1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skimlinks adverts

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Cupboard, 13 Jan 2011.

?

SkimLinks: good idea or bad idea?

1. Good idea; you should keep them.

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  2. Bad idea; please remove them.

213 vote(s)
    94.7%
  3. Personally, I'm not bothered either way.

11 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Last edited: 22 Jan 2011
  2. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Just use adblock plus/no script and you won't even see them.

3. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

I don't like them - not one bit.

Like others have said, it's just sneaky to hijack someone's post and fill it with ads. But Dennis, please don't take this as a sign that Intellitxt adverts would be a better alternative because they make themselves obvious as adverts.

The bottom line is that we just don't want any sort of advertising in OUR posts.

Material likes this.
  4. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

You seem to have missed the main part of the problem with skimlinks. Adblock will not stop other people seeing links in my posts that I have not put there.

I have absolutely no problem with bit-tech having adverts on the site, infact I think on the whole the bit-tech advertising is relevant and unobtrusive. This however undermines the whole principal of the forum

murtoz likes this.
  5. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Dare i take this OT? In my sig, i put a quick description of skimlinks, and put the word 'posts'. This was automatically changed to 'signature' :confused: Anyone know why?

I've replaced posts with 'entries' for now.

Material likes this.
  6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

got my vote in, might bail and head to realredraider forums on the simple fact that every link i seem to clink on thinking its related to the topic i get sent to ebay or anywhere on the net.

Bit-tech, its been fun these last few years, but this takes the F**KING PISS!

Material likes this.
  7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

In that case Burnout, please do modify your signature with the relevant link to this thread. If enough people do it, we'll have dozens of pages of posts from members with red anti-skimlinks text in their sigs. It's a good way to show opposition to this decision. Thanks for voting.

Here's the link - remember to replace {curly} brackets with [square] ones when you place it in your signature:

{B}{U}{url=http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=201523}{COLOR="Red"}JOIN THE PROTEST! VOTE FOR NO SKIMLINKS ON BIT-TECH FORUMS!{/COLOR}{/url}{/U}{/B}

Material likes this.
  8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Good enough?

Material likes this.
  9. Canon

Canon Reformed

Have went down the same route myself, it's all I can do not to swear. So nay, no longer a CPC sub.

Material likes this.
  10. koola

koola Minimodder

Voted. Noticed these today and they are horrible, please bit-tech remove them.

Right now I have AdBlock running and i don't see any skimlinks, ads etc, Used to have bit-tech on the white list but not anymore!

Material likes this.
  11. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

For a second I agreed with you to an extent (although surely bit-tech is missing revenue because of this - it is one of the few site I allow ads on). However, then I saw this:

And I must say I couldn't agree more.

Material likes this.
  12. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Maybe an ultimatum? Skimlinks removed before 1 Feb or we all take a week off from visiting BT? (as in a strike)

Material likes this.
  13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I was thinking along the same lines

14. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

I personally feel that is a brilliant idea!, Everyone needs to put this in their signature, once again here is the code for your sigs, remember to replace { with [ when putting it in :)

{B}{U}{url=http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=201523}{COLOR="Red"}JOIN THE PROTEST! VOTE FOR NO SKIMLINKS ON BIT-TECH FORUMS!{/COLOR}{/url}{/U}{/B}

Material likes this.
  15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Perfect :thumb:

Thanks buddy! And everyone else who is helping by voting and changing their signature. Letter status update: Still working on the first draft. I've had a very busy few days with work but have tomorrow to myself so I will work on it then. Gotta get the wording just right :)

Material likes this.
  16. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

Add-block is on and working nicely at blocking everything on bit-tech...
    might keep it on now, forgotten I had whitelisted bit-tech! Think I'll keep it advert free forever!

17. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:eyebrow: :miffed: :wallbash:
    <- is Contemplating taking Bit-Tech off the whitelist.
    :sigh:

Material likes this.
  18. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

When you think about it, the opinion of the forum members counts for more than just some random user. Forums are built upon their content. Content which is generated by the members. Think of all of the awesome project logs that are created on a daily basis. Some of which go on to gain a lot of attention and draw people from all over the web. That is how I was introduced to Bit-Tech many years ago.

So when forum members give feedback, it is not just some random person. That individual represents part of the unpaid workforce of Dennis Publishing (not an official employee, but their contributions add to the company's bottom line). Yes there is content created by the paid employees of Dennis Publishing, but the vast majority of the content that attracts so many individuals is that which has been created by forum members. Should the members leave, then the site looses traffic as the awesome mods are posted elsewhere. In turn that means less money from advertising.

Its a symbiotic relationship where we are furnished with an awesome place to come share our thoughts, ideas, and creations. In turn Dennis Publishing makes a profit.

I am glad that this is recognized and that our feedback has been taken into consideration in the past, and I hope that it continues to happen. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a good tech website that has not turned into an ad and spam trap. Please keep bit-tech from going down that sad road.

Uni: I look forward to your letter and offer my support.

EDIT: WTF LINK IN MY POST!?! I have not put any links in this post, anything that shows up is skimlinks

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Jan 2011
    Material likes this.
  19. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

What irritates me is the way it was implemented, which is to say, very very quietly. They could have been open and honest, explained the situation and given us a list of choices to vote on, Skimlinks being one of them.

Material likes this.
  20. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I have removed bit-tech from my adblock whitelist. Really cannot be bothered to find out how to block the skimlinks only. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.