1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis Was Terrible

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Jun 2010.

1. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

+1

I find it amusing how the haters only stress the bad points and the lovers only the good ones. :D

I personally enjoyed playing it, but it wasn't "Wow, this game is good".

2. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

I don't know what to say. Crysis was great, at least equal to other FPSs of its time and newer ones as well.

If you want to be different and call out AAA game flaws, maybe try something like Modern Warfare 2, which actually did suck. Mostly because I'd played it 4 times before I even got it. Crytek get shunned and abused because they try and evolve, IW get praised because they change nothing, ever. That might be fine for a console sight, but I though Bit-Tech was better than that.

3. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

It would appear they are not.

4. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Give this man a cookie, or slice of cake. Best comment yet.

5. butter100fly

butter100fly Rebelstar Raider

still reviewing a game 3 year's later.....8 pages of comments in 2 days....you picky bunch

I didn't build my rig to play monkey islands, lah.....

am i the only one who didn't care that avatar had a bad plot - I was flying!

6. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

More than a poll to not make any more game reviews, they should open a poll to find out what are the weak points when it comes to reviewing videogames.

Like I said before, one of the most annoying things is the way they write the review, starting for how awesome something is, and ending with how aweful the game was, leaving the readers confused about the game, is it good or not.

And maybe this is because BT make a lot of noice about the little things, the best example for me is when they reviewed Fallout 3, they dedicated a LOT of time to the UI and how terrible it was, saying something about how NOT GOOD FOR PC GAMERS IS, to the point that I almost didnt want to buy the game, few months later a bought the game cuz I saw the review on another webpage and didnt remember what was the bad thing BT was talking about (seriously).

One of the thing BT could do better is adding VIDEOS, I mean, is 2010 still all we get its pics (yes, I know, you have included some videos in some reviews) but this is something that shud be added to every videogame review.

And scoring a game a 9, and 3 years later saying it was terrible, its something that shud never happen again, still noone has answered to me wth is that suppose to mean, IS GOOD OR NOT, ARE YOU GONNA RE-SCORE THE GAME IN THE REVIEW FROM 2007 OR WHAT.

7. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

It's an article, not a review. It represents the opinion of "Craig Lager", as seen in the article.

8. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

It's not an article it's a blog entry, the fact that it was passed off as an article as if it had any journalistic merrit is what has sparked so much controversy. There is a blog section on this site where, if it was posted as an opinion, it would have sparked a less fiery discussion

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

As has been pointed out, this isn't a review. The official review was done three years ago. This is a retrospective article about Craig's opinion. His opinion can be whatever he wants it to be and doesn't have to mesh up with the official review. Likewise, after three years of mulling it over, I might not think that Crysis is as good as I once thought. That's just a fact of life.

As for the games content on bit-tech, video is something we'd love to do more of. We'd also love to do more podcasts, have more special guests, get out to more events, cover a better breadth of games, do how-tos, cover mods and user content in more detail, do more exclusive news, have screenshot galleries and many, many other things. Unfortunately, all of that takes time and resources. We have a big team of eight full-time writers for the site (plus Gareth's hardware news) but everyone except for myself is focused on hardware and there's a limit to how much I, as the only games writer on staff, can do. Video reviews may seem a simple thing on the user end, but to get it to a professional level for us can take many hours of work and editing which, even then, just ends up getting flung on YouTube and not helping the site itself anyway.

In the end, it's a balancing act. We try to do the best we can with what we've got, while also trying to get more. If a video is going to be hugely beneficial to a review then we'll try to add it in - but it's not always the boon you'd think (would this article have been improved by video, for example?). Other times it's just better to put a review up, especially since most people just go "Headline, Score, Forum" without even looking at the review itself.

It's also a matter of the community too, of course - we're guided by what readers tell us. This is the first time I've heard any real pro-video voice on bit-tech, for example. If you don't tell us, we might not know. We always welcome constructive feedback. It's why we have a forum for it, so if there are genuine changes you'd like us to consider then throw them over there. It's where tangents like this belong.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2010
  10. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

I was originally going to say it was a blog, but I noticed it was in the article section.

11. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Great, gonna post some feedback in the forums.

BTW, if this is a personal opinion, shouldnt be then in a blog? :|

And another thing, i just realizaed this article its in a new section called games retrospectives, didnt knew were personal opinions or the existence of this new section, I apologies.

Still the feelings about the reviews are true, gonna make the feedback in the right section.

THNX

Last edited: 16 Jun 2010
  12. raybies

raybies What's a Dremel?

WAIT 1 Minute mister! Crysis was fun... don't you ever put Far Cry 2 and Crysis in the same article.

13. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Clearly this game has done what it intended: Its probably going to be very popular to discuss in years to come: Check. Has it given graphics card manufacturers a kick up the arse. Check. To hate it or to love it, i bet you still fire it up now and again either for enjoyment of the visuals or to check how your new hardware runs. Check.
    Overall Crytek are practically p***ing all over this article and everyone else. Check

In my opinion they did well. Wouldnt you agree? They got yours and everyone elses attention. They deserve a medal!

14. WarningFromSpace

WarningFromSpace What's a Dremel?

I really liked the game and it's expansion. It is one of the rare games that I come back and play again so that puts it above say 80% of games I play right there.

15. Steve @ CCL

Steve @ CCL CCL Tech. Support

I did, got some funny looks asking if everything was compatible for DOSBox....

[/offtopic]

I admire the guys who did Crysis for like people said - trying something new.. Not my cup of tea but credit where credit's due at least they tried something new.

16. AngelicPenguin

AngelicPenguin Banned

For the love of god, yes. Please post this on all hardware sites where graphics cards are discussed :)

17. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Whilst Crysis wasnt perfect, it did lay down a yard stick that has challenged developers and GPU manufacturers.

Who knows, if Crysis wasnt released 3 years ago, the 5800 series may have still been in "development" now.

18. comphard

comphard What's a Dremel?

I found it very enjoyable in the first couple hours with the special skills, choppable trees etc. Then I slowly started to realize that the game was going to be all the same to the very end... actually same happened to me with Assassin's Creed but that was an extreme case.

Yes, in the end I think that there was something about the story that didn't amaze me.

19. tupera

tupera What's a Dremel?

Crysis was pretty good the first time around. Every playthrough since, I stop the game when the aliens arrive. The game really took a nose dive of the icy cliff once they showed up...especially the anti-griavty level!

20. Simnol

Simnol What's a Dremel?

Can an above average Shooter become good over time ?

Tags: Add Tags