Skimlinks adverts

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Cupboard, 13 Jan 2011.

?

SkimLinks: good idea or bad idea?

1. Good idea; you should keep them.

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  2. Bad idea; please remove them.

213 vote(s)
    94.7%
  3. Personally, I'm not bothered either way.

11 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I must've gotten used to ABP, cos I really notice the performance hit from the adds now that I've disabled it :(

2. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

oops. bit late in changing my sig back...

Bit-tech is whitelisted again :)

Yeh, my netbook slows to a crawl for any ads - nothing is whitelisted on that :/

3. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Excellent. Bit-Tech is on white list.

4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I'm glad democracy prevailed :clap:

This doesn't mean I forgive you bit :nono: I'm thinking about speaking to my lawyers about some epic compensation claims :miffed:

5. Canon

Canon Reformed

Agreed. I could be wrong here, but I *think* those price links that are added at the beginning of each article are chosen by staff and not by any third party, wether or not there is a third party influence on these links I do not know, however I find them extremely useful and appropriate in EVERY product review. It's another matter all together having third party links throughout an article linking to products that may or may not be at a higher price from a source that may not be favoured by a majority of readers. I feel that through this the bridge between staff members views and those of the bit-tech community's are being obstructed somewhat. I myself am happy in the know, with that I mean, I will be able to determine the difference between links posted by staff purposefully and those by a third party, for others this may not be the case.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Good news :) I refuse to use an adblocker as I believe it to be an obligation that if a site provides me with free, and in Bit's case excellent, content then I should suffer whatever it needs to do in order to provide that privilage.

Obviously it's my decision whether to continue to visit the site or not but in this case I'm glad to see that Dennis Publishing care about us forumites and am especially glad to see that Skimlinks ads will be differentiated in the main site from manually chosen links. Good work team :thumb:

7. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

Just had to say - nice 1

The customer is always right :p lol

I meant to add this suggestion when the skimlinks were here, but........

Alot of forums I visit have ads/banners and 'ad' edited posts that are displayed when you view the forum as a 'guest' but not when you log in........

sorry if its allready been said

mvagusta likes this.
  8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Ah, perfect. Sig adjusted to suit that all is well once again

9. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Thanks bit-tech. Fully whitelisted you in ABP again!

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I must have missed that week/this thread

I'd rather have the clap than visit a site with those kind of advertising. I'm glad this has been sorted out. I shall continue to visit bit-tech

mvagusta likes this.
  11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Edit: all gone :)

12. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

This thread seems to have served it's purpose now that we've removed Skimlinks from the forum. Before I lock the thread and we move onto more pleasant fields, Alicia, the CEO from Skimlinks wanted to say a few words:

'I'm Alicia, CEO of Skimlinks, and I just wanted to jump in and address some of the points raised in this thread. We want to reassure everyone that we have not been blind to your concerns, and take your feedback and suggestions on board. The suggestions and concerns you have raised are hugely helpful, and will continue to feed into how we help publishers earn an income, and not interfere with your user experience. Thank you for being such an active and honest community, we are glad we could participate and address some of the concerns raised.'

Lizard here again; thanks to everyone for your feedback over the last month or so and sticking with bit-tech as we experiment with new features, is appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.