1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard bans singleplayer cheaters

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Oct 2010.

1. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Oh superior are we now?

You do realise your comparing apples to bananas here. Your pontificating to show off but really it's just a brain fart.

Your generation? Now which generation would that be, before the Amiga?

2. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

100% Total DICK move on behalf of Blizzard and Blizzard hsould be ashamed and apologize.

It's Single player and is not effecting anyone. If it was multiplayer then yeh drop the hammer on them but single player? single player? we talking bout single player?

I'm sure "Gm0ney" is getting himself a non ban-able copy of SCII right about now. After shelling out $60 I would.

Video game achievements are totally juvenile anyway, go outside, play a sport and win a trophy which leads to a million dollar contract and a supermodel wife, that's an achievement.

This move totally smells of Bobby Kotick.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2010
  3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Keep it nice ladies, or there will be consequences.

Dominatorburster: There's no need to insult everyone just because they disagree with you. I cheat in SP games for fun, would I EVER cheat in a multiplayer that wasn't a joke LAN? No. I wouldn't even think of it.

Does their system for detecting cheating include file modification? If so won't that stifle the mod community for the game too? Perhaps a double-whammy.

4. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

LOL what sad comedy. just read Dominatorbuster and Supermonkey post.

People advance to harder drugs because here in America you got to be high to live in this country and because there is a drug store on EVERY corner, sometimes two drugstores on the same corner.

5. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

SP cheaters......GTFO

MP Cheraters........Go to hell

U can question legality all you want its in the EULA, u dont like it dont buy it. This game will be around for a very long time and those impetulant imbesiles that cheat....your money is not needed. If it means a better gameing experiance for all the proper gamers then im all for it.

You tick that accept box on the EULA you get what you get coming.

Great game, great experiance. Ppl that cant accept that they suck at it will cheat so they can say there decent. It a hard, complex game that requires vast knoledge, experiance and brains........When you lose to someone who cheats youll understand that it takes away everything the game is about..... Community competetivness and enjoyment.

You dont like it, take your money elsewhere trolls. Yes they could have given more forewarning about doing this so ppl could stop, but really.........

If your going to cheat the SC2 community dosnt want anything to do with you. Go play some midless shooter.....but youll prob need to cheat in that aswell.

Offline mode is there...........Use it if you want to. But understand that cheating wont allow you to acheive anything.

Have a nice life!

6. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

The amazing part is Blizzard said "We're not going to stand for cheaters", and people are getting annoyed because they're living up to their word? Single-player offline cheating, I don't have much of a problem with, but as soon as you're logged on, you SHOULD be keeping it clean. If Blizzard can't detect the difference between single-player and multi-player, boo hoo. They should have to spend ages writing a whole new detection system because you couldn't be bothered to unplug a cable, or click a couple of buttons.

The upset, I sympathise with, but don't support. The entitlement? Get lost.

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Between your inability to articulately communicate, and your frothing hatred lacking much in terms of base, but carrying much in bias, I think it's safe for us to discount your input entirely.

8. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

There is plenty of in game cheats that disable the achievements for the game, anybody who is using third party cheats is using them to get achievements without actually getting them.

If they wanna use cheats, use the ones that are already in the game then it truly does only affect them.

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Banning is a bit severe. If Blizzard is concerned with cheaters stacking their achievement points then I suggest they dock their points instead. Use a system similar to NASCAR, you don't take the win away, but you reduce the player's earned points.

I don't like using cheats and I definitely think multiplayer cheaters should be banned, but...

Using cheats in single-player games can be fun sometimes. Cheats can be used like a sandbox mode that allow you to test out different strategies and unit types without having to grind through the resource collection as one example.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2010
  10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

That's exactly the case in SC2. You can play offline and cheat as much as you want without Blizzard doing anything.

The ban was given for cheating while playing online, where you get achievements in the game-stats for single-player-stuff.

Alot of people might say that those achievements are of no interest, but they're actually of interest within the hardcore SC2-community, so it's only understandable that Blizzard has taken action here.

SC2-achievements -> http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Achievements

This is stuff, what people are proud of, and the hardcore-community wants Blizzard to take action against those, who are cheating this system.

Everyone who has played StarCraft for extended periods of time, being active in the community knows this.

11. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Achievements, srs business.

12. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Does Blizzard get the srs business achievement!?

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

That is not true, as was shown with Prohibition in the US. Placing alcohol into the criminal realm caused several things to happen: 1. Mafia groups and organized crime in general flourished; 2. Anyone who wanted a drink now had to join the criminal ranks; 3. Alcoholic beverages suddenly were unregulated, and as a result, could not be guaranteed to not cause adverse health effects.

Legalizing it not only keeps it cleaner, but it also removes the criminal element, and therefore some of the stigma attached to it. At that point it becomes no worse than beer.

At the end of your reply you suggested that it should be illegal to cheat in a single player game. You cited the "slippery slope" argument to prove your case, but I don't see any kind of evidence to back up your claim. Can you provide any evidence to show that cheating in a single player game causes an individual to become unhinged later in life.

I'm curious. What, in your opinion, constitutes cheating; how far are you taking this? Is your definition limited to hacks and mods to improve game play, or do you also include using the warp whistle in Super Mario Brothers 3? Cheating in single player games has been around for as long as there have been single player games. We have it easy today because there are so many resources available to us if we choose. Before the web, we had Nintendo Power. Before that, we had dedicated strategy guides and walkthroughs. We've had them since before King's Quest 1. By your logic, the world should have gone down the toilet by now.

