1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress .:Filtration:. - Finished - New Video

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Skorchio, 17 Oct 2009.

1. HoryBP

HoryBP What's a Dremel?

Looks well.

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That drive bay section looks great all painted up, nice work.

3. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

Nice work :)

4. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Thanks man, hoping to make some progress this weeke

5. Skorchio

Huge update with some good and bad news....

Good news is the new powdercoater im useing is frikking awesome!!! Got my case back today along with some other bits that im keeping under wrapps for now!!!

First the good news, as allways i will let the pics do most of the talking :)

Some led wiring.

[​IMG]

The rad stand i made need new holes as its not right when the barbs are on.

[​IMG]

PSU Braiding....Oppss

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Building
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the bad news.... I think i have pooped my PSU, no idea how, and i still need to do some testing but when i went to turn on the floor it cut out after a few seconds, works fine with another PSU. Will be mightly pissed off if i did all that braiding for nout! Also i think i may have to get another EL Panel as one does not seem to be glowin in one area. I may be able to sort this out buy bending it around abit.

Alltho i dont care aboout the above becasue them last shots make all the effort worth while, it looks exactly how I imagined it bar the flushed front and top. More soon!!!!

Skorch

6. subset7

subset7 Spanking the Monkey

Really starting to take shape now Nick looks awesome,shame about the PSU,if you need another extractor tool PM me :thumb:

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The effect you get from the floor plate is awesome, great result.

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

:waah: Really sorry if it is the PSU! I think I'd probably kill myself if I had to re-braid mine! Glad the powder coater did a good job too - sounds like the previous guy wasn't good at all - even I managed a pretty good job on Warp Core!

9. Skorchio

Thanks guys, yeh if i have to redo it ill be very unhappy :)

10. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

Nice 24 pin wiring ;)

Ive been through the dead PSU after sleeving, killed my revo85+ 950 back when they were just about the most expensive units around. It was all for the better though as I went from a messy backpanel to a svelt modular wiring job.

11. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

So awesome :)

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I know how you feel, been there done that a few weeks ago after modding it. To say I turned the air blue is an understatement, but then again that might just have been the explosion. :duh:

Otherwise it's looking really good

13. Skorchio

Thansk guys. Ill try and do some PSU testing on monday :)

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The PSU may simply have shorted. Check all your wiring and try again.

This is a lovely project. Great design, great attention to detail and good consistency of theme. But I'd check out a few things:
    • Three DCC pumps are going to make a bit of racket. Does the illuminated floor rest on a layer of foam? If not, you may want to put something vibration dampening between the pumps and their mounting surface. Make sure the pumps don't touch each other (I'm sure you will have but just in case).
    • I worry that the laser cut grill on top of the HDD rad/fan assembly is too restrictive. This will reduce it's efficiency and increase noise. Try the fan and see what the airflow is like.
    • I take it that the fans in the two rads at the bottom are in push-pull configuration, with the air going through the case from left to right? Again run the fans and test the airflow before you build any further. If it sounds very noisy or feels obstructed, see what you can move about to optimise flow. You may want to consider ducts or shrouds sandwiched between the two rads to promote a straight flow through and prevent turbulence in the lower section of the case.

15. Skorchio

Hello Nexxo, thanks for the comment.

I think putting some rubber washers under the pups is a very good idea so will do that. yes the fans will be push pull at the bottom and i think a shroud may be a nice idea, i have another batch of powder coating do be done so will try and make it before they go off. Yes the grill is very restrictive but the fan is a 12mm slim that has a very low flow rate. I think this will all be ok as its only going to be cooling the south bridge and VRM's. But like you say i will be monitoring temps very closely, there is no airflow through the case by default design but im willing to sacrifice overclock for aesthetics as this project is all about aesthetics :)

Keep watching
    Skorch

16. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

Very good , just dont like the way the tubes go to the motherboard , i think you could improve that , the ligthing of the mid plate is lovely , and that white paint looks perfect!

Your in the good way, i want to see more updates !

17. Skorchio

Hi Raiden

Can you give me an idea on how to improve ? The looping is kinda tied in with how the whole project has been designed. But i would love to hear your ideas :)

Thanks
    Skorch

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I actually quite like how the tubing is arranged. But if you want to make it look a bit neater (all the tubing going bolt upright and parallel to each other as much as possible before veering off to their destination) you might consider billet hose separators of some kind. They are very easy to make yourself and look ace. You could have a six-hole one at the bottom and then two two-hole ones further up the tubing before it bends towards the mobo.

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I's also like to give you some ideas about the hosing... he's a pic:
    [​IMG]

The red line is a bracket you could mount on the videocard, or you could simply use the hose seperators Nexxo suggests. This way, you'd really get the three arcs over eachother to stand out.

Another tip i have about the short link between the two mosfet blocks: you can really get away with very short links by just doing the tubing first and then screwing both elbows on later if the elbows are rotary. From the look of it, they are.
    If they are simply touching and too long, you can try using these crystal link SLI-connectors from bitspower:
    http://www.highflow.nl/aansluitinge...sli-cf-adapter-bp-wtp-c47-silver-shining.html

My last bit of criticism is that the floor seems slightly to bright for me. Maybe it's just that way in the pictures though, but it seems to be drowning out a lot of features. Maybe tone it down a little and add a few lights in the top to give a good overall-lighted effect?

After all that it almost sounds as if i don't but i'm loving the project, keep it up! :clap:

20. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

THink this is awesome the whole design works really well together, keep up the good work and let us know when you know about the PSU we'll all be hoping for you that it works!