Apple "screwing" iPhone customers

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 21 Jan 2011.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Haters gonna hate.

2. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

If you buy any product from Apple, you know you are going to be screwed one way or another. They are even worse than Sony at milking all they can from their customers.

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I don't see how!

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Apple just has a vested interest in protecting itself from the modding community. :lol:

5. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

Locked into iTunes and many other things ! Locked into App store. It's a choice of course, so we can vote with our feet. It was me (formerly Cybergenics) who sold you that 3GS, is it still going ?

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

ORLY? Check out the competition: the Motorola Xoom Tablet (Android). $800,-- and you have to buy a 3G data plan ($20,-- for 1Gb; $80,-- for 10Gb), even if just for one month, to be able to activate its WiFi.

Still think it's Apple who is screwing you?

7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Being locked into the app store isn't a problem for me, it supplies me with everything I need (Although I would love the option of syncing over wireless network) but I am an iPhone lover now. The wife has the 3GS now mate, I bought the iPhone 4 when my contract was up for renewal. How's my old Blackberry doing? (I still kind of miss it, I loved that phone).

8. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

Ah ok, I gave that Blackberry to my Nephew, I think he sold it to my Neice, businessman he is.
    I have an iPhone 4, fancy a change, am going to sell it.

9. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Yes, I didn't say others weren't doing the same - in fact I said that they were :duh:

10. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Is there any chance of us not creating threads full of hyperbole and manic hatred towards Apple?

edit - didn't realise the thread had already turned polite, my bad.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

It's quite annoying as it's just one of those little things that allows them to get a little more money out of the average consumer. With my views on apple I think that if you have that much money to buy an Iphone, you can afford to have apple do it for you too.

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

That is 100% BS! The fact that they are doing it I mean. I don't see any logical reason why they need to do that.

But back on subject, I opened one of my old phones, to replace the screen that I had cracked. Other than that there is no reason to open a phone. But I see no reason to make it hard for someone to get it open. If I want to, I will. Why waste your time developing anything that will try and stop me from opening it?

GoodBytes likes this.
  13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

In general, to stop people cracking the thing open in a desperate attempt to fix it. Apple's official support via Apple Stores is absolutely first class (though expensive), so you'd think they wouldn't have a big problem with people trying DIY repairs when they have the Apple Store as an alternative. The unofficial computer repair places will certainly just buy the relevant tools, so I'm guessing that they're trying to stop people at home working on it. That makes sense as there's a proliferation of online repair guides from people like iFixit; perhaps Apple is just trying to set more obstacles to protect the lucrative repair trade. In general, I reckon that if not having this tool is going to stop you working on your device, you don't have the necessary skills to fix it anyway.

14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Yeah it always comes down to money.
    Seeing how the screw is a new design though, not having the correct screw driver isn't a matter of skill. Its a matter of improvising!

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

You'd be surprised just how many geeks out there overestimate their knowledge and abilities. One thing that always struck me about my friends in college was just how many of them had no clue what they were doing. And they were all engineering students! One of them thought that a temperature sensor in his CPU would allow it to run better if it got a little warmer. He opened up the case and blasted the CPU with a blowtorch made from a spray can and a lighter. Many other friends routinely screwed up their systems to the point of having to reformat and reinstall, for no other reason than they started deleting system files because they were sure they knew what they were doing. The next step was of course to blame Microsoft for making such a flaky OS.

This is why a company like Apple might be keen on adding a little roadblock to prevent cracking open a device like an iPhone. Hard core geeks won't be bothered because they've got the right tools and they understand the risk. The casual tinkerer might just think twice before prying it open, then sending it to Apple because "it just broke."

16. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

:eeek:

17. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

18. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

19. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

my iphone 3g is approaching the 16 month mark so it may be time to consider changing the battery. I charge it every night so don't really have any major issues with battery running out, although I had to learn that lesson the hard way, long gone are the days wehn you can have a phone charged up for 2-3 days before the battery dies.

Can't see how you can see this is a way to milk money from people. A screwdiver on ebay will only cost a few quid for people who are hell bent on opening it, hardly a preventative measure designed to prvent people from opening the device.

Most phone companies who undertake these battery swaps are probably well versed in this anyway

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There are first generation iPhones that are still functioning perfectly on their original battery. There is absolutely no reason to open your iPhone.