Then again, maybe you're on to something. :worried:

14. stormsavant

stormsavant What's a Dremel?

Perhaps all of you need to reread the article here. This article is stating that Single Players are using THIRD PARTY methods to cheat in this game.

Let's set a few things straight here for those of us who ACTUALLY OWN the game.

Achievements have a purpose. They are a motivation. They keep players playing the game because people want to earn them. Don't question their relevance, if you think they are useless or stupid, that's your opinion. But they do keep players playing.

You CAN cheat in Single Player, but you USE the cheats provided WITHIN the game. You have never lost the ability to progress in the campaign any way you choose, even if it is by cheating means, HOWEVER, doing so turns achievement gains OFF.

This is important to note, because it does state in MOST EULA agreements that the use of third party programs that can create conflicts of interest in the purpose of the game and all its interactions is a violation.

If you want to cheat, that's your business if you're doing it in Single Player. By all means, cheat using the cheats provided in the game. Here. IGN even provides you with all the cheating information you need that is BUILT into the game so that you can progress however you please:

http://cheats.ign.com/ob2/068/850/850126.html

The difference is, those using third party cheating methods are still gaining their achievements while those cheating using the games rules are not. So you tell me how it is fair that I EARN my achievements playing the game normally, and those cheating using THIRD PARTY methods are allowed to earn them all the same?

15. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Thank you, supermonkey, for getting it right. DominatorBuster, how many people smoke weed that don't end up hooked on heroin? The 'gateway drug' argument is pure fallacy, as any credible drug study would show, if you cared to actually fact-check your arguments. And morality arguments are incredibly stupid. In 1916, alcohol was morally fine. Come 1920, it's the devil's own. Then come 1933, and it's fine again. Virtually all illegal drugs now have the same sort of history, minus the realization that prohibition doesn't work. The US has wasted countless billions on the war on drugs and has nothing to show for it. Look it up and tell me I'm wrong.

Now, as to SCII, I find it ridiculous, unfair, etc. However, as Blizzard pointed out, you agreed to the EULA and all that came with it. Maybe this points to the larger problem of EULAs themselves?

Same as krikkit and some others, I sometimes cheat in SP games, just for fun. I would never cheat in MP, because I'm not that much of a troll *$$hole. I'm not 13 anymore, so that sort of 'achievement' is very empty now.

Blizzard apparently made clear there no-tolerance sort of stance, so even the SP cheaters were taking there chances. If people really want this sort of thing to change, there has to be a revolt against this sort of policy on Blizzard's part. Even for myself I found the copy-protection schemes on GTA4 repugnant, but just the same I installed all that ridiculous BS because I wanted to play it that badly (after a long marathon of straight through VC and SA immediately before.) I wouldn't again, though, The last thing I want is more crap cluttering my computer and potentially phoning home to...anybody, really. Aside from the potential security holes it may be opening up, along with the idea that the studios take my money and treat me like a thief anyway. You don't like it? Make noise. Bury the studios under e-mails protesting this kind of treatment. More importantly: don't buy the games.

16. JA12

JA12 What's a Dremel?

Haha. These comments have taken the discussion almost completely to the pointless category. Excellent! I'm in :D

Any credible drug study? Netherlands isin't enough? :D

For the subject itself... Singleplayer mode should be completely offline, and I mean from installation or whatever to the point when player decides to play multiplayer. And cheating in singleplayer mode a bad thing or even immoral? Sure, if you live in some kind of bubble and judge every move you make. "Oh my god, I cut roots off of this plant, does this mean I have unsolved issues from my childhood". If so, it's completely acceptable that you didn't think of that singleplayer mode loses its shine and cheats (which usually are build in the game) can actually add value.

I'm more concerned this being an issue in the first place. No, just kidding. I don't even play nowadays :D

17. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Sometimes, if I really enjoyed a game on the first play-through, I like to go back and play it again using tips, tricks strategy guides and, yes, even cheats. I paid for the game, I enjoyed it, and I am trying to discover all the additional content hidden throughout the game without sinking 400 hours into it. What exactly gives a company the right to prevent me from playing the game? I'd like to see them try, I will do a chargeback sooner than I can say "Suck my b*lls"

@Dominatorbuster:
    Your prejudice astounds me. You should be ashamed of yourself. That a grown man ( I presume from your posts) can spout such utter rubbish without any factual basis is far more worrying than any number of 13-year-olds cheating in a game.

We can carry on the discussion if/when you start providing some factual and/or logical basis for your statements, rather that just reciting what the Daily Mail brigade has drummed into you.

P.S:I was probably no older than 11 when I first started playing computer games and using cheats. If you feel that knowledge is enough for you to make a character judgement of me, please go ahead - post it for all to see.

18. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

You used the 'cannabis is a gateway drug' argument which is fallacious. It isn't.
    You resort to insults, yet the reply to your post did not insult you. You lose.

19. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah, whoever tried to equate cheating in games to drug use.....not even close to being an analogy.

20. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

HANDBAGS!

Can you lot not have conflicting opinions without this turning into a playground? More importantly, why derail it with a drugs argument? Take the arguments somewhere private and/or relevant.

People who just straight cheat online (be it for rank/achievements/trolling Battle.net) are dickish. People who want to mess with the game for fun are having fun, but should be aware they need to turn off their network card first. People who want to mod the game using trainers are the cool kids. :thumb:

I bet Lee Harvey Oswald never cheated at Starcraft 2, and he turned out to be just fine... ¬_¬

Tags: Add Tags