1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other RC helicopters!

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisb2e9, 16 May 2010.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Only problem I can see is that you won't get the "proper feeling" of flying a heli with one of those. But of course, they are much easier to just pick up and fly :)

That's quite a collection! I know I have seen that pic before somewhere...

You haven't driven hard enough unless you tear the rubber tire from the rim. ;)

2. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Where in Norway do you live Smilodon?
    I've only posted it on our local RC airplane/heli clubs forums. :)

about driving the rubber of the rim, happens all the time, I normally need to replace the tires after 1-2 batteries on my electric cars... I sometimes think a 5 turn brushless motor and 4000mah 3S LiPo is a little overkill..

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I live in Tr.heim.

I don't know where I have seen it before. Maybe I have come across it back when I was looking into buying a heli.

Nooo. You think? :D

Back when I was playing around with electric cars a 12T motor was pretty bad ass. I had a 17T and thought it was fast. Nobody had LiPos back then, though. Let alone a ESC that could handle the voltage and amperage.

4. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

I used to race 1/10th electic TC indoors, 27t/19t where more than fast enough.

5. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

All I can say is that a Heli takes some incredible concentration and skill to fly. Simulators are great for the most part but can be misleading I think.

I had gotten a decent one a couple years ago and thought it would be easy to fly (mostly due in part to my previous experience with RC planes). Needless to say it took me all of 20 seconds to crash and break it. I haven't touched it since (mainly cause the parts are pricey and I would just crash it again).

I have a love of R/C, but I stick to the toy cheapies and they provide as much fun as I want out of a heli (without the stress of crashing it). Just picked up a cheapy that has some phenomenal controls for what it is, I can fly that thing around the house until the battery dies. And it has taken some serious crashes without any problems. :)

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Those coaxial helicopters are poor training for 'proper' R/C helicopters - they don't fly in the same way at all and are best for impressing people with the ability of a £30 toy to fly, not that I have any better suggestions. An eSky Honey Bee, perhaps? The very small indoor ones are unbearably twitchy and sensitive for all but the best pilots - they take considerably more skill to fly than a decent-sized outdoor heli. Ideally, I'd say, you want a small outdoor 4ch/upgradeable to 6ch - the only indoor (micro) heli I saw recommended anywhere was the Walkera 4#3, which could be upgraded to within an inch of it's life to be a semi-respectable 'copter. Join a club if you want some proper tuition and advice, though.

My last heli was a .60 nitro with a Hughes 500 fibreglass body - it was amazing, but so threatening I only flew it a few times before it scared me so much I had to sell it, and that was before I let it get out of control. I've seen a few .50-.90 crashes, and it's extremely unpleasant dodging half-meter rotor blades travelling at a few thousand RPM. That's before you get onto the unbelievable roar, smell, cost and dirt of the powertrain. My one piece of advice is to stay electric...

[EDIT]

This too, I fly a low-wing trainer (having graduated from a high-wing 172 sport-scale) and can attest that it's much, much easier and much less stressful than even a medium-sized heli - even if I have shoehorned a .61 engine into a plane designed for a .50...[/EDIT]

Last edited: 19 May 2010
  7. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Bought a honey bee king 3
    Going to join a club in town to get some help tuning it properly.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the input!

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Excellent choice. My HBK II has served me well, and is nowhere near as expensive to repair as the larger heli I own. I've crashed the esky badly twice now and it wasn't all that expensive to repair it. The last time I crashed my large one it cost the same price as about 5 HBK II's to repair :rolleyes:

I'd love to see a bit-tech section just for RC enthusiasts! It seems there are quite a few of us around here ;) I guess in places of high "techie" density you're bound to come across a few people who are into the same stuff you are :thumb:

9. PureSilver

Dammit. I can see myself buying a HBKIII now... Let us know how it flies!

10. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

Do you happen to have a recommendation in this category I'm always up for a challenge :D
    Bah electric isn't nearly as much fun as nitro!

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Seems like a good choice. :thumb:

Hmm... After all this talk I have to fly this weekend. At least try.... ;)

I like the idea. :) "Radio controlled models and robotics"

12. PureSilver

Walkera 4#3B, supplied with CNC-upgraded parts, is supposed to be a pretty good little toy, and not too expensive either for an RTF 2.4GHz. You'll need to budget for extra main motors, though - they burn out pretty quickly (~10h of flying, less if abused in crashes), though there's a dual brushless version that's supposed to be a lot better. They're sold under a few names - BuzzFly being the most common, so have a look around. They come in both 4ch (fixed) and 6ch (CCPM), and for a 3D-capable helicopter they really are pretty damned small;

[​IMG]

There's a lot of online support for them, too. Good communities at HeliGuy and the like, so plenty of people who can tell you what's what. I also like the look of the Gaui Mini Zoom (a.k.a EP100) with the 3-bladed head, mostly because I'm a sucker for scale bodies. Behold;

{param}

{param}

Yeah, but nitro isn't nearly as much as turbine and neither is anywhere close to a real heli - you've gotta draw the line somewhere :D

Last edited: 20 May 2010
  13. aradreth

Thanks I'll look into them.

Well I've flown planes and am working to get a pilots licence so I'm sure I'll make my way to the real helicopters eventually. :p

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Those look like fantastic little machines. Now I want one... :(

15. Raptorex

Raptorex What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info here, will come in handy, T-rex 600 is awesome :D

16. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I love those little micros.
    I'm planning to get a Walkera 4g3, but those other ones also look tasty. Furthermore I'm considering a Blade CX3, and the tandem mCX. However, just today I placed an order for a Big Lama as I wanted something that can be used outside. I'm planning to make my way up to nitro models eventually - but I do love those micros. :D

17. Unicorn

This thread makes me want to turn this summer into a total hobby session :lol: So tempting, but I have a lot of other, more important things to spend money on at the moment, like my new photography equipment and tools. It's going to be an expensive 6-7 months :worried:

18. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

www.heliguy.com Get yourself a co-axial if you fancy trying it 1st, then practice like mad on a simulater, then get a Honeybee fixed pitch learn to fly that and then see what you want to do.

See you in a year :)

19. aradreth

Mmm I'd be extremely tempted to get a Buzz fly 3DS if I had a 2.4GHz transmitter already. Not sure if I have a 35MHz receiver small enough to stick in it so I might end up buying the plain old 3D with the cheapo remote... I can feel my wallet getting lighter already. chrisb2e9 I wish you hadn't started this thread. ;)

Edit: Oh and the big old "PLEASE NOTE BIND AND FLY VERSIONS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SPEKTRUM, FUTABA OR ESKY TRANSMITTERS" doesn't help either. :p

Last edited: 21 May 2010
  20. Unicorn

If that's directed at me, you're preaching to the converted. My RC collection stands at two electric Helis and three Electric cars, with a third nitro 1/8th touring car "on the way" - halfway through being manufactured but I ran out of pre-preg CF sheet a year ago and havent looked at it since :rolleyes:

What I meant by being tempted into an RC fuelled summer was actually starting to design and build my first DIY UAV, which I've wanted to do since seeing the hexakopter for the first time and being introduced to the world of home built UAVs (Mine would be a winged design though).

Getting my projects out into the world is more important to me at the moment though, so I'm doing my best to put all my resources into both creating new bespoke designs and getting the necessary equipment to log them professionally :)

Last edited: 21 May 2010