japanese tea house and he noticed a women of particular mastefullness, every thing she did was smooth, timely, & mindfull.

He wanted to confirm that she was a master so he ask her over and she obeyed, he said take this and reached down to the pile of red hot coals and held one out.

With out blinking an eye, she rolled up the geisha clothing as best she could and took the red hot coal, she walked briskly out and sat takig off her outfit with the coal easying having made its way through many layers of her clothing.

She changed into fresh clothing, came back to the man and said, thank you for present, I now have a present for you. She reached down and took a red hot coal and offered it to him, wherby the man thanked the lady took a cigerette and used it to light it.

I think with 30million, you need to be tight, you could easly start to question the vailidite of your own exsistance,

What goes around comes around, I would mess with the universe a bit setting of interesting course of events based in goodness, Id build a perpetually funded cat sanctuary and employ suitable ex prisonors.

[​IMG]

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I would build a new workshop, machine shop and electronics plant. An eco-friendly datacenter next door and a nice house as well. Oh, and I'd buy the people who mean the most to me something nice too :)

Pretty boring, standard stuff to most of you, but at the moment those are some of the things I'd like to have in life.

15. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Invest most, charities and all the usual sensible stuff.

Then buy a few cars, I want an Audi Quattro, Caterham 7 and a couple of Defenders. The only really weird thing is a huge motorhome, convert one of the biggest lorries you can get in to a two storey moveable mansion!

16. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Given my penchant for speed, after the usual house, rigs, shiny bits etc, then it would be to build the trike of my dreams. Get Nelson Racing Engines to build a complete turbo nutter ******* of a motor, and hammer the hell out of it up Bruntingthorpe. I also want to put a humongous (Think 30L +) Aircraft V12 into Trike as well.

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yeah, after much more consideration, I'd take the spare change from the above and buy myself a few of my dream cars & vehicles. One is a boat but I'm not telling you which one ;) Fav Ferrari: F430 (Tunero version if possible - GOOGLE IT NAO) an R8 V10 and of course a '67 "Eleanor" Mustang. Travelling is something that I've thought about more and more these past couple of years, so I might like to take a "month here and month there" holiday as well :)

18. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

You cant make me be charitable... Freedom is beautiful. Id tithe the 7 mil, buy a house and a business prob a bar/grill and a car audio shop. Then blow the rest on coke and strippers... christian coke and strippers :)

19. Elton

Putting a bit more into consideration. I think getting at least 1 Aston Martin would be fine.

20. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

I'd fund various sleeper cells around the world to assassinate whichever world leader I don't like the look of on that particular week. I've long had the name down, complete with the initialised version:

SCATO (CTTKOMMARKHITBFTROHL) or:

Sleeper Cell and Torture Organisation (Committed To the Kidnapping of Michael Moore and Repeatedly Kicking him in the Bollocks for the Rest of His Life).