1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Totally Out of Date I am

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Razgrad, 2 Dec 2010.

1. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Ok I can get the third one later on. For now, 70 over budget is enough :) My girlfriend's eyes are getting red :D OK I'm buying it . Thank you.

2. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Yay :D hope the build works out for you and everything goes well s( ^ _ o )b We've done all we can now it's up to the manufacturers, shipping, and yourself to make sure that everything gets to you all right and everything gets put together correctly, and nothing blows up when you turn it on :D.

3. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Thanks Dae and Marine, both of you helped me the most. Thanks to the others too. When I get all the components, I may post a How To Connect , if I can't figure it out myself.
    Nobody answered - do I have to format my Seagate before installing OS ?
    Also will my system gonna be 32 or 64 Bits ?

4. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Sorry , Didn't noticed Marine had already reply to my questions after he edited his post. Thank you guys !
    Edit:
    One last question, to clear my mind - at the moment i have about 50 GB free in my seagate and I didn't split the drive on partitions yet . It is one big 900+Gb partition. Can I make it , lets say 100GB free space, then, when going trough installing windows, can I simply Split these 100 GB free space into 1 partition( format it and install windows on it ), and without deleting the remaining data to make about 800GB another partition ? Ofc I will delete or move even more files in order to clear as much space as I can, but I want to have things on both drives. I don't want to move all my information on other drives, then formating the whole seagate, splitting it , installing windows and then transfer the files back into the bigger partition. ..

Edit 2: Out of topic - check some pics I took yesterday of my local pizza shop - these guys are .... (rock)
    http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/7973/imag01180.jpg
    http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/4513/imag0119x.jpg

Last edited: 7 Dec 2010
  5. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

You could try using gparted...when I move from XP to Win7, I only had 1 big partition, and I used this program to shrink the size of the partiition, and made a new partition with the unallocated space free from the existing partition, and installed my Win 7 on the new partition. You would need to burn the image file onto a CD thought, and then boot from CD when booting up the compuer. More instruction can be found here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

On a separate note...do you already have keyboard, mouse and speaker? I completely forgotten about them when putting things into the basket/list.

wow...that shops sure does some crazy awesome offers! I wouldn't mind paying £1 for a 7" pizza with five toppings right now lol

6. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Positive, I do have kbd, mouse , stereo, monitor and usb hub. I did said that many times in my posts :)
    For the OS - I will try the option I was asking about. If it's not working, then Ill fully format the drive or will move data as much as possible, and then format. Or I can maybe use some partition software to split the hdd on partitions right now while still on USB... I'll figure it out I hope. If not - Ill post again :) Delivery should be tomorrow , or lately Thursday . Hopefully, cross my fingers ...

7. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Hey Guys, The packages arrived. Now how do I deal with this wild animal ... is there a step by step tutorial on How To actually connect the components ?

Edit: Sorry I just found it. I'll try to follow it, but In case I am wrong on smth, I'will send a picture on the end so someone can approve it, and then I'll boot the PC for the first time.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=183202

8. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

THeY FORGOT TO send me the RAM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRR !!!!!!!!
    Edit ;
    How Do i Connect the Front Panel cables to the mother board. Don't know which way to plug them and where exactly

9. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

lolz. Look in your motherboard manual, it should have a list of where to put everything :p. As for which way to plug it in? Well which way doesn't break the connector/port xD?

10. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

11. Marine-RX179

I've looked at the pictures...

1) Graphic card- The graphic card need both 6-pin PCI-E power connecters plugged in, not just one (so from your Antec TruePower 650W, on the same cable there should be 1x6-pin PCI-E connector, and the other one is the 6+2pin PCI-E connector (but you only using the 6pin, and leave the +2pin)

2) Rear case fan- Your rear case fan is mounted the wrong way round...at its current direction, it will blow the air from back to inside the case instead of exhausting heat from the case

3) Additional fan- I thought you bought two fans and a one fan filter...I see one fan mounted as the rear fan, but where is the other one? I know originally I suggested you to put a fan filter and a fan at the bottom middle as air-intake, but now seeing the amount of cable from the PSU would potential blocking the air-intake from bottom anyway, I think you should use the fan filter and the second fan on the side-panel's window's mount and intake air there to deliver some cool air from outside the case to toward the graphic card instead.

4) The PSU...you could consider mounting it upside down with the fan intake facing the bottom, as the Elite 430 case should have a dust filter there by default, and your PSU would be able to intake cool air from outside the case from the bottom of the case if mounted that way

5) The long 8-pin cable from the PSU connecting to the top left of the board is actually the CPU power, rather then hanging it over the graphic card, there should be enough space under your graphic card, which you should be able to route the CPU power cable through there instead. You can have a look at the following pic as reference:
    http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer.php?id=silverstone_ps05b&image=silverstone_ps05_sys1_lrg

Last edited: 9 Dec 2010
  12. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

Hey guys, Just to inform you with my status :
    1: I do have my new machine set up and Running.
    2: the USB wireless adapter I bought i't's not compatible with my WIn7 64 Bit os, so I am using my Android phone as a network bridge, and using it's wireless signal for my PC.
    3: I had many problems with the Hard Drive Issu . After messing arround with it, I came up with a separate partition of just 20 GB, And i had no choise but to install the OS on it. Some how it didn't let me exted these 20 GB with the 100 gn unpartitioned space i Had. So after i Installed the OS and had it running, I used some third party software to merge the 20 + 80 partitions, and now i have a 100 gb bootable partition ( but it is located still on the end of the hard drive''s plate. The rest 800+ gb are in a separate partition, but so far I don't see any speed issues caused by the fact that the boot partition is not on the first place in the hdd.

4. All my other hardwares seems to be working fine so far. Good thig is that Android ( and not only ) support network bridge.

5 : Would like someone to suggest me for a good USB wireless adaptor that will work with my machine nad my OS. W7 64

6: Thank you all for the efforts you made to help me.

7: Havent tried the full video performance of my video yet, So i'll drop by later on with more info. Thanks guys !

8: I did not use my other 1 tb hdd ( western digital 5400 rpm) ad internal, as I didnt find a 3rd sata cable. So it's now on USB.

9: I did enter into my BIOS once by pomping F1 after reboot, to set up the booting priority , but since then I CAN NOT enter my bios anymore, and Don't know what to do. It's really annoying to wait for the DVD check first .... ...

10 .... 9 is enough for now :)

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Why can't you just do what you did the first time?

14. Marine-RX179

F1 is only for the first time bios set-up when the CMOS is still clear (with no settings saved to it). After that to enter bios, it is spamming the delete key after computer start-up.

15. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

thank you Marine, U saved the day AGAIN :)

16. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Sorry I never posted back with the Scan list, I totally forgot. Apologies.

I thought Marine and I had nailed this on page1?!

What did you buy in the end?

17. Marine-RX179

Refer to Razgrad's post in #37.

He already received the parts, and and seems like he already got his PC up and running. I hope he has taken noticed of my advises in my post at #51.

18. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Right, hope it's all ok then. Good luck.

19. Razgrad

Razgrad Minimodder

To Marine - Yes I did rewire the pC , as you told me.
    Yes I did find another fan, and Will mount it tomorrow on the side of the case.
    And yes, everything is running.
    Little Issue is :
    when my PC turns off the monitor signal, but its till running, my monitor get a message - looking for hdmi signal, and it never goes to sleep. and I have to turn it off manually. ...

20. Marine-RX179

Sound more to do with the monitor than the PC. But I would say just ignore minor issue like these...just switch off the monitor manually...that's what I always do anyway.

Tags: