1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Shogun 2: Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 4 Feb 2011.

1. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Awww man that looks awesome, still waiting for the game to arrive to the shelves... will be soon :waah:

2. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Is the game worth buying then? How large is it too download on steam, as i will have to wait till thursday to get it in the post.

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

16.3GB to download by itself. Loving the game so far :D

4. 27trowels

27trowels What's a Dremel?

Game is awesome - it runs smooth as silk maxed out on my system (see sig) they seem to have done a much better QA on this than they did on Empire. Also surprisingly it installed no problems first time from disk without going through the usual steam ass assault where it tries to download it instead!

5. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Ile be having to wait for the post then.

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

With any luck I'll be grabbing my copy of the game at the end of the week, just waiting to see what my bank balance is like so I can decide on the regular box of the game or the collector's edition with the bamboo chess set.
    I don't play chess though so it seems like it might be a bit of a waste on me. :\

7. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Very tempted to pick this up myself, so many good games coming out this month

8. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

No one REALLY plays chess, theyre just nice display pieces ;)

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ugh, got my ass handed to me on a platter after about two hours. Bunch of relatively easy victories, and then blam, wiped out in a single fight when trapped on an island. I need to re-evaluate how I play somewhat!

That said, I still can't find the unit movement controls. Where the hell are the buttons for forward/back, rotate left/right and increase/decrease files? Fed up of manually dragging out units when I want to move.

10. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Loving Shogun 2! Didn't want to fall in love with it too early but it's my new favourite TW.

It fixes so much from ETW and NTW in terms of AI and other niggles, the diplomacy now is actually worthwhile paying attention too. With enough archers it feels a little easy to hold forts but that's literally the only problem I'm having with it.

Playing hard currently and its a decent challenge and doesn't feel it's cheating at all yet. And the more physical warfare of swords spears and bows is really welcome back. Line infantry with muskets really didn't feel right in TW.

Edit : I've played 5 hours thus far. God that went fast.

11. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Played 8 hours thus far. Great game, fantastic immersion and well polished :D

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Arrived! :D
    Installing it.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Lower left corner, below the generals portrait.

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I'm loving the game thus far. Just so much fun and a lot of depth.

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

D'oh, I thought they were just pretty decorations. Thanks! Now I might actually win...

16. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Waiting for the post man today, be playing it by the evening :D

17. Zipu

Zipu What's a Dremel?

I don't get it, what are the use of the walls if all of their army can climb it easily ?
    Does your troops get a bonus of some kind when fighting behind the walls ?

18. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Well the bonus is the enemy are drip fed into the castle and so can be hacked to bits easily.

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ugh, in my opinion, Shogun 2 is suffering from the typical Total War problem. Imagine this scenario:

Castle siege, enemy defending with 17 units (2x General, then a mix of Yari and Bow units, but mainly Yari). I'm attacking with 20 units (2x General, mix of Yari and Bow units, Light Cavalry, a single katana Samauri), so I definitely have a superior force. No siege weapons as it's still early game.

Gatehouse gets burnt to the ground by the one unit that can actually do this (katana samauri), every other unit when told to do it refused. All bow units run out of ammo quite quickly, although they did wipe out the opposing bow units and kill the enemy general.

So, I storm the keep with every single unit. It turns in to an uncontrollable melee for twenty minutes, with no tactics, nothing. Just a bunch of blokes hitting each other with weapons, and no grasp of what the hell is going on, what the likely outcome will be, nothing.

Eventually, my units prevailed, but I didn't know they were going to, nor could I do anything to pull out units that were being hammered - I lost half my army in that fight, and what's worse, as a player I was bored whilst it played out.

See, this is why I liked Empire and Napoleon so much. You had tactical control, and had to use it, right through the battles. Melee happened (regularly), but it was short and sharp, and usually only involved a handful of units at a time - which meant you could predict the outcome, and then take steps if necessary.

Am I playing this game wrong? Is it normal for any large scale battle to descend in to a mass melee with no real tactical control over the result? Battles on the open field are somewhat different I'll admit, but I find myself chasing enemy units all over the map...

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

I stopped doing castle siege battles as attacker a while back (Rome?).
    Much better to just siege and wait those turns than lose half an army.

As for the incontrollable confusion, it is expected in siege battles. There just isnt enough room to manouver. Gets better if you reduce the unit size and the castles get bigger.