1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone Raven RV02 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 9 Sep 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

Testing tougher with less heat being produced in the case and more fans sticking it out?

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Seems like a good improvement over the old Raven.

Its a shame that the case isn't a bit taller to accomodate GPU's such as the HD5970. If this was the case you could run a HD5870 and a 60mm radiatior without any clearance issues.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

It's good, but not good enough to pull me away from a 600T.

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Sorry, are you saying our testing is not as tough as it used to be?

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I have come to the conclusion that i am mentally unable to process the concept of these 'wrong way round' cases....

Everything about it just seems...wrong.

Sigh....getting too old now to embrace new ideas.....

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

@Combatus

I was being a little tongue in cheek - I think testing is as good as it ever was certainly - but the component choice is naturally easier on some cases being less dependant on the heat disapation from the inside of the case.

I do however think the tests are better and more suited to real world circumstances and are less likely to down grade good cases due to the inability to use an unusual (passive) graphics card.

one quick question....

would rotating this case 90 or 180 degreed (with suitable clearance) honestly make any difference to cooling?

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Can anyone tell me - is there an RV03 or FT03 coming soon?

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Hmm, I thought the RV02 and the FT02 were the same, apart from the obvious cosmetic differences, so I was expecting identical cooling performance.

Can you share your thoughts on what you think the reason is for the difference in cooling performance between the FT02 and the Raven?

10. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

FT02 uses the air penetrator fans
    the RV02 does not

11. Combatus

Ah ok! I'd probably agree with what you said although the CPUs are actually fairly similar in TDP and the HD 5870 draws nearly twice as much power - obviously it's actively cooled though but still relies on the case providing good airflow.

Rotating the case, or rather the motherboard tray won't improve cooling on it's own. The CPU cooler might be lower in the case where the air temperature is generally lower but in most cases, it benefits from rear/roof exhaust fans so it would probably be hotter. The Raven RV02 and FT02 both have three 180mm fans in their base though and move air in the same direction as the CPU and graphics card. The only way you could get the same kind of airflow in a standard tower would be to have three 180mm fans in the front of the case - not ideal.

12. DocWolfe

DocWolfe What's a Dremel?

It's a shame the hard drives aren't more accessible, like in the FT02

13. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I actually like it and will consider it for my next build.

Would you see any problems if you added the new Corsair H70 CPU cooler? (We are due a review of that as well by the way!)

14. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

isn't there an E version coming out with AP fans and ft02 style hdd cages?

15. Combatus

There is indeed!

16. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Indeed there are! But i would not expect them anytime soon. RV03 get compacted with questionable styling, and the FT03 is M-ATX in the style of the old Apple toaster cube.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Gallery...rtress-ft03-cases-are-fiendishly-complex.aspx

I personaly like the FT03. RV03 needs a bit of modding. And then there is the TJ11.. :O

17. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

the case looks nice - I understand the general concept - but one thing i dont understand is why the sidepanel is on the RIGHT hand side - my case sits to my right hand side & my side panel is on the left hand side. what RAVEN have smartly done here is created a case of left handed people! DEATH TO RAVEN!!!!! GIVE ME MY RIGHT HANDED CASE!!!!!

18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

It makes sense in a way, as you'll see more of the top side of your nice jazzy graphics/sound cards in that orientation.

I have an Akasa Eclipse 62 (with clear side panel) on my desk to the right of me at the moment, so if I got this case I'd just put it on my left. It may take a bit of getting used to but I do like the look of this case. And yes, my desk really is that big.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Air cooled this case does well but using their adapters to install a Triple Rad and water cooling, the temps actually become worse... if your doing CPU and GPUs, there isnt enough exhaust and the internal temps and the temps of the Rad just climb. Personal experience... so ya great for an all air cooled rig or a CPU only cooled rig but the moment you throw in a few GPUs into that cooling loop. the temps skyrocket. I ended up giving this case away to a friend simply because I was not happy with it, gorgeous case but ya...

20. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

cheers, any release date?

Tags: Add Tags