1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, apologies if this is blasphemous but does anyone here have any experience with the Dahon Jack D7? I quite like the idea of a folding bike but don't like the small wheel sizes that's usually associated with those.

[​IMG]

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

No, it was second hand. Its an SX Trail 2 that he swapped for his dirt bike.

Its got the spacers.

The thing is, the person he bought it from had to get the front wheel off his brother who was using it on his bike, so he ended up with two front wheels. One of which I think was a QR Pro 2 which had been converted to 20mm with the kit, and the other was originally a 20mm. I think the spacers are on correctly, they're the same way round as when he got them, but whether they were on right then, I'm not sure.

I thought it might be the 20mm axle that is worn. Its hard trying to feel where the play is, :D.

3. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Filled up my missus' car with petrol yesterday. It's a diesel...

So, I used my bike for the first time in years, cycled from Bishopbriggs to Polmadie (6 miles) in around 40 minutes to collect the car after it had been flushed.
    Gotta pack in the booze and fags, the ride took its toll today but I really enjoyed it... :)

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Had to read that a second time to get the jist, :D

I thought it was a dig at the price of diesel, so you used the bike, :D :D

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I have a 2 year old pro 2 on the front of my 4X bike and I've used it with 20mm and 15mm and replaced the bearings and I can't get rid of the small amount of play it has. I contacted Hope and they said they could have a look if I send it back but it's not a big enough issue for me to want to do that.

I just built some new wheels for my DH bike using a brand new pro 2 evo front hub and there is no play with the 20mm axle. I think it's probably the axle that wears out so the bearings aren't being supported properly.

6. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Indeed, and I'm so glad I did - really felt good to be on a bike again (after the best part of 15 years)!

However, my arse is rather sore this morning! :eek:

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

What are peoples opinions on night riding?
    Thinking of scheduling in a ride for like an hour at 11 or so, as I've got lots of spare time then, and it's unlikely I'll get any work done at that kinda time until near deadlines.
    Still just as beneficial exercise wise? (I think the metabolism drops in the evening or something?)

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Been using pro2 for about 4 years, never let me down, fantastic hubs, only ever had to replace the BBs once, i use 20mm front, and 130mm rear, both pro2

9. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I do it all the time. It's great, very quiet thanks to the reduced traffic on the roads. I spend more time at night trailing though so from that POV it's not too much different. Personally I prefer riding in the evenings before sunset. The temps do dip a bit so wrap up warm, even for summer.

The thing is you'll need invest in some good (and expensive) lights to get the most out of it. Most bike lights are designed for commuting down lit roads. I run a Niterider 250 and Cateye EL150 (£120 worth of kit) and that's not enough. From experience I would recommend a 500 lumens kit as a minimum.

Give it a shot though, you won't know until you try it.

10. GeorgeStorm

Just got back, rode for about 45mins.
    Did the same route as yesterday, took longer probs because at times I went slower due to the darkness, i felt (and feel) very tired, presumably got less energy due to the time of day, and I think my tires are even flatter, will pump them up tomorrow.
    Really liked it though, and my lights were good enough to get by on, although if I do make it part of my daily routine, I will look to upgrade.
    (my current set)
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/216/1412/canyon-double-led-cycle-light-set.html

11. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Well, took the bike out for the first time this year today (fair weather riding.. yes). Realised I need something suited for roads - trialsish frame does not suit! Unsure whether to sell mine and buy a new one, or try and trade it in somewhere... choices choices!

Also realised I'm rather unfit! *breathes...*

12. GeorgeStorm

Just had another ride.
    Methinks my tires may be gone, as I pumped them earlier, but they looked father flat when riding.
    Since I'm making riding a daily thing now,
    Am considering getting a half decent bike.
    At the moment I ride a 'reflex zero' bike, from cycle king or something, some just cheapo standard 'mountain bike'

At the moment, I seem to just be riding on roads etc, so am thinking if I were to get a decent bike, might aswell be a road bike
    Any recommendations for the lower end of the price spectrum?

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

How much are you looking to spend? I've got a '09 Specialized Allez Sport. Rides really well, I do need new tires though.

You can get the lower end models for IIRC £500 or so.

14. GeorgeStorm

I'm really not sure
    for the first time, my student loan is more than my accommodation, so I actually have some money to play with.
    However, i don' know if i should then spend it all on a bike :p
    I've had a quick lok on evanscycles at the 5-700 range.
    Anyone know much about cube bikes? haven't seen a lot of mention of them?

Bikes that I had a quick look at:
    Trek 1.2
    Specialized Allez 24
    GT GTR 3
    Felt F95
    Cube Aerial
    Dawes Giro 300 (slightly less)

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Cube are fine bikes i had a look at one, the biggest problem i see is they start with the groupset and work back to the frame. So you might get full XT but corners may be cut at the wheels or the frame. Personally I prefer the best frame in the price bracket its easier to hang new baubles than to get a new tree.

The 1.2 is decent bike i've not had a go on the rest.

16. GeorgeStorm

Thanks, as I said, I know nothing about this kinda stuff (in terms of what a good frame is,, which wheels are good etc)
    The 1.2 has a lot of good reviews from what I've read.
    And the 2010 model is £550, compared to £700+ for the 2011

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Last years model is likely just as good plus its nice and cheap. Go buy.

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've got a 2009 1.2 and I luuuuuuuuurve it to pieces.

19. GeorgeStorm

There are only 2 frame sizes available, 43cm and 50cm, would either be suitable?
    I'm about 5'11 just over 11st

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

to get a rough idea, take your inside leg measurement, subtract 3" (1" for road bike), then subtract 10". This will give you a rough idea for frame size.