1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iPhone 4 / iOS Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Jun 2010.

1. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I'm aware of that. What i'm saying is that unless O2 offer me a really good deal (i.e. more data than vodafone for less money) then I'm jumping ship. I was told by The guys in the O2 store that if you go over your allowance they don't charge you. They just let you know. If you regularly exceed it then they advise you pay more monthly or start charging for it. Orange operate the same policy on their 750Mb Unlimited (except they said they'll only charge if your jailbreak-tethering) Vodafone I believe charge for exceeding the 1GB. 3 have left their deal too late really, not their fault apparently, been delayed getting it authorised with apple, and I wouldn't want 3 service on my phone. Mobile Broadband in a city yes, Mobile phone no.

2. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Having spoken to a few people now on what our likely data usage is in terms of light, medium and heavy users, I've come to the conclusion these reductions in data allowances could be due to jail broken phones and tethering for internet and abusing/extended-use of the original unlimited data allowances?

Just a hunch, any other views for all the providers getting mean with data?

3. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

that's the response I got talking to all the shops as to why their chopping back their data packages. I personally atm use ~250Mb/Month But the idea that I may have to monitor it as i go along and disable email delivery etc at the end of the month, Fills me with fury :)

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Well finally got ios 4 downloaded and installed and although I haven't had a proper play around with it I am happy with the wallpaper and delighted with the folders. I havent tried multitasking yet but then again that's never been a problem for me.

5. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

They gave up with me very quickly, when I said I was going to be paying £12 a month for more on vodafone :D

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

PAC code recieved today... Roll on Thursday! :lol:

Spent most of last night messing with iOS4. The context sensitive folders are great - much better than having a billion home screens. Obviously I can't use a lot of the wizzy features on my 3G, but can't wait to try them out on my iP4 when I get it. :D

7. GreatOldOne

Just got a reminder email from Apple, telling me not to forget to pick up my phone on Thursday from the MK store... Like I would! :D

8. Connection|Closed

Connection|Closed What's a Dremel?

Upgraded to iOS4 without any issues, love the new features... BUT... I now can't connect to the web via 3g or gprs... no internet connections and I get the following error message...:sigh:

[​IMG]

Worked absolutley fine before!!! :duh:

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that message is when your phone cannot obtain a valid IP address on mobile data (GPRS/3G) i have it when i disable mobile data through jailbroken SBsettings toggle, setting my mobile data IP to 127.0.0.1

received an Email today, reminding me my renovation for iPhone 4 pickup :D can't want!

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

England as the laughing stock? Very good :D:thumb:

11. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Try resetting the network settings on the handset. That may fix the error.

12. GreatOldOne

To be taken with a pinch'o'sodiumchloride:

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/news/Exclusive-T-Mobile-to-offer-3GB-data-with-iPhone-4/284486.html

3GB? Good. The other interesting bit is what I've put in bold - If this is to be believed, T-Mobile will not have the iPhone on launch day. It would explain their tardiness on announcing tarrifs and phone costs.

13. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Awesome, I think I'm just going to wait until T-Mobile announce something concrete before I sign into another 18month contract.

Also, I just really want to stay with T-mobile because they are the nicest and most relaxed network when it comes to data restrictions.

Last year I was abroad for a business trip, I forgot to call them to request the £15 unlimited roaming pre-pay. When I remembered two days later, the customer service rep not only allowed me to buy it while abroad, but she scrapped the two days previous worth of data transfer (which would of been a fortune at international rates).

I just hope when they do get the iPhone, they don't become heavily congested and start enforcing tighter restrictions.

14. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Well the 3 GB would be in line with t-mobiles android phone internet policy. And if O2 are right and 97% use less than 500MB and that 0.1% ie the big users, use substantialy more than the 3GB. the limit would allow t-mobile to get rid of the large disrupters, take the people who use between 500MB and 3GB and make it look like they are giving away load of stuff which the vast majorty won't use. seems like a simple win.

15. DanFerret

DanFerret What's a Dremel?

Not due my upgrade until Sept but quite tempted to ring up Vodafone and see if they can help me out now.

Want one quite bad :(

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'm having cellular data issues too.

17. K

K 528491

A lot of people today having issues with cellular data. A few of the carriers have released Carrier Updates through iTunes since iOS 4 came out so connect to iTunes and see if it prompts you to update.

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Not had any issues today with messages or connection, although i have been on wifi all day, so i guess it's good to know everything still works when your connected to your own wifi connection.

I must say, i'm very impressed with iOS4, it's very quick, Folders is handy, and i've played with Multitasking a few times, and while it works, i'm not overly convinced it's needed on it. Will have to wait for apps to be updated to allow for Multitasking.
    Not sure when i'm due a contract upgrade or Phone change, but i should be able to change in a few months if i'm right in thinking, so maybe a shiny iPhone 4 is in order:thumb:

Sam

19. K

K 528491

20. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Very kind.

That's a bit disappointing sounding to be honest :( My iPhone has lots of similar games and they are all 'OK', but I was really hoping to play the above average ones on Kongregate.

That bloons TD game for example. There is a version of that for the iPhone, but it's the old version. The newer version (3 or something) that you can play in Flash is sooo much better. Loads of towers, a fast forward button, and some other really nice features.

I'll have to hang in there and see how it pans out in the future. I reckon if the OS gets a few patches or something and it can end up loading most of those games, I would buy one in a second.

God I hope so. I'd never need to buy a game again, and I would have so much fun playing all the latest flash games while I'm out and about. The flash games really have come a long way.

Each generation of phone is way better though so I can't really complain. My previous phone was a Nokia n95 and it sucked for gaming. The crappy little 4 way button made playing games like Speedball 2 impossible because I couldn't go diagonally :waah: And I had a version of Streetfighter 2 which ran at about 2fps and only had about 2 moves :) So at least the iPhone is a LOT better than that. But now I'm hoping for yet another step forward :)

It's amazing really, all that stuff in a phone. I was always so happy with the video quality in my 3gs and to think that it's 720p now. So cool. I also like how much better the screens look. Again, mine looks great, but these new iPhone 4's (and that Desire) looks gorgeous. With the improved battery and reception too... it's such an amazing phone.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2010