1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Tell us your claim to fame

Discussion in 'General' started by nescafe, 19 Aug 2010.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oh that reminds me, I'm descended from Granville Sharp, a British fella with a big nose who was instrumental in the emancipation of the slaves in the US. (The big nose has been preserved perfectly by the genes -_-)

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Big noses run in my family as well, B_E. Mostly from my gran's side, which makes them big Polish noses. :p

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not famous, but in this job I've met quite a few people who are earning more than I'll ever see in my entire life - Intel and AMD fellows, big business + boring folk etc.

Probably the nicest of them are the founders of Kingston (memory) who I met separately six months apart. One quiet, one quite nutty, both are extremely laid back and very down to earth people worth a ****ing fortune. Listening to a very animated David Sun inform us about the history of his company and how he and John made millions of dollars mostly through luck (his own words), after starting off by paying his son 50c a stick to hand solder memory to PCBs, was probably the most entertaining and eye-opening story I've ever heard. Sadly I cannot remember most of it now.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Bindi's claim to fame is teh_Banhammerz.
    No more need be said. :D

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

- my second ever lan I ended up being dragged into a UT2j3 1v1 tourny, i'd never played in a tourny before and ended up going on to win infront of a live audience 27 to -1, apparantly there were some high ranking people from the community in it who i never knew of so i pretty much shot to fame overnight, was terrifying really.

- Met Al Matthews (Apone from Aliens) at a memorabelia convension and ended up drinking coffee with him, an amusing fellow with a real dirty mind :)

- my rig ending up on here and in an american magzine with front cover and center page spread

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Not really mine personly, but the family one, Is that my dad was involved with the incident that got anthea turner blown up at the royal tournament a number of years ago

7. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I'm in MCV magazine.

I was on Skunk Anansie's table at the Kerrang Awards this year.
    I've been on TV watching a stripper at the Kerrang Awards, (available on request)

I've met every act that's been on The Album Chart Show since November last year.
    Shared a cab with Vernon Kay on the way to the MW: 2 Launch Party
    I've had my photo taken with Tim Minchin and he commented on my shoes "they're a bit flash for a beer party"

Any more for any more?

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Oh, Family claim to fame is that my Mom's Dad's Grandfather (i.e. my Great Great Grandfather) was a Scotsman who's profession is listed as "Sea mearchant (Illegal)" in the family history.
    I reckon a pirate in the ancestry (though it doesn't directly say that) counts :D

9. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Not too much here

I was in a pretty popular local band and we had quite a following

Other than that I run into Dolly Parton randomly a lot...

10. hardtailstar

hardtailstar "insert title here"

erm ive met Trevor Bayliss.....

and few others but i forget so cant be that big! lol

11. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

There are many, but the one I cherish the most is meeting and then cooking for the HH the 14th Dali Lama.

12. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

- Met Jon Bentley in London St. Pancras
    - I'm number 1 in the UK at Shopping Cart Hero and Shopping Cart Hero 2
    - Met Cain Dingle from Emmerdale and Harry Gration from Look North
    - Met Barney that does Prank Patrol on CBBC
    - Crowdsurfed Skindred (Sorry to the person I kicked in the back of the head if you're on here) and started the Pendulum wall of death at Sonisphere this year (right side at the front of Apollo stage), also started the ALAN! shouting thing that the campsite had going this year.
    - I *probably* appear in more Japanese tourist photographs than any other single man in the world

Think that's about it... :p

Canon likes this.
  13. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

FINALLY! :D

ermm... Im descended from W. G. Grace. :rock:

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I know someone who dated Layne Staley... that's about it, sadly.

Some mates and I took a large lump of money to a local arcade and played until we filled all the high scores with "LOL". That was kinda fame-worthy for all the fellow geeks who came by later and wondered what kind of gaming god came through and filled the scoreboard for every game.

15. Canon

Canon Reformed

Umm I guess this counts, I appeared in the RTE One (regional telly) documentary 'If Lynch had invaded' which basicly went over what WOULD have happened if the head of state in ROI in 1969 (that's Lynch) had meant his words literally and invaded the North.

It came to the conclusion, with the help of many ex - ROI captains and serving soldiers that they would have been decimated.

I played the role of an Irish Soldier, British Soldier, RUC officer, B Special. I was asked (along with some friends) because of our knowledge, we knew our drills in other words, so it looked authentic. The team in charge were a very nice bunch and propz must be given for how well they treated us, BBQ for lunch, unlimited supply of coke and water. I was miserable due to a hangover and they were throwing water at me all morning.

We did however run into the old bill in a place called Holywood, we were filming in a car park when a drunk woman (this was around midnight) felt that she should be filmed instead. So along comes 1 police car, sees a bunch of blokes carrying old SLRs, some G3s and pointing them at the motorway so no surprise a couple more turn up.

16. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

Jealous.

:rock:

Edit: All I can scrape is I shook the lead singer of King Blues hand.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm a moderator on Bit-Tech? :p

Mine's rather boring. I don't know any famous people (unless some well-known scientists count) or done anything famous but:

- I've been published twice (one article, one book chapter).

- I have two psychological models to my name.

- I was once interviewed to become the psychologist for "Celebrity Big Brother's Big Brain". I didn't get the job because I charged too high a fee (In hindsight I am so relieved).

One for the geeks: a friend of mine dove in the skips of Pinewood Studios after they finished filming for Star Wars. I actually held a piece of the Millenium Falcon's cockpit (computer panel) and a visor for the helmet of an X-Wing pilot.

18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

All right.

I currently have 5 CDs, 4 out of print, one should still be floating around, but it was me as a member of the Mobile Opera. Carmina Burana, if you're wondering. Sang first tenor.

I've also sat in as an assistant principal in the Mobile Symphony, as well as been the French horn in the Bienville Brass for a few things, and marched with Comus during Mardi Gras.

I have roughly seven patents, and I'm working on one for a watercooling fluid which could have a great second life as a trauma care wound wash and in medical situations requiring debridement.

I'm also working on my own design French horn and trumpets.

Finally, I'm one of the strongest people known with Marfan's.

And you?

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Supergeek! :rock:

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Al Capone ran one of his bootleg alcohol operations out of my great-grandparents' garage. They were paid in diamonds. An interesting side note: the diamonds made their way into engagement and wedding rings for various family members. Each person who got one ended up in a failed marriage, so some in the family believe the diamonds are cursed.

Other than that, my life is fairly boring.

Canon likes this.