1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone iOS 4 released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

It seems publishing all these security issues and the not allowing a whole lot of users to upgrade is asking for trouble. Or is apple merely asking for early adopters to buy new handsets?

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Grabbed it last night for my 3G and so far I am impressed. No multi tasking or menu backgrounds for this model but the folders have been useful. Gone from 3 pages of apps to 1 with 8 folders.

Downside to the folders is that you can only put 12 apps in each one so if you have a lot of one type then you may need to rename a folder or two.

The email page is kinda cool, gives you a good summary of things.

4. ianajones25

ianajones25 What's a Dremel?

Has anyone upgraded to OS4 and had any problems as I dont want it ruining my phone?

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I upgraded my 3G last night. Downloading was a breeze, but the process of installation took an hour. It is very slow in doing a complete back-up as part of the process.

The iOS works fine. No multitasking or pretty backgrounds on the 3G, but the folders are handy and most of all, the new inbox arrangement in email. Now you can go directly to the inbox of each account and also a 'merged' inbox which contains all your email items. Each email is now associated with all the previous emails in its thread (indicated by a small number to the right of the email) and tapping on the email will display the whole thread. Handy.

Email will now also handle multiple Exchange accounts (are you paying attention, Microsoft?) so I have both my NHS.net and Googlemail email and calendars synced up. Which is nice.

In Contacts, when you touch the vertical alphabet on the right it gets a grey-over (like when you tap on a link) and going through the letters makes the list jump there rather than some hyperfast scroll that you cannot control. It makes it just that bit easier to use.

There is a new little icon in the top bar indicating when GPS is active which is repeated on the Map app locate button, a different icon for Calculator and a reflective springboard at the bottom. I'm sure there are some other changes that I have not yet spotted. All in all, the email improvements alone made the effort of upgrading worthwhile.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2010
  6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I've had OS4 on my 3G for some time now but never got around to working out how to create folders, after a quick google I've now got folders everywhere. Like rastus says, when you have hundreds of games, then 12 apps per folder is a bit of an arse. However, I hardly play any of them anymore so I reckon I'll just have a massive clean up.

Upgraded my other halves 3GS and checked out multitasking, can't wait for it to hit iPad ...

7. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Loaded it up last night and so far pretty impressed. Awaiting the updates to app's to allow them to support multi-tasking, but all in all it seem's for the positive!

8. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

well, i'm also guessing that syncing your NHS.net account is a breach of the electronic media policy- as far as i'm aware, iPhones are not provided by the department.

might not want to publicly broadcast that.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Took me about 10mins to update my 32gb 3GS the difference in just general usage is insane

It was quick before now it's ultra fast. Apps seem to load nigh on instantly, refuse to break contract for new one will wait for next

Really feel like it has given the 3GS a new leese of life

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

any word on 3GS jailbreaks yet?

11. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Got this last night for my iPod Touch 2G. No multi-tasking / wallpaper or anythign fancy. Folders is a bit meh since I don't have many apps. However the new album view is nice, and the improved mail app.

12. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

I've had it on my 3G for about a week and keep suffering from massive slowdown. Reboot it and it runs fast again but after a day or 2's usage it starts crawling :(

13. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

downloading it now, hopefully its enough of a change to stop me getting the iPhone 4 until I can either afford one or a free upgrade comes (in December 2011 lol)

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

And/or 3G? Couldn't live without sbsettings and a few other apps.

15. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

I've downloaded it and its taken about 15 minutes for my iPod to back up to 50%..

Not exactly impressed by iTunes compression method for backups right now.

16. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff What's a Dremel?

I updated my 3GS last night with no issues very happy & also updated my wifes 3G with no problems as well

17. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I've already upgraded to Android ;)

18. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Nexxo> For some reason the threads don't seem to be appearing in my email. Does it only happen if all participants reply each time or should it just stack all emails from the same address together (like gmail). Did I perhaps miss a setting? :worried:

19. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Upgraded on my 3G - no issues. Will get the full benifit on Thursday when I pick up my iP4. :)

20. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I am delighted so far, I have only one page with 7 folders rather than 5 separate pages. I think a lot of the changes will have to be pointed out to me, as I have only had my iPhone for a few weeks I probably didn't use half the features anyway. I do like having my four email accounts all on the one page.

Tags: Add Tags