1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other RC helicopters!

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisb2e9, 16 May 2010.

1. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Let's say JUST FOR SAYING'S SAKE that I want a small, electric fixed helicopter to relearn all my rotary skills without the aid of my uncle (what little flying I've done I did with his Caliber 30 and the aforementioned .60 Thunder Tiger - both buddy-boxed). I've already got three 4ch TXs (one's a SkySports 4, I'll have to double-check the others), and I'm more than happy to assemble myself, especially if that means upgraded CNC parts.

I'm flying in a medium sized garden. Is a Honey Bee V2 the one to go for? HeliGuy are selling that with an included trainer (cable and CD) and the option of a stabiliser gyro ('Alien Command') - I'm pondering getting a barebones and loading it with semi-decent components. What do you old hands recommend?

[EDIT]I should also add I'm a complete sucker for a scale fuse, so the option for that would be appreciated.[/EDIT]

Last edited: 21 May 2010
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Hmm. It's hard to say. My HBK2 was the first copter I ever owned, and In the process of learning to fly I've wrecked it more times than I care to admit. The nice thing about it is it's cheap in raw form, and cheap and easy to repair. It's not though - like a lot of people seem to think - the be all and end all of entry level 6CH helis. There are a stupid amount of them on the market at around the same price point and they all share a lot of things in common, including how easy they are to learn on.

It's hard to say really. I couldn't use my HBK2 as a good example of an entry level 6CH any more because I've upgraded practically every part on it, airframe included.

3. realfakesnake

realfakesnake lost in the wilderness

Some one will have to warn you, may as well be me rc helis are addictive just look around any heli forum.

I started off with the king3 twitchy little thing but cheap to repair, next thing you know you will want to upgrade it to metal head then better servos then a good transmitter.

Then you will start to look around at bigger helis, by that time its too late you are hooked:D

In a year I have got a trex 450 500 and a 600 nitro and the best fun of them all a blade msr for indoors great little helicopter.

good luck with you new toy and dont say you was not warned;)

4. Tom Newham

Tom Newham What's a Dremel?

I agree with the post above.

I manage a model shop here in west yorkshire (featherstone for if you are around me) and I can safely say the temptation becomes a little too much for me at more than one occasion a week! I have recently purchased a Neon Blaze made by a company called Century Uk, the heli is ok, but if I was to go with anything that I hear about in the shop, the T-Rex range is very good indeed, along with Thunder Tigers E325 (Mini Titan)

But again, be warned once you dip your toe in the wonderful world of R/C there is no going back, you have to take the plunge!

Amen :)

5. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 24 May 2010
  6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yeah that's like the one that broke after a couple of days. Fun whilst it lasted.

7. Unicorn

For £30 you can't really go wrong, but they're a world apart from their bigger 4 and 6CH cousins. If you're looking for quick, cheap indoor flight, go for it :) Just be careful, they are fragile! I'm sure i don't need to, but to put some perspective on it, a set of CF blades for either of my two 6CH helis would almost cost the same as that whole kit... so you will get value for money provided you don't crash it straight away and break it ;)

8. Mr Mario

I got the micro twister one in the end, it arrived today, and it's great fun. I really want to get something a bit bigger now to fly around my garden :D

9. Unicorn

Told ya it's addictive :D

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Boo! you got yours before i got mine! should be here tomorrow...

11. Mr Mario

Chris let us know how you get on, have decided to buy one now, am thinking I'll go for a king3, or thier cp3 not sure yet.

12. chrisb2e9

waiting for the driver. should be here in 30min. but im getting drunk tonight. so, may have to wait a bit...

Edit:
    grrrr, got it (finally)
    and there is a slight defect.

[​IMG]

some crazy glue will fix it. but still...

And another problem, the tail rotor, has an issue. There is a bar that the entire thing rotates on. Well, its bent. And it wont work if its bent. No idea how it left the factory like this.
    Going to try to send it back if i can get a refund.

Last edited: 29 May 2010
  13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

14. chrisb2e9

Thanks dude.

Thought I would show how badly the tail shaft is bent.
    [​IMG]

Still dont know how it left the factory like this...

And still waiting on a response for my request to return it.
    If I have to pay a lot for shipping I will just buy the part myself and then sell it.

I would rather have one from a store in town. Easier to get parts that way.

15. Mr Mario

Happy Birthday Chirs.
    Shame about your heli, woud have though the shop would have checked and noticed that before sending it out.

Been having a look on heliguy, if I order a king3, would I need a pitch guage, blade balancer and heli tool box?

16. chrisb2e9

Well it doesn't come with any of that so if its something you want, yes. you would need to buy it separate.

That being said I would suggest something other than esky simply because its been hard to find parts. There aren't many stores in canada that stock parts, maybe you would have better luck being in the UK.
    Of course if you can get parts easily, they are pretty cheap so its a good starter heli.

I took the tail rotor off today and spun it up. No vibration from the main rotors which was really nice. I only let it get a few inches off the ground and then set it back down. I was holding the tail to keep it from getting away so i couldn't do much with the controls.
    Wish the tail shaft wasn't bent, i can see myself having a lot of fun with this...

17. Unicorn

I order all my parts online because the model shops here are generally few and far between and crap to boot. I don't like to tar them all with the same brush, but it's a lot easier to order from England and get the stuff in a couple of days rather than driving all the way across the country to be told that "we don't stock that" :sigh: So any vehicles, parts, or accessories I've bought have come from UK shops. I would have thought Canada would have a much larger number of both shops and distributors for RC parts.

18. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

What's the 250 like? I had one of those little gaui flybarless jobs and it was a total horror to get into the air. Popping it out of ground effect to take off and hoping the gyro wouldn't spaz while you were doing it.

Awful little thing. Ages to set up and then it wasn't even worth flying it.

Love mine, wouldn't mind getting the 6 channel jobbie for some indoors inverted followed by exploding helicopter goodness.

BTW night flying is fun. :D

Sup nitro buddy.

Can't afford nitro or crashes though... I'll get around to converting to electric one day. Until then it lives on the wall.

lol reckless danger. lol comments. lol run in.

19. Unicorn

Good stuff Rogan! You're clearly a well seasoned RC enthusiast :thumb: I'd love to get some footage of my helis and cars up on Youtube sometime soon :)

Last edited: 14 Dec 2011
  20. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Yeah I love my helis, just never seem to get the time or weather to fly em. And if you chuck em into the ground with any regularity it gets expensive fast.

Ground seeking missiles / Lawn augers - every one of them.